Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rollo View Post
    I tried to research it at the time and couldn't find much except that it was a type of blue and connected to a cardinal (I think).
    Really? I'm surprised because François Mitterrand, former President of France had a love child Mazarine Marie Pingeot( Mitterrand) who is said to be named after the Bibliothèque Mazarine. She was kept a secret for a really long time, it was a big deal and covered internationally when it all came out 20 years after she was born.

Mazarine is indeed also a Cardinal, the oldest public library in France, a color and a beautiful butterfly
    Last edited by thetxbelle; June 1st, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

It has grown on me from the first time I saw it on here and now I think i really like it! Love all the nn possibilities! I hadn't thought of either Zara or Maisie-- I think those 2 are my favs!
    Mom to Seth Andrew and Madeline Frances

Other current favorites (girls): Rosemary, Elizabeth, Tessa, Susanna, Katherine; (boys): Noel, Spencer, Patrick, Rory, Alexander

scribe and alzora- My reaction was quite similar...Mazarine the girl, I love the way you put that alzora! You are so right scribe, Mazzy as a nn is amazing. !

thtxbelle- I think you are right, the positive association outweighs the indiscretion. Thanks for info, like rollo, I didn't come across it when I searched it online today (and I looked pretty hard, I even ordered an book on Amazon on Richelieu and Mazarin). Are there any nns for Mazarine in France?

Rollo- As always, your voice is good guidance when sifting through names. I agree, Mazarine's uniqueness and loveliness have certainly put it on the top of my list.

vivtaliesin- Sticking with Mazarine is the better option, I agree. Mazarina can always be used as a nn variation, for the frilly moments. I love all the sister names, especially Valentina!

Amberdaydream- Well, I love Top Gear so, car associations are not the worst.

Maybe, we could garner some support for Mazarine to be put in the nameberry database?? Wdyt?

@Lolly1019 It's not a very common name, I looked it up and there are less than 400 Mazarines born in France since 1900, in fact there is no INSEE data showing before 1995 so numbers before then would be very small. French tend to use "ou" nicknames so my guess is Mazou, Zouzou, Mazie. I will look it up on some French msg boards and let you know.

Also - maybe I can help you with the information you are looking for? From what I know off the top of my head Mazarin was an Italian Cardinal and diplomat to French monarchs. Later he was Prime Minister and founded one of the largest libraries (I dont remember what it was originally called) but now it's the Bibliothèque Mazarine. I left out political information because I don't know enough to say and I hate to say something stupid or wrong. Im sure he has a wikipedia and other websites though.

Have you googled the Mazarine butterfly? It's gorgeous!
    Last edited by thetxbelle; June 1st, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

I am loving Mazarine!!! I would love to see someone use it, and I think it's made it on to my list too!

Lachlan Alexander - Evander 'Anders' Alcott - Cadmus Walter - Theron Xavier - Thatcher William - Peregrine North - Dresden Alasdair

Natalie Winter - Adelaide Pearl - Hermione Jane - Corisande Fable - Lavender Alina/Irie - Cordelia Autumn - Virginia Joy- Odessa Faye