Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does the meaning matter?

Dh and I were discussing names and Melanie came up. I think I really like it but then I looked up the meaning and it means dark or black. My husbands last name is also the word black. Is that kind of cool or not? I've never really been swayed by name meanings before.

Also, do you think Olivia and Melanie go together?

I don't think anyone outside of the "name nerd" community would know the meaning of Melanie off hand. So, that shouldn't matter. Olivia and Melanie are cute together.
    My cherished daughter, Rowan Jane. ~b. 10/2011~

Sawyer ~ Aven ~ Elowen ~ Sage ~ Eilonwy ~ Eleanor
    Morgan ~ Asher ~ ___ ~ ___ ~ Currently trying to fill the blanks...

Trying for #2 in January 2014.

I don't think the literal meaning of a name is a deal breaker. Melanie and Olivia "go" together, sure... but I would assume they were mother and daughter if I saw the names together.

I think unless the meaning is very negative, it shouldn't matter, and even then, sometimes it still shouldn't.
    That being said, Melanie and Olivia do go nicely together, but Melanie feels very dated to me, I don't know a single one under 20.

Rough n Tumble
    Lachlan Alexander
    Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Pretty in Pink
    Lavender Irie
    Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye

Funny I never really thought of Melanie as dated. I don't know many Melanie's young or old. I guess I want something less popular but not overly unique this time. It's still on my list for now.