Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    If you love the names Anniston and Addison so much then by all means use them. I would much rather know that my parents loved my name so much that they could not picture any other name for me than to think that they compromised because of other people's perceptions. That said, as you can probably gauge from the reaction here, you and more importantly they will have to deal with people's perceptions their whole life. Obviously there is some feeling that these names are very very close in sound and spelling. Whether you like it or even care, people will raise their eyebrows when they hear these names together. I don't think you would have asked if you were not worried about it yourself. Only you can decide if it matters enough to change them. Also, I don't think that alternating the spellings will making any difference in how people perceive these names. If I saw two twins named Adacyn and Annistyn I would automatically think that their parents were trying really hard to differentiate two names that are very very similar. I don't fancy myself smarter than the average bear, so I must assume that a lot of other people would think the same thing. As an aside, you had to have known what the nameberry reaction was going to be, especially to alternative spellings. It looks like you have been around for a while and I knew after about ten seconds on this site that most nameberries hate unique spellings. If you want more balanced feedback, I urge you to try a different name site.
    Marietta, Aurelia, Isadora, June, Cressida, Meredith, Georgiana, Estella, Sibella, Audra
    Callum, Graham, George, Boyd, Harrison, Truman, Henry

I havent read the whole thread, so sorry if there is some repeats. At the end of the day, go with your gut instinct. But I definitely think changing the spellings will make their names look much, much matchier and much worse. Having to defend matchy names will be enough without having to defend any over-trendy spellings as well. Personally, I think they're too alike. But they're not my children. Just go with what suits and fits your family, and you and your husband are happy with. Worry about other people's opinions later

But here is my two cents. Names do not generally start to sound matchy until you're speaking them often. On paper, they don't look matchy (different double letters, one 'ston' ending and one 'son' ending) but try and think of it this way. At the moment, you're speaking about them, not to them. And it may be easy when they're babies. But as soon as they're running around, or at school age, and you're calling their names, and life is more frantic, it could get difficult. They have the same amount of syllables and end in the same sound. The middle of names tends to get lost when spoken from afar. When calling one of your daughters downstairs, you are more than definitely going to have them both answer. That sounds so minor, but its just one example of how it can become irritating quickly. My brother and my dad are called Luke and Bruce and they're not TOO matchy, but even that was a nightmare when their names were called from a distance or mentioned in conversation. Because people just hear the one-syllable "uu" sound.

Secondly, there is nothing more frustrating and embarrassing than not being able to tell twins apart. I went to school with three sets of girl/girl twins, two of which were identical. The non-identical twins were called Ella and Emma. The other two were called Sophie and Chloe and Stephanie and Nicola. Guess which ones people could tell apart the quickest? Yes, Stephanie and Nicola. Despite Emma and Ella not being identical, they were still siblings and looked alike, and we couldn't tell them apart. Sophie and Chloe arent too matchy but the ending sound is the same and that hinders it. For your children, at school, this will be frustrating (i am good friends now with Emma and she confirms this) and makes them feel like they are not individual. It also makes classmates and teachers frustrated because you cant differentiate as easily. Names really do play a big part in this. Maybe it didn't affect you and your sister, which is great, but you cant be sure it wont for your daughters. Do you want Addison to constantly be saying "It's Addison, not Anniston"?

Thirdly. When I say Parker and Piper over and over I have no issue. Addison and Anniston twists my tongue and I end up pronouncing Anniston without the T so its Annison. Anybody hard of hearing or mishearing their names will almost surely muddle them up. Considering other names could be a great idea. But at the end of the day, its up to you. These are just my opinions, you obviously don't have to take them on board

What about the name Adeline or Adelaide?