Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sister for Felicity Katherine

Hello Nameberries!

This is my first time posting, probably because naming our daughter Felicity was so easy and clear cut. But now that I'm pregnant with girl #2, things aren't so easy, and I could use some help and feedback.

RIght now, DH and I don't have too many names on the table. (We just found out the sex, and DH won't talk names until that point. Argh!)

Our last name starts with an H and is one syllable; also kind of masculine sounding, so I tend towards wanting something a bit softer to soften the blow. I also am looking for a name that is recognizable but not overly used.

The names the are on our list at this point are:
    1. Helen (probably Helen Elizabeth)--I love the alliteration of HH, but Helen is so far the only name I can think of that I'd use. (Harper is not our style, a friend has a daughter named Harriet...) My other hesitation is that second daughter would feel like she got the old grandma name (even though I think it is so lovely and classic; compared to Felicity, it is a bit more old-fashioned)
    2. Naomi (possible middle names Alice or Caroline)--not sure how this sounds with Felicity?
    3. Marjorie (nn Jorie) (possible MN Alice or Claire)--how is this name perceived by you guys? My grandma, who I love and adore, is Margery, but I'm not crazy about that spelling. And I think the NN Jorie is really cute and quirky, and sounds cute with Fliss, which is what we call Felicity sometimes. But maybe I'm crazy, and it's a terrible name? Also, what do you think of using a name to honor someone but using a different spelling? My g'ma is the most laid-back woman ever and would be stunned if we used her name, but I still don't know if that's just a major faux pas?

That's pretty much all we have, so we are definitely open to new ideas! (DH is pretty traditional so he's the tougher one to sell)
    Other names I love but are off the table are: Blythe (DH hates it), Juliette, Eleanor, Charlotte (too popular).

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by flissmama; June 23rd, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

I think you have some good options here.
    1. I think Helena would fit better than Helen with Felicity and Helena Elizabeth or some of your other mns work well (i.e. Helena Caroline).
    2. To me, Naomi is a little less girly sounding than Felicity, but I like the name and think it works well with either mn.
    3. I like Marjorie nn Jorie and agree that Jorie and Fliss sound well together too. Marjorie Claire or Marjorie Caroline work well.

Here are some other possibilities-- some other H, N, and M names as well as others that I think would work well with Felicity (my favorites are with a *:

Honora/Honoria*
    Henrietta (lots of cute nns-- Hennie, Etta, Retta)
    Heloise
    Margaret
    Marguerite
    Marina
    Miranda*
    Marcella
    Marjolaina
    Millicent
    Natalie/Natalia
    Nadia
    Lucinda*
    Priscilla
    Constance
    Eliza*
    Caroline
    Louisa
    Julia
    Aminta
    Amelia
    Alexandra/Alessandra
    Elodie
    Ottilie
    Rosamond
    Rosalie
    Coralie
    Sylvie
    Susannah
    Judith
    Genevieve*
    Dorothea*
    Eloisa*

I love the idea of Helen (or a Helen name) with Felicity! I think they fit really well. I like Felicity and Helena even more, though, I think those just sing together. I also love the idea of honoring your grandmother with Marjorie, especially if it would mean a lot to her... I'm just not the hugest Marjorie/Margery fan, sorry! It does feel very old-lady to me. Perhaps a Margaret variation, like Margot, or even just Margaret? I think Felicity and Margaret are great together, and Margaret has so many lovely nns--Mae, Meg, Maggie, Greta, Margot, Mari, Ari, Maisie, Daisy... I think Fliss and Greta or Fliss and Daisy (or even Fliss and Maisie) would be adorable together. Or even Helena Marjorie?

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

1. I love the HH thing as well. I know someone with those initials and she uses them together a lot. Helen is alright, but I like Helena better. Felicity and Helena sound beautiful together.

2. Naomi is interesting. Not my style, but there's nothing wrong with it. I think it sounds fine with Felicity and it's not particularly popular. Caroline is a perfect middle name for it.

3. I think Marjorie could work. I definitely prefer that spelling. If you're worried about it being weird but you want to honor your grandmother, maybe you could use it as a middle name? That's a very common practice. Jorie is cute. I know a Jordan who goes by Jori. I like Claire better than Alice as a middle name because Claire sounds a bit more modern. Fliss and Jorie sound adorable together!
    I don't have or want any kids. I just love names!

Top 10: Andrea, Chelsea, Tara, Brooke, Alexandra, Nathaniel, Cody, Grant, Alexander, Graham

I also love Russian and Irish names, as well as the names of many cities and countries.

I like Naomi and Marjorie with Felicity. I think both of those names flow better with Felicity than Helen. I agree with the other posters that Helena would be a better fit. Also, I knew a Helen once and she hated her name (thought it was too old lady sounding).
    Favorite girl names of the moment: Cecilia, Eleanor, Amelia, Violet, Charlotte, and Ramona

Favorite boy names of the moment: Henry, Micah, Jack, Elijah, Owen, and Jonah