Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by samantha-bianca View Post
    A sable is an African animal, kind of like a deer, or maybe a goat?
    It's a Slavic-derived word for a type of marten found in Russia, also used to denote the fur from this animal and the colors black and black-brown. I think of it as belonging to both the animal and color name categories.

Like many of you, I'm not a fan of many "word names" - but I have a soft spot for several color names and a few nature names. Sage is one color name that makes me cringe, though.

Quote Originally Posted by niteowl13 View Post
    Sabella is similar and much prettier.
    I knew someone with a cat named Sable and there was a female wrestler with the name (probably her stage name though).
    It just doesn't appeal to me.
    Interesting. I may have found a -bella name I like! I'm not crazy about Isabella and its many forms, but Sabella reminds me of Sable also.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I didn't know about the wrestler and hadn't made connection to the palm tree or "stable."

As for using it as a nickname for Sarah, I was wondering if anyone thought it seemed plausible because it sounds like Sadie (which is a traditional nickname for Sarah that, like Sable, has the same number of letters and syllables as Sarah).