Elea Berry Juice profile image

Vintage Nicknames: Zippy and Preppy Diminutives

posted by: Elea View all posts by this author

comments

11 Responses to “Vintage Nicknames: Zippy and Preppy Diminutives”

Kateri Says:

May 1st, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Really love Ned and Nan!

alzora Says:

May 1st, 2013 at 11:33 pm

LOVE nicknames as given names! I had a dream about a baby Jeb once, and now it’s one of my top favorite names for a boy. My favorites listed above would of course be Jep and Jem. As an aside, there was a character on Little House on the Prairie named Cass, a name that also falls into this awesome category.

shellezbellez Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 12:54 am

I think Jep might get some love soon, considering one of the brothers on [i]Duck Dynasty[/i] is named Jep (short for Jules Jeptha).

I love Ned–I named my cat Ned, and it’s so much fun to say. If I had realized how much I loved it before, I might have saved it for a son!

dindlee Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 6:17 am

Jem and Kit are my favorite. I think they are darling and not too cutesy… you can use them into adulthood.

baby namesBaby Name Blog – Nameberry Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 6:41 am

[...] we’ll host wonderful guest baby name bloggers (like Eleanor Nickerson of British Baby Names, featured today) along with pregnancy and baby [...]

DayKen95 Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 10:46 am

I love Bess(ie), Jem, and Kit! I actually love all them way more then the full names which they come from Sad that whenever I ask about beautiful Bessie everyone thinks cow. :(

LadyCap Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 11:46 am

This post has inspired me to just start calling my husband Kit and see what he does….

UselessKitty Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Ned and Nan! My grandfather’s and grandmother’s nicknames. :)

I like Bessie. I had a co-worker named Bessie, and she hated her name, but I always liked it.

KickinKay Says:

May 2nd, 2013 at 8:30 pm

How about Jem as a nickname for Jeremy? I’m still in love with it after reading To Kill A Mockingbird and I’m sure many other people are .

sarahmezz Says:

May 3rd, 2013 at 2:10 am

Cute nicknames! I especially love Kit for Christopher as I love the name Christopher, but don’t really like Chris. Ned is also super cute, but I really love Ted/Teddy as a nickname for Edward. Jem is sweet, especially as we’re considering James for our first son’s name.

WaltzingMoreThanMatilda Says:

May 6th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Love these old nicknames! Ned, Kit, Jem and Pip are adorable, and there is something very spunky about Bess.