Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl name ideas

@ augusta lee I don't think she asked if YOU like masculine names for girls. I believe the question was what are some suggestions for masculine girls names because her husband (and her it sounds like) already know that those are the names they like. If you have different taste then maybe try another thread for frilly girl names. It sounds like thAt is more your thing.

I love masculine girl names here are some suggestions:
    Maxine nn Max
    Andi - I know a little girl Andi adorable
    Kenny - I know a little girl named Kenessey (belch) but they call her Kenny which I love you could do a lot of different names to get to Kenny/kenni/kennie ex. Kennedy, McKenna Kenley
    Cam / Cameron - my daughters name is Kameryn nn Kam
    Charlee - I know a baby names Charlotte nn Charlee
    Spencer - love this I see some one else suggested also
    Carter- just went to a preschool grad and there was the cutest little blonde girl named Carter
    Mikke- Mike-ah had a girl friend named Mikke

Also I love James !!

Quote Originally Posted by meyers2408 View Post
    @ augusta lee I don't think she asked if YOU like masculine names for girls. I believe the question was what are some suggestions for masculine girls names because her husband (and her it sounds like) already know that those are the names they like. If you have different taste then maybe try another thread for frilly girl names. It sounds like thAt is more your thing.
    Actually, I love no-frills girl names with unisex nicknames -- just like the ones I suggested for the OP. I think there's a fallacy that strong, streamlined girls' names don't exist, which is why so many great names get poached from the boys. See Aubrey and Vivian, two historical victims of name-poaching; I fear Elliot, a perennial favorite, is going the same way. Honestly, I find that rather a shame. Whatever we may feel about gender, the fact of the matter is that once a boy's name comes into use by girls, it quickly falls out of favor with boys. A reverse trend does not exist. Additionally, as I touched upon in my post, boys' names on girls do have a very trendy and rather tacky sound to my ears. If the OP had posted looking for names in the category of Brooklyn and Nevaeh, I would have done exactly what I tried to do here: lead her gently in a different direction. This is a board for people who love names -- and we tend to have pretty strong opinions about them. Which we share.

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    I think there's a fallacy that strong, streamlined girls' names don't exist, which is why so many great names get poached from the boys. See Aubrey and Vivian, two historical victims of name-poaching; I fear Elliot, a perennial favorite, is going the same way. Honestly, I find that rather a shame.
    That's exactly how I feel about boys' names being used on girls.

However, with that being said, there a few traditionally male names that I like (more) on females, like:
    Avery
    Jordan
    Delaney
    Reese (I think this is a unisex name, but it's always leaned more female for me)
    Quinn
    Casey
    Addison
    Favorite girl names of the moment: Cecilia, Eleanor, Amelia, Violet, Charlotte, and Ramona

Favorite boy names of the moment: Henry, Micah, Jack, Elijah, Owen, and Jonah

It's not my thing, but here are some YOU might like:
    Jensyn/Jensen (I know someone with teenage daughters named Spenser and Jensyn)
    Avery seems to be popular for girls
    Luca sounds better for a girl, I think...
    Devon/Devyn and Evan/Evyn are cute for a girl... Tristan/Tristyn too
    Gage (there is an actress with this name)
    Jet - popular Dutch name for girls
    Quincy instead of Quinn?
    Tyler instead of Taylor?
    I do really like Leighton for a girl and not a boy and Rooney, as in Rooney Mara (actress) - super cute for a girl!