Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Augustine: boy or girl and why you think so.

A friend and I are currently arguing about why Augustine is considered a boys name, I explained to her that here St. Augustin is called by the feminine version Augustine but I have no explanation as to why or when this happened. Edit: My friend thinks calling St. Augustin by Augustine is insulting because it's a girls name, this is what I cannot explain to her but it's a very interesting view on names that we debate here quite a bit.

I feel like there must be a historical or etymological reason since every other culture (that I can think of) still uses a masculine version of the name. The same goes for Constantin. I've googled it but I can't really find anything, can someone help me out??? TIA!

Do you consider these names male, female or unisex and if so why?
    Last edited by thetxbelle; July 9th, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

To me, Augustin (uh-GUS-tin) is male, and Augustine (AW-gus-teen) is female. I don't have any historic proof to back this up, though.

I consider Augustine male and Augustina female. Augustine is pretty solidly male saint name to me.

Truly unisex!

Quote Originally Posted by lineska View Post
    I consider Augustine male and Augustina female. Augustine is pretty solidly male saint name to me.
    Same with me.
    k♥m
    mid-20s. grad student at AU.
    Leona · Vivian · Florence · Beatrix · Zelda
    August · Barnaby · Winston · Atlas · Milo