Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Chelsea, Delaney, any other ideas?

Hello! We are expecting a little girl this time around and are having a hard time with names. I would like to find something out of the top 50, classic but not vintage like Ruby, Scarlett, Lena, etc. I would like it to be spelled "correctly" and not unisex.

My DH and I were in LOVE with Delaney when we were pregnant with our sons, but now I'm having second thoughts about the name. I'm not keen on the nickname Laney and I understand I can control it now but not when she gets to school. I'm okay with nicknames but not into longer names just to turn around and call a child by their nickname as their name, know what I mean?

So my next love is Chelsea. I saw there was a thread from March that basically had positive feedback and I know at the end of the day I have to love the name but I was concerned a few people thought it was dated.

What are you thoughts on these names? Do you have any other suggestions? Oh and I don't mind the Chelsea Clinton association because on the other end of the spectrum is Chelsea Handler!

I like Delaney, but if "Laney" really makes you cringe it might be best to find an alternative.

I get a similar feel from:

Delancey
    Dagny
    Darcy
    Dagmar
    Dacey
    Darya
    Dorinda
    Dabney

I like Delaney, but it's more surname or middle name material to me.

Chelsea gets my vote, I like it and I think meeting a new Chelsea would be so refreshing.
    However, you mentioned that you don't want unisex names, and technically Delaney and Chelsea are both unisex.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I like Chelsey; it's not tied to Chelsea Clinton.

What about Romilly? That reminds me of Delaney a bit. Romy or Milly are sweet nicknames.

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I like Delaney, but it's more surname or middle name material to me.

Chelsea gets my vote, I like it and I think meeting a new Chelsea would be so refreshing.
    However, you mentioned that you don't want unisex names, and technically Delaney and Chelsea are both unisex.
    I know that Delaney is unisex but in Pennsylvania it's mainly used on girls... so I guess I wasn't considering it a boys name. I didn't realize that Chelsea was a unisex name! Anyone have a website I could check out to see how frequently it's used as a guys name? Thanks!