What’s Your Favorite Place Name?

comments

98 Responses to “What’s Your Favorite Place Name?”

rosierose Says:

June 11th, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Hmm…I only really like incidental place names, or ones that can also be names, like Paris for example. Paris for a girl is a little over the top now but I think it is still elegant in its own way and I even like it for males. (I know two male Parises who totally pull it off). Memphis is fine too…I think of Ancient Egypt.

I don’t like it when place names seem really casually given as first names. For example, I don’t really understand why someone would name their daughter London or Brooklyn if they didn’t have a connection to those places. But each to their own.

ScarlettSensibility Says:

June 11th, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Geneva, Siena, and Catalina are the ones that immediately come to mind. I adore some of the Middle Eastern-origin ones as well – Petra, Kinneret, Magdalene, especially. Providence, Acadia, and Almeida have very personal meaning for me, and I would love to use them as middle names. Lately I’ve also been liking Janeiro (as in Rio) on a boy.

One of my GP place names is Elsinore (I’m
a bit of a Shakespeare nerd). Similar to that is Élysée, as in the Champs, but since I’ve never been to Paris I’m going to reserve judgement until I’ve actually seen it.

Camden, NJ may be less than pleasant, but Camden, Maine is one of the most picturesque, stately fishing ports on the East Coast. Old Victorians, colorful lobster pots, sheltered harbor, hilly forested landscape. Definitely a namesake worthy place.

rosierose Says:

June 11th, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Also, side note, but being from the Mid-Atlantic I find Camden and Trenton sort of horrifying as boys’ names! They are not exactly pleasant cities.

rosierose Says:

June 11th, 2013 at 11:33 pm

@ScarlettSensibility I know a 20-something Elsinore who totally pulls it off. She has a medieval air about her and is very beautiful/blonde. I’m sure that helps.

amyhope Says:

June 11th, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I’m not a big fan of place names in general, but I can definitely see the appeal of using one that holds speacial meaning for the parents. My grandmother and I read Anne of Green Gables together when I was little and visited the author’s birthplace on Prince Edward Island when I was in high school. The stories were set in the fictional town of Avonlea, and I think using Avonlea as a middle name would be a special way to honor my grandmother.

clairels Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:01 am

There’s Marigny, a New Orleans neighborhood that I’ve never been to, but I am absolutely itching to use this beautiful, unique name after hearing it on a message board a while back.

I knew a girl named Afton growing up in Minnesota; it was weird how it sounded exotic even though it was the next town over. Later, I used it for a character I was writing about. I discovered Bricelyn looking randomly at a map of Minnesota, and a few years ago someone here finally used it for a baby girl.

Lately, there’s a trend to use names that end in “land” for girls. I’m probably alone in this, but I really like Portland, Graceland, Ireland, and even England (way better than London, IMHO).

Bayles Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:45 am

Actually my favorite name for a girl is Ireland. I also like Burkeley, Harlem, Salem, Holland, Hudson, and Kingston.

ebenezer.scrouge Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 1:41 am

London or Sofia

maddiejadore Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 1:41 am

My favorites for girls are Vienna, Aspen, and Ireland. For boys I like Hudson, Cayman and Trenton.

sweets12 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:39 am

My favorites are Canaan, Nazareth (soooo underused!), Bolivia, India, Havana, Carolina, Eden, Milan, Sicily, and Ravenna. Ireland grew on me too. For boys I love Kingston and Flynn (small city in Australia). I have a cousin named Brooklyn but she was named about 20 years ago so before it became so popular.

sweets12 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:40 am

Oh and Vienna!

rollo Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:45 am

I love Airlie after Airlie Beach in Queensland – Australia.

I think it is such a beautiful name for a little girl

Mclevine Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:50 am

Shame on me, I like a lot of place names but will likely never use. For a girl I like Arizona, Odessa, Catalina, Carmel and Bethany. Elsinore and Olympia are lovely as well. I think Kingston, Nazareth, Devon and Jordan are great for a boy.

MFBerry Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:03 am

I love Memphis, Camden, and Jericho for boys and India, Havana, and Asia for girls but I wouldn’t use them. Well, I might use Camden.

Going_Merry Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:10 am

I love Dresden…It is a place in Germany according to the data on it when you look it up.

beeba Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:13 am

India has to be my favorite.

4815162342 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:20 am

My daughters name is Indiana and I love it. We call her Indie most of the time but I think indiana is a lovely classic name.

Khaatje Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:50 am

India and Indie are lovely indeed. If I ever have twin girls I would name them Safae and Marwa, after the hills where Hagar found water for her son and herself. Feminine place names which form a pair without being to matchy/matchy. But then again, what are the odds of having twin girls…

calypsotheoneandonly Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:55 am

I’m only 14 so the first two questions are out for me, but my favorite place name is beyond all doubt Arizona. Possibly with the nn Aro (Arrow?)

norbury Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:56 am

Philadelphia. It’s the name of a girl in an Evelyn Waugh novel and I love the sound of it. I wouldn’t dream of using it though.

Vanessaelless Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 6:23 am

I’m not a fan of place names with a single exception: Darwin. Such a totally awesome name that I love for a boys middle – Patrick Darwin….sigh! I tend to associate it more strongly with Charles Darwin, but we are Aussie and Darwin is a state capital here. Hubby can’t get past it.

augusta_lee Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 6:28 am

Holland and Odessa. I also love Paris for a boy, but for its mythological connotations, not the city.

jem Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 6:56 am

My favourites are Geneva, Vienna and Florence – stunning!

LuMary Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:16 am

I love Boston after my favorite city. I recently visited the Lincoln Museum in Springfield, IL, and learned of a drummer boy for the Union, I believe, named Orion. It was nice to be reminded that our ancestors also were creative namers.

frustratedauthor Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:34 am

I love a lot of place names., and i have no clue why people fuss about them. My favorites are:

Boys: Dallas, Denver (both are family names)

Girls: Arizona, Georgia, Sofia,

There are several others I like, but the above are my favorites.

R_J Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:37 am

Genoa, Odessa, Vienna, Geneva, Valencia are ones I like, but would probably never use. Too many “normal” names I like more!

danielle Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:37 am

It’s not exactly a place, but its the street I grew up on and I have always wanted to use the name Ashbridge, nn Ashby for a baby girl. Alas, my husband doesn’t think out of the box for baby names and he said no :(

benjamelissa Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:47 am

I love place names. I have a son named Austin. Another son named Taylor. My name is Melissa, and just recently discovered Melissa, TX. My husband is from Maine so I would possibly use Camden in the future. I actually went to school with a Camden and he was a great guy. Other names I’d use for boys include Salem and Sevan, well this one is actually a river, I think. My girl faves are Bethany, Dannah, Jordan, Avonlea, Devon, and Aspen. I went to school with a Deven and she was way cool, popular, very nice, and cheerleader, so this has always been a girls name to me. and I know an Aspen, darling little girl!

Erinm Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 7:51 am

Vienna. Hope it doesn’t become popular!

Aurra Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 8:29 am

Avalon (girl) and Cairo (boy) are the two place names I’m most likely to use. I’ve used a lot of King Arthur-esque mythology in some of my stories, and I used to be obsessed with Egyptian myth. Both have cool, on trend nicknames (Ava/Avie and Cai).

Paris on a boy is a guilty pleasure for me. I think of the mythological figure and Tom Paris from Star Trek: Voyager, so the name seems odd on a girl to me. I also saw a woman on a message board with a son named Arizona nn Ari, and I think it makes a great male name.

wgcathyhillary Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 8:51 am

I wouldn’t actually use a place name but it’s not because I have a problem with them, I just don’t love any enough to actually use. Some of my favorites (all for girls);

Dakota – didn’t like it until I saw it on “The Office”
Georgia
Virginia
Charlotte
Vienna
Sienna
India

shieldsc Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Florence, Aurora, Avalon, Savannah, Georgia, Olympia are all names I would definitely use on a child. Also love Aurra’s suggestion of Cairo, nn Cai.

hldevine Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:11 am

Lydia (an ancient place name) is my daughter’s name and is my favorite! Another place name that I like but wouldn’t use because I like more traditional sounding names is Geneva. I think it has a very pretty sound.

Danni Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:13 am

If I were to use a place name, it would have to have some personal significance to me. I want to share lovely name stories with my future children that are far more exciting than “I just liked the name Danielle and your grandmother wouldn’t let me name you Harley.” Oh, Mom.

Denver
Brighton
Florence
Venice
Augusta
Minerva
Astoria
Milan
Phoenix

maggiemary Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:50 am

I don’t think of Camden NJ when I see the name Camden, I think of Camden, London. It’s a very “hip and trendy” London borough, and therefore, it’s quite fitting that Camden is “hip and trendy” as a name right now.

chelsi_robin Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 10:33 am

I’ve always loved Salem, and if it wasn’t for the witch trials I would definitely use it! My son’s middle name, Greys, is a place name, after the river near our family cabin.=)

PinkPenguin87 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 10:44 am

I love India, but I also really like Ireland, Sierra, California, and Arizona

maggiefromcanada Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 10:46 am

I don’t know if I’d ever use a place name unless it had real significance to me and my husband. Most of the places that are significant to me aren’t really appropriate as names (Heidelberg – well you could use Heidi; St Petersburg – just use Peter; Ottawa – nope).

Some names I love that are also place names:
Argentia (a small community in Newfoundland), Acadia, Georgia, Milan (for a boy), and I love a previous poster’s suggestion of Avonlea.

MillieMM Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:05 am

My favourites – and the ones on my list are – Phoenix, Devon and Sydney. All boys! Others that I enjoy include: Hudson, Tennessee, Camden, and Dakota. Again all for boys.

VegasCountryQueen Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:11 am

I love the name Vegas for a girl. JUST KIDDING! I like Cairo, but I don’t think I’d ever use it…

shelbea_cobra38 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’m from the South (Arkansas) and am an avid map-lover. I’m also getting my bachelors in history, so maps and historical places/people appeal to me. Also literary names appeal since I adore books, and I will get my masters in library and information science to be a librarian. These names are some of my favorites and leave a smile on my face.

Girls: Georgia, Maine, Savannah, Macon (Georgia), Charlotte, Raleigh, Nola (New Orleans, LouisianA), Delta, Dixie, Logan (county Arkansas), Hope (Arkansas), Marietta (Georgia), Neva (Russian river), Florence (Italy & Georgia), Madeleine (mountains France), Dublin (Ireland & Georgia), Clare (county Ireland), Hollande (Holland with an e), Mena (Arkansas), Genevieve (Ste. Genevieve, Missouri), Glendalough (Ireland), Dunluce (Ireland or N. Ireland can’t remember), Arlington (nm Arlie), Lexington, Kensington (Great Britain, nm Kensie), Adare (Ireland), Blythe (Blytheville, Arkansas), Marianna (Arkansas)

Boys: Hudson, Stratford (upon Avon), Jackson (Mississippi), Dixon (Street Fayetteville, Arkansas), Franklin (county Arkansas), Richmond (Virginia), Lincoln (Nebraska), Grant (county Arkansas), Marshall (Arkansas), Camden (Arkansas), Faulkner (county Arkansas), Drew (county Arkansas), Harrison (Arkansas), Cabot (Arkansas), Benton (Arkansas), Bryant (Arkansas), Clinton (Arkansas)

I like, but can’t decide if I LIKE them: Charleston (capital of W. Virginia and popular South Carolina city), Jasper (Arkansas), Memphis, Austin, Knox (Knoxville, Tennessee)

Wow. Posted way more than I intended! Just some ideas since I’m never gonna use all of these. Enjoy.

ssterikoff Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:32 am

In theory I like place names, but would not use them. My DD, then 6, suggested Jamaica for her baby sister. I suggested she hold that for one of her babies. I love Cambria, Jurien, Geneva, Sofia, Kiev, and Odessa are the ones the come to mind for me.

Odessa and Kiev are ones that have ties to my family, as my great-grandparents left there in 1908 to come to the US. My grandmother was born on the way. Jurien is a bay in Australia that always sounded pretty, although I never got to visit it when we were living in Australia.

Maybe I’ll give these names to cats… or characters :)

lindsW Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:34 am

@clairels – A friend recently named her new daughter Marigny and I’m enchanted by the name. They have an older daughter named Rome, which is also lovely.

Gigi_mk Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:35 am

My daughter almost had Brooklyn as a middle name. We liked it because my sister, whose middle name is Lynn, lives in Brooklyn.

mge28 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:04 pm

My favorites are:

Boys: Jordan, Denver, Troy, London, Jasper, Memphis (This has been REALLY growing on me, lately.), Dallas, Austin, and Paris. (I’m surprised to see so many people that like Paris on a boy. I LOVE Paris for a boy, but it didn’t go over too well when I asked for an opinion on my name list. :( )

Girls: Georgia, Sienna, Arizona, Vienna, Avalon, and Olympia.

mariemama Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I am loving Indiana for a girl lately. I would probably put it in the middle, with a classic first. It feels very “adventurer” to me, so think it would match my son’s mn Atlas. I love love love the nickname Indie.

vaness1 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I like Geneva and Raleigh for girls, and Brighton, Rome and Holland for boys.

octobertales Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I’ve loved Cairo for a girl for ages, might very well use it for a daughter someday.

dregina Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Valencia is the only once that comes to mind for me. LOVE Valencia.

dregina Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Valencia is the only once that comes to mind for me. LOVE Valencia.

GHostetler Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Sedona – hubby & I honeymooned there and it is such a beautiful calming place.

larkub101 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I have always loved Phoenix for a girl. Also love Vienna, Savannah, India, I can appreciate Ireland too. Philadelphia would be neat with the nn Delphi.

@rollo Airlie is really cute!

PetraPlum Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 12:53 pm

My name is Petra, and my eldest daughter is Iona – both happen to be place names, but are also girls names in and of themselves. Another thing to consider is that many places were named after people e.g. Charlotte, Virginia, Carolina, Victoria, Madison – so the circle continues as people are named after places which were named for people!

mge28 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I also like Phoenix and Indiana for a boy. :D

Haannahh Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I love Cali it just never gets old, I also like Florence.

dannilynnalexis Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Place names arent really for me, but for awhile I was stuck on Kingston and Jerzy. They both have special meaning to me, but I don’t think I could every name my child after a city, state or country.

Megmarie Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Normally I’m not really into place names, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Montgomery. It is my favorite boy name.

EmilyVA Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I like a lot of place names.

For girls I like states: Virginia (a family name), Carolina, Montana, Florida, Arizona, and Louisiana. I like the more out there state names like California nn Callie and Connecticut nn Connie.
I also like the city names of Nola (New Orleans, Louisiana) and Charlotte, NC.

I do also like the -land trends including Ireland, and Scotland.
For boys I like more city names including:
Denver (friend), Fargo, Pierre, Lincoln, Albany, and Hartford. I also like Dublin. I also like Hudson.

I think place names are more common than people think. Virginia is a family name that was used in the 20’s. In the seventies, a lot of Irish place names became popular including, Shannon, Kerry, and Clare.

Also we have a map feature that allows you to look up names of cities. For example there’s an Emily, MN and an Emilee Texas. If you look around the map lots of names become places and vis versa.

peacelovepurple Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Florence, by far! Sigh. :)

librarybooks Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love Astoria, Indiana, Arizona, Georgia, Olympia & Baltimore for a girl.
For a boy, I like Lincoln.

jame1881 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

For me, place names should have not only a good sound but also a good association.
Girls: Vienna, Andorra, Georgia, Virginia, Valencia, and (as a GP) Wyoming. I wouldn’t mind Ireland on someone else’s kid, same with Odessa.
Boys: Vernon and Kent, and York is okay. I also don’t mind Lincoln on someone else’s kid.
Also, being an American, I’ve always thought it would hilarious to have the last name “Shire” and name your kids Devon, York, Darby, etc. :) (yes I know Darby is spelled Derby, but Darby is close enough to the American ear)

heyarnold924 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I adore the name [name]Verona[/name]. I also have a friend with a little girl named [name]Avonlee[/name]. Both are adorable in my opinion.

JH Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Unless the place name is a normal name, I probably wouldn’t use it, but there are some I like.

I’d use:
Georgia
Virginia
Petra
Charlotte

I like, but don’t think I’d use:
India
Larkspur
Savannah (my husband likes this, not sure I do)
Ireland

I wish I liked Portland because it has special meaning to me and my husband.

cannebella Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 4:01 pm

My favourite overall has to be Oslo. I just love it and I like the fact that it would suit a little boy and an old man.

chicamerlin Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I love:
Havana (Don’t think anyone’s mentioned it yet, and not often seen on NB)
Geneva
Rio
Arcadia
Vienna
Odessa
Asia
Ireland

Kingston
Hamilton
Houston (Except for the “We have a problem” haha)
Jordan
Lincoln

MelodyKatherine Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Ravenna would be a pretty name for a girl.
And for a family with a bit of Irish, Connemara.

MissTrash Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:15 pm

I like India and Eden for girls and Phoenix, Zion, Rio, Salvador and Santiago for boys.

My name is Charlotte so I’ve got a place name too.

I named my dogs Kingston and Trench (Trenchtown). Needless to say I’m a big Marley fan. :)

ellenyc Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I’m into the south pacific/caribbean names: Lahaina (Maui, Hawaii), Moorea (Tahiti), Lucia (St. Lucia, VI), Montego (Jamaica). Out of the box, my guilty pleasure is Ireland. As a side note, my hubby’s name is Dallas and I love it!

MelodyKatherine Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Another Hawaiian name; Hanalei.

Anotherkate Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

The only place name actually on my list is Adare (Ireland), for a girl’s middle name. It’s a cute little village, and the first international destination I visited on my own. But I do spell it Adair depending on what first name i pair it with.
I could imagine using Carolina as it’s just a pretty name to me, but it’d be weird to have it while living in the south. Same with Tennessee (after Williams) for a boys middle.

capturedcastle Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Aurora yet. My friend’s baby was due shortly after the tragic shootings last year, but the name was one they had already picked out long in advance. It makes me wonder about the associations that are built around place names. Columbine is another obvious “touchy” one.

Some place names I like: Bering, Tyrol, Canaan, Thrace, for boys. For girls: Tallulah, Galilee, Bethany, Savannah (don’t love the name, but has personal significance to my husband and me), Isla.

There’s also a lot of names I like that have to do with places, but are not proper nouns: Holden (hollow valley), Eldon (sacred hill), Forrest, Morgan (sea circle), Hale (someone who lives in a hollow), Arden (valley of the eagle), Aaron (high mountain). Magdalena (woman from Magdala/high tower), Harriet (estate ruler), Lennox (elm grove), Ellery (island with elder trees), Waverly (meadow of quivering aspens).

LexieM Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:06 pm

After swearing for years that I disliked place names I realized I loved both Merida and Illyria and if I ever had twin girls would name them these names. (Go figure.) lol.

Waverly1234 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I met a little girl named Cairo which was adorable! I also love the name Catalina and as a little kid I dreamed of naming my future daughter Georgia.

amandaberry Says:

Georgia
Aurora
Lucia
Vienna

joel613 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

India hands down. It has such a cool, refined and exotic sound and image.

Taz Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 7:56 am

Olympia & Georgia

MerMaiden6 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Loving Avonlea, Marietta, and Geneva most of those already mentioned.

As others have said, I’d have a hard time using a place name if the place didn’t have special significance to me. I like the sound of Paris and London very much, as names, but I haven’t been to the former and don’t have any particularly strong feelings about the latter. A name I’ve long considered using for a girl, but am constantly doubting because it’s not particularly feminine, is Somerset. My husband and I spent our honeymoon at a resort in Somerset Village, Bermuda, and that island was my family’s favorite vacation spot when I was growing up. It’s still a place we visit together, and where we have many special memories.

jpruitt76 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Place names aren’t typically my thing but I would consider using one if it had special significance. I’ve always loved the name Marigny (mare-ih-nee) after growing up with a girl with this name – her mom chose it because that was the street she and her husband lived on in New Orleans when they first got married. My cousin has the middle name Israel because that’s where he was conceived (ick). ;)

Some other faves: Catalina, Laramie, Georgia, Lincoln, Montgomery, Tallulah, India, Georgia, Charlotte, Florence, Eden, Virginia (and many others that I don’t really associate as place names: Grant, Jasper, etc).

miriannco Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 3:06 am

India(na), Geneva, Holland & Alaska

ababkirk Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 9:00 am

I’ve always loved Taliesin, the name of Frank Lloyd Wright’s studios in Wisconsin and Arizona. It was originally “the name of the Welsh bard Taliesin, whose name means “shining brow” or “radiant brow” (Wikipedia). I was so glad when it finally got listed here on Nameberry.

LadyPilot Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Sedona
Egypt

vim876 Says:

June 16th, 2013 at 9:12 am

I know this is late, but to whomever suggested Dresden, PLEASE don’t use it. We (the US) firebombed it in WWII, bringing total devastation. Kurt Vonnegut’s “Slaughterhouse Five” is about his experience surviving it as a prisoner-of-war. If you wouldn’t name your kid Hiroshima or Nagasaki, don’t name them Dresden.

amylette Says:

June 16th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I personally love place names.

Florence – Elegant, Classic. Love the nickname possibilities – Floss/Florrie/Ren/Flo
India
Savannah
Adelaide
Charlotte
Adair
Vienna

Denver
Jasper
Aspen
Charleston

iwillpraise Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I adore Adelaide <3 The first time I "met" her in a 18th century book, I was enamored and speechless over her rare beauty. I was 16 yrs old, at the time, and had no idea that it was an Austrailian city nor that it would be rising in popularity. The character's personality was just as lovely as her name (and it's meaning), and thankfully my husband has agreed with me that it will be our first daughter's name someday.

I have a friend named Georgia and another named Geneva. I'm intrigued by a female named Louisiana, but not too keen on using it; the state of Louisiana is not personal to me or husband.

That being said, I have also been in love with feminine sounding Alberta nn Albie (Canada), Oaklyn (NJ), and Minerva nn Min (Ohio), but only as guilty pleasure middle names as I have never been to any of the actual places. In fact, Minerva is one I've just recently discovered is a place name, although for years she's been a favorite – and it's really cool that Ohio is my homestate.

Dublin is one I've considered for a son's middle name – husband's family is mostly Irish.

iwillpraise Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

P.S. My name is Kimberly and apparently it comes from Kimberley, South Africa, named after a lord with the same name.

cadeence Says:

July 3rd, 2013 at 10:07 am

I looked through your place name list, and here are my thoughts.
My favorites are London, Louisiana (since I first heard it looooong time ago, I thought it was a girl name), Brooklyn and Raleigh. Oh and also Lydia and Florence – my favorites!
Some of the names made me react like “WTF?!?! Who the heck will name their child like this?!” They are Morocco, Russia (that’s my country, but I can’t stand it as a name!!!), Trinidad, Odessa (although its pretty enough to be a name, but it associates to me only as Ukrainian city).

Gummibear Says:

July 17th, 2013 at 12:28 am

I love Avalon and Cambria.

darahart Says:

August 24th, 2013 at 8:33 pm

we have twin daughters: Caroline & Savannah.

EastonUpNorth Says:

October 23rd, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Has anyone mentioned Dayton? I went to college with a Deighton and I always thought her name was pretty!

labelo Says:

October 30th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

My husband would name his daughter London in a heartbeat if I would agree.

I don’t usually like place names, though I do like Georgia. It doesn’t seem so place namey to me since it’s a feminine version of George, though.

AprilRobin Says:

November 1st, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I like Memphis, Georgia, Charlotte (North Carolina), Minerva (Ohio), and Elizabeth (New Jersey and Colorado).

littlewren Says:

November 8th, 2013 at 12:41 am

I like Geneva and Olympia. Not because of the places, though.

@EastonUpNorth: I know a Dayton, actually. A seventeen-year-old guy. I didn’t know it was a place name, though.

AnthonyPS Says:

April 22nd, 2014 at 2:43 am

Personally I find place names absolutely fascinating. However they are place names and not people names and whilst there will always be some exchange (both ways) a great deal of thought should be given to giving a child a name.

These mindless morons who give their children unique names because it’s the trendy thing to do should spare a thought for the child. They will spend over ten years of their lives at school tortured by their classmates because they were named Greenland or Yellowstone or Tibet or some other mindless whim.

By the time they are old enough to change their own name it will mean having to go somewhere new so that nobody recalls their parents (usually mother) decided their darling little Bognor-Regis needs a lifetime of reminders of where he was conceived.

There is a reason why Johnny Cash’s song Boy Named Sue was a success.

LunaCross Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 5:01 pm

My school has a puppy named Memphis, which is in Tennessee, I believe. I like the name Georgia too on a girl, and same goes for London. Paris would work, I guess, but there’s Paris Hilton.

LunaCross Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I also love Austin on a boy, because I know a fellow student named Austin, and that’s a city in Texas. Orlando may be a city in Florida, but usable thanks to Orlando Bloom.

Cheyenne Says:

July 23rd, 2014 at 3:06 pm

My daughter’s name is Holland and we love it. We named her Holland because my family is Dutch. My name is Cheyenne and it was nice to have her sort of named after me in a sense because of the location first name.

I really like the name Berlin and I think if we ever have a boy, I really like Caspian. Caspian would also be a family linked name since some of our family is from around the Caspian Sea area.

jem Says:

October 5th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

My favourite girl place names are Olympia and Geneva.
My favourite boy place name is Caspian.