Names Searched Right Now:
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by catloverd View Post
    Those poor kids! Just curious, but what country allows the - symbol for names?
    You can legally have punctuation in a name in the US. The only restrictions on naming are
    1) the name can't be a racial slur or other profanity
    2) it can't be "fightin' words" or deliberately provocative for violence
    3) it cannot be used to intentionally cause confusion or misrepresentation (ie, naming your child Barack Hussein Obama may get you in front of a judge to justify your reason for the name - and possibly a visit from the Secret Service) unless you have a legitimate reason why you need that name that's unrelated to the famous person in question
    4) cannot be only a punctuation symbol or number. (So, you can't name your child "." or "43".)

Beyond that, there are no rules. Punctuation, as long as it's used within the context of other letters, is allowed. Think Mary-Kate Olsen, etc. I knew a guy in college who's name was Avi'el (Hebrew for "God is my father"). I suppose if you wanted to name your kid Doorknob.Snickerdoodle-Cranberry, it would be allowed, although your child would most certainly grow up to hate you at a very early age.
    Last edited by lucystone; May 24th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
    Girls - Abigail, Georgianna, Anne, Charlotte, Claire, Genevieve, Annette, Eliza, Felicity, Hannah, Noelle, Eugenie, Grace, Phoebe, Philippa, Cecilia, Cecily, Elizabeth, Hollis, Piper, Lorelei, Vivienne, Paige, Carolina, Isobel, Lucy, Molly, Georgia, Victoria, Naomi

Boys - Bobby Sparklefritz until H can offer suggestions. Ones I like: Rory, Owen, Tyler, Ian, Elliot, Alexander, Ephraim, Levi, Jacob, Reid, Avery, Nathan, Miles, Jasper, Spencer, Toby, Dean, Philip

Quote Originally Posted by lucystone View Post
    You can legally have punctuation in a name in the US. The only restrictions on naming are
    1) the name can't be a racial slur or other profanity
    2) it can't be "fightin' words" or deliberately provocative for violence
    3) it cannot be used to intentionally cause confusion or misrepresentation (ie, naming your child Barack Hussein Obama Obama may get you in front of a judge to justify your reason for the name - and possibly a visit from the Secret Service) unless you have a legitimate reason why you need that name that's unrelated to the famous person in question
    4) cannot be only a punctuation symbol or number. (So, you can't name your child "." or "43".

Beyond that, there are no rules. Punctuation, as long as it's used within the context of other letters, is allowed. Think Mary-Kate Olsen, etc. I knew a guy in college who's name was Avi'el (Hebrew for "God is my father"). I suppose if you wanted to name your kid Doorknob.Snickerdoodle-Cranberry, it would be allowed, although your child would most certainly grow up to hate you at a very early age.
    So does that mean people could name their kids S@m if they wanted to? That just seems cruel....

I know some countries are more strict and actually forbid names if they think it will harm the child.... I found this for those interested:
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/07/03...aws/index.html

All the names are horrible!
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Angelique, Victoria, Elena, Alana, Lana...all bad associations based on the accent people used when saying their own name! I hate any name that makes you feel you need to put on an aristocratic accent to be correct.

People have hit on a lot of my rage-blackout-inducing name hangups, but I just realized something that annoys me even more about La-a. The overwhelming majority of the time when people are typing it, they're going to be using a hyphen and not a dash. A dash isn't on standard keyboards in the US, and you have to type it as a special character. And are we talking an em-dash or an en-dash? What you're really naming your child (if this name actully exists) is "Lahyphena."

End of grammar rant.
    Mom to the delightful Be@trix He1en Luci11e (2011)

Loving Margaret (nn Maisie), Louisa (nn Lulu), and Frederick (nn Fritz) for future children.

People have hit on a lot of my rage-blackout-inducing name hangups, but I just realized something that annoys me even more about La-a. The overwhelming majority of the time when people are typing it, they're going to be using a hyphen and not a dash. A dash isn't on standard keyboards in the US, and you have to type it as a special character. And are we talking an em-dash or an en-dash? What you're really naming your child (if this name actully exists) is "Lahyphena."

End of grammar rant.
    Mom to the delightful Be@trix He1en Luci11e (2011)

Loving Margaret (nn Maisie), Louisa (nn Lulu), and Frederick (nn Fritz) for future children.