Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Honouring My Grandmother Peristera

My grandmothers name is Peristera. It's the Greek word for dove and lately I've been trying to find a name that honours her without using the name exactly. She doesn't like her name at all but she used to go by Stella which happens to be by only my middle name but my mums name and my great grandmothers name. If anybody has any ideas tht arent Stella on how to honour my beautiful Yiayia (grandma) it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks berries
    Last edited by alexalou11; June 16th, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
    Teenager from Australia
    GIRLS: Beatrix Ariane Clio Alba Florence Stella Artemis Zelda Reverie Juniper

BOYS: Archer Sebastian Leo Cassius Roman Rafael Theo Jasper August Emile

maybe another bird name? or giving the nickname Birdie could be sweet

Alouette (French for Lark)
    Lark itself could be another option
    Wren
    Robin
    Dove could even be an option (though I'd only use it in the middle spot but that's more of a personal preference)

here is a list of bird names from Nameberry http://nameberry.com/list/76/Bird-Names
    also the dove is sometimes thought of as a symbol for peace so a virtue name could be another way to go

that's all I can think of off the top of my head for now, hope they help or are at least a starting point

I agree with lizalee that another bird name could honor your yiayia.
    My first thought was Paloma, which is Spanish for dove. It's similar to your yiayia's name, but has a more modern feel. Stella could be a middle name, to honor the name she chose to go by, and your mother.
    Hope that helps!
    -Athena
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

Paloma and Dove would work well. Columba also means dove, and I love that name.

There's also Peri, which is used in Greek as well as Hebrew and other cultures. It rhymes with Carrie and Mary, so I don't see why it couldn't work.

Thanks guys! I really like Paloma and Alouette. Do you think Mavis -meaning songbird- could work as well? I just adore the name.
    Teenager from Australia
    GIRLS: Beatrix Ariane Clio Alba Florence Stella Artemis Zelda Reverie Juniper

BOYS: Archer Sebastian Leo Cassius Roman Rafael Theo Jasper August Emile