Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I think name meanings are extremely important. It's basically like a blessing or a wish you can bestow on your child. I think it's a great way to encourage them...it's not a deal breaker I know a Melanie who is very upbeat and funny...although I do agree with the above poster in that its a totally 80's name...a tad boring. and the fact that it means dark would be a deal breaker for me...

I don't think meanings are that important because no one except a name nerd would know. The kid might look it up someday like I did for my name, but it didn't phase me really. I was just curious. I think it's fine
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

For me meaning is really important. I always belive that name influence the personality, which is proven to be true to myself.
    But I never thought that Melanie is a bad name just because it means dark.
    If you love Melanie, use it. It's a sweet name.
    My advice is: pair it with a more cheerful middle name or something that reflecting your hope/prayer for her.

I'm confused as to why the meaning of dark/black is deemed negative. I mean, people have dark skin, or dark hair, and that's likely how the name was coined. Not due to things like Dark Magic, or something.

Adriana and Adria also means Dark, same with Darcy and their used just fine. Same with Delaney.

If you like Melanie, use it! The meaning isn't negative, or a big deal in the case of Melanie.
    Laurel - 21 - Aries - Slytherin - University of Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by east93 View Post
    I'm confused as to why the meaning of dark/black is deemed negative. I mean, people have dark skin, or dark hair, and that's likely how the name was coined. Not due to things like Dark Magic, or something.

Adriana and Adria also means Dark, same with Darcy and their used just fine. Same with Delaney.

If you like Melanie, use it! The meaning isn't negative, or a big deal in the case of Melanie.
    It's not a bad meaning to me, either. There's also Keira, Duvessa ("dark beauty"), Sable, and Ebony.

Anyway, I think it's cool that her first and last name would have similar meanings - but Olivia throws it off because it reminds me of olive. I'd pick a middle name that had no associations with color.