Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

When spelling makes all the difference...

Are there names that you LOVE when spelled one way, but are less enthusiastic about (or even dislike) when spelled differently?

I'm not talking about "creative" or invented spellings rubbing you the wrong way, I mean established and equally "correct" but different spellings that achieve identical sounds. Of course one of the easiest examples is the Kat-- family of names:

Catherine vs. Katherine vs. Kathryn, etc.
    Cailtin vs. Katelyn, etc.
    Cate vs. Kate

^^just an example, I'm not asking for opinions on specifically THIS name family.

I'm willing to bet that this is strongly colored by trendiness. In the above examples, I prefer the currently-popular C to the comparatively past-trend K. There are other legitimate arguments to be made as far as intuitiveness of pronunciation, or looking for a more-unique approach to a common name (ie. Mali instead of Molly).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by yellow; June 26th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

I don't have a preference between the Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn group. The ONLY spelling of Caitlin I like is this one, which I love. Cate vs Kate...I don't think I have a preference either.

With my own name, there are 3 "acceptable" variations: Claire (my name), Clare and Clair. I like mine best, and absolutely cannot stand "Clair". It just looks SO incomplete with that hook of an "r" at the end.

Cecelia is on my list...but I don't like the way that Cecilia looks.

Norah is my list...I don't like it quite so much without the "h".

I prefer Elisabeth with an "s" over the "z".

And then there's Anne/Ann. Anne looks regal, queenly and beautiful. Ann looks simple and dull. Such a difference a little "e" makes!

Because I have a daughter named Caitlin, I feel I can weigh in on that portion of the "Kat" names. Caitlin is the correct Gaelic/Celtic spelling of the name. It's not even pronounced "Kate-lynn" but "Kathleen" in Irish and "Katlin" in Welsh. The weirdo American versions of the name -- Kaitlyn, Caitlynne, Katelyn, et. al. -- infuriate me. Okay, rant over.

I prefer "ie" to "y"; I'm not sure why I do. So I like Mollie over Molly, Jamie over Jamey, Freddie over Freddy. Then I tend towards more ethnically-spelled names, so Kai or Cei instead of Kay, Carl (Danish) instead of Karl, etc.

And lastly I prefer the traditional spellings. My teeth are gritted every time I have a student show up whose name is Britni instead of Brittany (gag, I really dislike the name) but even worse, Jhon instead of John (what is wrong with people these days?) and Zhane instead of Jane (yuck). Another one I dislike is the so-called phonetic spelling (not in my linguistics course!) of names, such as Renae for the French Renee, and then the really weird ones, like my student Antqwan who pronounced his name like the French Antoine (the q was silent!!!!).

I only prefer Kathrine/Kathryn if you plan on calling your kid Katie/Katy since Katie does not start with a C. If you play on calling her Cathy or Catherine, then I prefer the C spelling.

I hate the Emmalee spelling and prefer Emily. Not sure if it's a creative spelling or not, but I met an Emmalee.....

I prefer Nora without the h, since the h seems unnecessary in my opinion

I also prefer the spelling Madeline other Madeleine. The Madeleine spelling just isn't as appealing.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

I like Lily over Lilly

Katherine over Catherine or Kathryn

Lilian over Lilianne or Lilyann etc.

Anabel over Annabelle

Allison over Allyson

Kimberly over Kimberley or Cymberley!

Deena over Dena

Dinah over Dinnah or Dina

Emily over Emmalee

Skye over Sky

Jacob over Jakub or Jacub or Jaycub

Jason over Jaysin or Jacen

Aiden over Aidan or Ayden

Christian over Krystian

Kamryn (I know weird! I like Kammy, so shoot me!) over Cameron (because that's just so dorky!)

Jaden over Jadon or Jaydin or Jaedan

Jaxson over Jackson (yea yea, Jack is boring)

Nickolas over Nicholas or Nikolas

Michael over Mykel or Michel or any of the others, bleh

Christopher over Kristopher or Cristopher

Madison over Madyson etc.

Addyson over Addison (just looks more feminine)

Brianna over Breanna

Ariana over Arianna

Isabelle over Isobel or any of the others

Kyra or Kiera over Keera or Kyrah

Dorah over Dora

Norah over Nora

Susanna over Susannah

Hailey over Haley or Haleigh

Jasmine over Jazmin etc.

Mia over Myah