Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Hmm . . .

Just a few and sort of random:

Cinnamon
    Pepper
    Thyme
    Eustacia (in a different category and it's what you might call flowy, but there it is)
    Quince (maybe unisex-sounding)
    Lemon
    Corisande
    Tulip
    Daffodil
    Forsythia
    Amethyst

The pp beat me to Coriander.

PS Desdemona is a character from Othello--she did indeed meet a tragic end, but she's an interesting character. (I personally wouldn't use the name of character so strongly associated with tragedy--e.g., Ophelia, though I love it--but some people don't care.)

Quote Originally Posted by augusta_lee View Post
    Since you've been pretty blunt in your vetoes, I'm going to say it straight: You're being ridiculous.

Seriously? "An 'a' ending is trendy"? DUDE. Clover is really not rocketing up the charts -- in fact, I'd bet good money it won't ever chart. In trying to find the most impossibly unique name, you're overlooking great AND uncommon names that you love. Just my two cents.
    It's not just "a" ending, it's those flowy light vowely names that usually end in "a." Ursula ends in "a" but it's not a name like the one I just described and it's one of my favorites. Clover I've totally given up, I'm over it (even if I keep mentioning it - it was THE name I thought of for six years whenever I imagined the daughter I was hoping so much to have). It may never chart but it's soooooo close to Chloe. In fact one of the main things that made me give it up was this Facebook friend of mine who posts pics of his daughter Chloe like every stinkin' day and just seeing Chloe this and Chloe made me feel like, wow, that is way too close to Clover. But there were plenty of other things that made me give it up, too. It's just not THE name anymore.

I know I'm being ridiculous! But I want something I LOVE like I love my younger two boys' names. When I decided on their names it made me feel so good, and using them was exhilirating. I still am excited to use them to this day. And this is going to be my only girl. I don't want to have "name regret" like I do with my oldest son Eli, whose name was unusual seven years ago but is now super common, especially where we live. I don't want that to happen again!

That said, this is a fun game so I'll play along. My favorite weirdos:

Florimel
    Solace
    Hero
    Marigold
    Allouette
    Vesper
    Florin
    Mafalda
    Catrinel
    Valkyrie
    Odette
    Tesla
    Ismay
    Jacamine
    Iseult
    Anemone
    Udine
    Sirocco
    Arcadia
    Pomeline
    Alair
    Hyacinth
    Proserpine
    Azure
    Clotilde
    Drusilla
    Severine
    Amoret
    Anisette
    Kessalta
    Seavey
    Kelda
    Sian
    Solstice
    Calliope
    Tansy
    Celandine
    Loxley
    Thalassa
    Cindal
    Maarit
    Chrysanta
    Torquil
    Dilys
    Ursula
    Tamarind
    Coriander
    Vigdis
    Mirth
    Yarrow
    Moxie
    Nephele
    Eluned
    Zelie
    Idris
    Parthenope
    Fritha
    Perenelle

I totally get your aversion to popular -- or worse, trendy -- names. But seriously, who would have guessed ten years ago that fracking HARPER would be rocketing up the charts? I'd never even heard of it a year ago. Fact is, you have to be clairvoyant to discern exactly what is going to catch the popular naming imagination. Might as well just go with what you love.

That said, I avoid anything rising too fast (more than 50 places a year) and prefer to stay out of the top 1000 myself. Though I have also loosened up and allowed myself to love fast-risers in the top 300 (Eloise!), so...

Honeysuckle - Love, one of my favorite flowers, but don't know if I can get past the "suckle" part, and Honey has never been one of my favorite pet names
    Paprika and Pepper - Like spice names, would like to meet little girls with these names, maybe not for me
    Coriander - DH actually has a cousin with a daughter named this
    Cinnamon - It's on my list but is it too strippery?
    Plum - cute, but I don't think it's big enough
    Wintergreen - like Winter, like green, like it together but it's a gum flavor not a person
    Emerald/Esmerelda - Like a lot, but the more common nn Emma/Esme or even just Em are inevitable
    Cosette - like it, like the -ette ending, but nms
    Apollonia - like it for the Prince connection and mythology, dislike it for sounding like Apple, which sounds really not good to me
    Echo - like but not enough
    Isis - cool but knew someone "interesting" with this name once and it will forever be connected to her
    Evening - like but Eve for short is too Eve/Ava/Eva trendy
    Daffodil - like in theory, nn Daffy or Dill not so great
    Juniper - like a lot but trendy among name nerds
    Moonbeam - like, maybe for a middle name
    Prarie - like a lot, on my list
    Plumeria - on my list but I think it's too vowel flowy
    Petunia and Tulip - like a lot in theory and would love to meet a girl named either name, but Petunia is not enough of a people name, and Tulip makes me think of genitalia
    Iris - like a lot but trendy and rising
    Freesia - like but too vowel flowy
    Lemon - like but was the name of a hooker in a Jackie Collins novel
    Amethyst - like but no good nn