Winter Baby Names: Coolest cold-weather choices

comments

22 Responses to “Winter Baby Names: Coolest cold-weather choices”

lexikj Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 1:31 am

Neve and Neva are so gorgeous.

senoritashan Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 3:00 am

January in Spanish is “enero” not Jenara…

linda Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 3:15 am

True, but several reference book give january as the meaning of Genera.

Elina Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 4:39 am

What a lovely selection of names. Also, I love the picture for North.

rachel27 Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 5:35 am

What about Lumi, the Finnish word for snow? I think it’s the perfect winter name.

My favorite on this list is March.

M2Mom Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 7:41 am

I love Winter and Snow!

Mego0801 Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 8:06 am

Eirwen is absolutely gorgeous! I’ve never heard of it before, thanks for including it.

LexieM Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 11:11 am

This post came appropriate for the first snow of the year for me. Though I’m not sure I’d ever use a wintery name. Though I do like January and Neve. (PS: The picture for Snow is so adorable.)

UniqueNameLover Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Eira / Eirwen is very interesting. I like it! I also like Neve as a nickname and Winter.

Pansy Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I’ve recently fallen in love with March and North for boys, though my husband would never agree to either. We’ve had Winter on our girls list forever but have never been able to find a middle name that paired well with it (everything sounds either way too whimsical or really mismatched).

WhiteRoseWarrior Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love the month names, and January is special because it is the birth month of both my mom and sister, march is a cute lively choice but i’m not sure i’d use it in real life, there was a girl in my school name Snowelle, I thought it was a unique and cute spin.

StrixOniro Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Eira, Snow, Winter, and North have all been on my list for a long time, some other ideas are winter zodiac signs. I’m not big on Capricorn (if you’ve read Inkheart, you’ll understand why) as a name, nor Pisces, but I would use Sagittaria in a heartbeat and maybe Aquarius or Aquaria. (My zodiac sign, so maybe im biased there)

DiannaElaine Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Actually, Demi Moore confirmed on twitter that her birth name is just Demi…and nothing else.

sarahmezz Says:

January 25th, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I’ve heard Demi Moore’s first name is Demetria, too. My favourite usable winter names would be Rita and Snow (as a middle name – not together, though!).

Isolde Says:

January 26th, 2013 at 10:13 am

I chose North as my sons mn, William North. His father and I adore the imagery and symbolism of North and think it pairs well with, the more conservative, William. I like Winter, Neve and March as well.

MeleriHaf Says:

January 26th, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I read in a very old baby name book (published in the 1920s, I think) that Demeter was called Melanie in the winter. Don’t know how true that is, but that could also be a fun winter name.

maeve30 Says:

January 26th, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Am I the only one who noticed that evil “Jack Frost” pic?

auroradawn Says:

January 27th, 2013 at 1:42 am

Eirwen is lovely, lovely. I hadn’t heard it before, but now I think it’s going on my long list. Eira is pretty, too, and I like Winter, Frost, March, North and Snow as middle name ideas.

I have a sister named Aspen, but for the tree, not the place.

That snowman IS a little creepy…

Annie85 Says:

January 27th, 2013 at 10:34 pm

March is my favorite from the list, followed by North. Winter, Snow, Cortina and January are also appealing, but I probably wouldn’t use them on an actual child…except maybe Snow as a quirky middle name.

Taz Says:

January 28th, 2013 at 11:27 am

I’m born in January & my mom was too…so when I found out my daughter was due in January I thought it might be a potential name choice. I loved campy Valley of the Dolls & the story of Jacquelyn Suzanne’s life in the Bette Midler movie Isn’t She Great…so I got Once Is Never Enough. And my mom told me it was made into a movie she & my dad saw on their FIRST DATE! It seemed like fate! But I read the book & January Wayne was such a tragic character I didn’t want to use the name! Plus I’m a nicknamer & nothing felt right! In the end we went with Leonie. And later found out she shares January Jones’ bday!

frustratedauthor Says:

December 7th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

So many here I love:

Winter
Frost
Eira
North
Snow

Sig Says:

February 14th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I know a woman whose grandson’s middle name is Ice. I’ve always found it completely ridiculous actually. I love Eira, Aspen and Cortina though, and, as much as I hate to admit it, Winter is growing on me.