Names Searched Right Now:
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    I don't mind twin names that are a bit match-y, but I agree with what others have posted- Addison and Anniston are very similar, similar enough to where there might be confusion. I really like the name Addison and think Addie/Addy is a really cute nn. Anniston has never been my style, mostly because of the celebrity connection. This is just my opinion, though. In all honesty, there are several names on my "favorites list" that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be popular with the nameberry community. I really believe that if you truly love a name and can sincerely envision your child having that name as a baby, child, teenager, and adult, you should use it.

In the event that you want to reconsider Anniston, here are some names that I think go well with Addison (no reason why...they just seem to match):
    Ashley
    Amber
    Avery
    Adrienne/Adrian
    Alexis
    Ashlyn
    Aubrey

ETA: I forgot to say- If you do decide to use Addison and Anniston, IMO you should stick with the typical spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    That's a good question.

But no, I can't be certain of that. I remember the first and only time I ate at their restaurant, I had read a shared mini-bio and history of their business on the back of a menu. Haha, the two were the head chefs of the restaurant. They were from Spain and all it said was that their mother named them. I thought it was sweet.

And hmm, I'm not familiar with that kind of tradition in the Spanish culture. Some of my descendants were Spanish. That experience made me curious about whether that was an old tradition within my family (like far into my family's history).

And that's interesting that it's a tradition in Haiti. I'll have to ask my Haitian friend if that's common
    I'm not positive she was from Haiti specifically, but it was somewhere down south.

I couldn't imagine not choosing individual names for my children, I don't think that would be a tradition I could justify following.

I'm here to offer constructive criticism that I hope will be helpful to you.

I'm a college professor and recently had identical twins in one of my classes named Emily and Amelia. They always sat together and often wore very similar outfits. I could never tell the apart except on paper (their writing styles were quite different). To be honest, it absolutely drove me crazy, and I would constantly wonder to myself what kinds of parents would give identical twins matching names like that. I mentioned them to a colleague once, and it turned out she also had them in class and thought the same thing.

So the point is that while you may be a fan of similar names for twins, many people will not be, and it may in fact cause them problems later in life. Consider how their names will affect their experiences as they grow up. Clearly, you have some reservations about using these names, as you have asked about alternative spellings to differentiate them.

Finally, if you are intent on using the names you've chosen, I would absolutely use the conventional spellings for all the reasons people have already stated.

Thanks (:

Aurora, Amaya and Alana are all lovely names, and I could see any combination of them being twins with no issues. If you're looking for suggestions, what about these (lots are similar, I've included variations etc. The ones in bold are the ones I think you'll like best)-

Amelie
    Amelia/Emelia
    Adele/Adela
    Adelyn/Adeline
    Auden/Arwen

Athena
    Althea
    Aria
    Avia (ay-VEE-uh)

Anais
    Anouk
    Annelies
    Anya
    Amory
    Acacia (uh-KAY-see-ah)

Arabella
    Arabelle
    Aurelia
    Autumn
    Ainsley
    ✿ Jemima Rosemary - Fenella Beatrix Margaret - Eilidh Briar Lettice - Sibylla Agnes ''Billie''✿
    ✿ Alec Tadhg - Emmett Huw - Rufus Caspian - Harrison Rhett ✿

Susie, Magdalena, Viola, Imogen, Octavia, Ailbhe, Jessa, Raphaela, Medora, Amelia, Annabella, Ophelia, Lana.
    Oscar, Dylan, Breccan, Ingram, Wilbur, Vincent, Wolfie, Keaton, Wilfred

Traveller at heart and dreaming of future babes, but mostly I'm just an expat teenage girl from England...http://bigsistercomplex.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    Well I;m sorry you feel that way - I didn't say it to insult you, I was trying to tell you how alternative spellings are perceived by other people. And just because I am not a twin doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what it might feel like to have a very similar name to a sibling.
    I know several children with alternative spellings and if you look at the SSA list there are tons of them! So I actually think it is just the opposite. Many people outside of Nameberry love alternative spellings, some to the point that it is hard to see what the original name even was. As I said in several of my posts, I am not normally a fan of alternative spellings, it is just that we love these names so much that we were willing to branch out and try a different spelling in order to keep both names. I have seen Addison spelled much worse than Adycen and Annistyn was just a one letter substitution. The fact is that you are not a twin and yes you can imagine what it is like to have a similar name to a sibling, but I am a twin with a similar name so I have a much better view of what is really like.
    ~Parker ~
    ~Mommy to Aurora Mary and Sofia Noelle~

Future Daughterss ~ Willow Amaya ~ Ava Rhiannon ~ Eliana Kate ~ Anya Elizabeth ~ Gianna Emily ~

Future Sons ~ Luca Rafael ~ Dominic Mario ~ Lorenzo Carmine ~ Enrique Jaxon ~ Roman Anthony