Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thoughts on Declan

Hi Berries,

I posted about a month ago that I was trying to think of a boys name for when we have a third child. Several people suggested Declan to go with our sons Logan and Reid. I ran it by DH and he said to add it to the short list. He let me know today that he likes it, and would seriously consider it. I like that it's Gaelic with an Irish connotation (since Logan is Scottish and Reid is English, and our backgrounds are Irish, Scottish, English, and French), and I love how it sounds, but I am concerned that when I see it written down, I see it as De-clan. I don't know why this bothers me, but it does. Otherwise, I think it's a great name and I want to seriously consider it for our child.

I was hoping that you guys could answer a few questions for me:

1-What do you think of the name Declan?
    2-What do you think a boy named Declan would be like?
    3-Do you think it goes well with Logan and Reid?
    4-Do you think that with the last name Feeney it sounds a little too Irish for a Canadian?
    5-Could you recommend any middle names that would match in style to my other sons' middle names: Michael and Patrick?

Sorry for such a long list of questions :S I really love to hear your opinions (obviously the suggestions from my last post has led to something, which makes me very excited)!

Thanks so much!

I LOVE Declan - and I think it sounds just lovely with Feeney. In fact, since it is such a strong Gaelic name I think it sounds the best with an Irish last name than any other (I'm a McCabe so I might be biased there!) and there is NO SUCH THING as too Irish We loved Declan for our first but ended up naming him after my father - at the time we were considering Declan Charles and Declan Thomas based on family names we had. Seamus and Cormac are two of my other absolute favorite Irish names! Best of luck to you - congrats!!

ehh, its okay - it never appealed to me, but i dont think its a bad name, and goes with your other sons names well. i knew someone named declan and every one called him d!ck lick declan. horrible, i know - but maybe thats what ruined it for me.

Declan was on my list for awhile but the more I said it the less I liked it. I find it such a clunky name but I love a lot of other Irish names like Seamus, Finn, Flynn. It's not too Irish with your last name. An Irish name would suit your last name.

1-What do you think of the name Declan? I think of Deck Chair or a land full of decks. Never thought of the de-clan thing, but now that you say it....
    2-What do you think a boy named Declan would be like? I know a boy named Declan so all I think of is him. He's 2 1/2 into everything with dark straight hair and a bit chubby
    3-Do you think it goes well with Logan and Reid? not bad, but I don't really like it.
    4-Do you think that with the last name Feeney it sounds a little too Irish for a Canadian? Declan doesn't sound Irish to me.
    5-Could you recommend any middle names that would match in style to my other sons' middle names: Robert, Thomas, Riley, Conner
    Livy/Lucy : Geneva/Gwen : Coralie/Alice : Noelle/Eve
    Eli/Bennett : Jude/Zane: Luke/Leo : Levi/Phineas