What were your dolls’ names?

comments

125 Responses to “What were your dolls’ names?”

ClaireDarling Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I almost always called my dolls the same name: Alex. This was after a cousin that I adored. I just called all of them the same name! Along the same line, I had an imaginary friend called Judy. Maybe after Judy Garland, but I can’t really pinpoint that origin!

southern.maple Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I had five American Girl/Bitty Baby dolls. I had the Kirsten and Samantha dolls, as well as a “lookalike” that I called Hazel Charlotte. I got the Bitty Baby twins the first year they came out and named them Edward and Eleanor. I specifically remember my aunt being bewildered by the name choices and telling me that she thought Edward looked more like a Jacob. I always got weird looks when I introduced my dolls to people, but they never would tell me what the look was about when I asked them. Looking back, I guess they were just surprised? Most girls I knew named their dolls after their favorite Disney princess or their best friend. I had another baby doll named Jessie. All six dolls are sitting in places of honor on the top shelf of my closet right now. :p

Mrs_Darling Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:38 pm

I had tons of dolls growing up, but only named three of them: Christina Eve, Lauren and Emmeline. I used Christina Eve for a doll I received on Christmas Eve. As for Lauren and Emmeline, didn’t even like those names. They just seemed to belong to the doll.

author in writing Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

My first baby doll I remember was “Cherry doll” because she could eat cherries. Then there was Bridget with Bethany the stuffed dog. I also had a lookalike American Girl doll whose name changed frequently because I couldn’t decide on the perfect name but I remember her being a Maria and an Amber.

HarderToBreathe Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I had lots of dolls over the years, and I collect dolls now. The ones I’ve named include: Anne Marie & Lucinda (they came together), Heidi, Anastasia (she’s from Russia), Nicolette (I think it says Nicholas or something on the box, so that’s where I got it from), Marie (my friend told me she looked liked Marie Antoinette), & Kailani (she’s from Hawaii). My bitty baby was named Bailey, and my look alike American girl was named Gabrielle, but I mostly called her Gabby. I had Samantha, Josephina, Marisol, & Nikki as my other American girls. I have lots of others that came prenamed, including (another) Lucinda, Mary (Mary had a little lamb), Daisy Buchanan & Jay Gatsby, Emily Elizabeth (from Clifford the Big Red Dog), several named Wendy (most of the Madame Alexanders are called Wendy…), Peter Pan & Wendy & Tinkerbell, Dorothy (from Wizard of Oz) & one named Tess. I have lots more (as my mom collects too so we share), and I can’t think of them all. I named all of my stuffed animals too! I had one named Claire and one named Laura, which were the only ones that got real (not something really dumb) names.
Those are some that I named.

lillian85 Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:47 pm

My grandma used to give me a porcelain doll every year for Christmas. I could never remember what I named them though, so I would write it on a piece of paper and stick it in their pocket or dress sleeve. My parents still have them all stored up in their attic. It could be a fun/interesting thing to revisit for naming inspiration.

KickinKay Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:52 pm

When I was younger I had two baby dolls that I switched off between, a girl named Bindi (like Indian customary accessory) and a boy named Timothy. My name taste has definitely changed since then since I strongly dislike both names now…. However, the American girl doll I got a few years later has a name I still pride myself in choosing, I called her Violet Samantha. I do not remember why I choose Violet, I just loved the name, I still do! Samantha was because in preparation of receiving my American girl, I read all the historical American girl books from the library, and and Samantha was my favorite character.

lesliemarion Says:

March 4th, 2014 at 11:59 pm

Oh, what a wonderful question.

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s, when dolls looked like babies, not 35 year old Doris Day clones (have you seen some of today’s dolls??? Scary).

My first I named Tessie. Hard plastic and I don’t know what befell her, but giant tuffs of her blonde hair fell out.

A softer doll, Daphne, for the incredibly scented shrub growing outside my window, and later the name of my beloved calico.

My mother’s two Madame Alexander dolls from the 40’s: Isabella (who I identified with) and Baby Cordelia (the later name of my unborn daughter). Cordelia lacks legs and Isabella’s arm fell off, but they are still beautiful.

A whole collection of “foreign” dolls that my young aunt and uncle got me from refried bean can labels. I gave them the most exotic names I could think of. The Dutch one was Linda and the Scottish one Gina (OK. I was young!).

And my last baby doll, when I was ten, and my cousin was born. I named it for her, Dawn Christina, and she was the prettiest and most real baby-like of my dolls.

And then the Barbies. My only real Barbie had blonde hair that grew when you yanked her ponytail. My paternal grandmother made her a bride Barbie by sewing her a white bridal gown out of her own wedding dress fabric. I had Skipper, and two funny little tween dolls named funny little names (will have to check eBay!) and Francie and Casey. Francie and Casey were exotic and thrilled me, unlike the blonde Barbie with the perpetually startled scary blue eyes.

This makes me want to go buy myself a doll (an old doll!).

jaimetanae Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:08 am

I had so many dolls, barbies and stuffed animals with their own names it’s almost ridiculous that I remember these! My two favorite baby dolls were Chloe and Ivy, I think I got them when I was five or six and my sister, who’s 15 now, called the dolls by the same name because I was so adamant that their names stay the same! When I played Barbies I had my favorite family I’d choose every time, the wife and mom’s name was Kate, who was married to Max and they had two daughters who’s names changed every so often ( I remember frequently using Olive and Lola). My favorite stuffed animals I played with were always dogs with ‘normal’ dog names, Sandy, Blackie, and Coco (and I bet you can guess what colors they were!!). I slept with a floppy dog called Scruffy for years and years as well. The more ‘unique’ names I remember using were Dakota for a ‘lifelike’ brown bear, Alaska for a husky, Savannah for a huge plush leopard, and Serephina for a unicorn I adored.

I still have all of them, minus that gigantic leopard!

barrys_baby Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:08 am

When I was a child I remember my mother smirking as she would tell her friends what I’d named my latest doll.

The most outrageous was a rag doll called Ballerina Hot Dog.
My favorite doll was named Jeff for years, until I was 6 and decided “he” was a “she” and renamed her Jana.
When I was older, I named my Bitty Baby doll Emma, my American Girl knockoff Sydney-Mariah, and my cabbage patch dolls Lily Eve and Olivia.
Some of those names have become popular, oddly, enough.
Other favorites were Lacey, Fredrika, Zyella, Sheronda, Violet, and Dee.
My boy dolls were Phillip, Theodore, Bernard, Kiko, and Nortle.
With my barbies, actually, I was not creative at all and just called them Barbie, Skipper, Stacey, Kelly, and what have you.

It’d be interesting if someone were to have named their child the same name they used on a doll and loved :)

EmiTheDuckling Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:14 am

I never really played with dolls a lot when I was little, but I had these plastic animal figurines at my grandma’s I named. I had a mother and a baby of each type of animal. My grandma still has all of the animals! I still have the catalogue where I circled every animal that I had and put their name on it, and all of their names started with the same letter as the type of animal that they were (with the exception of a koala named Queso….). Off the top of my head I can remember my donkies were named Dawn and Daisy, the horses were Hadley, Hayden, Hillary, Henry, and Hannah ( I LOVED horses as a kid), the monkeys were Mitchell and Minnow, and the Giraffes were Gwendolyn (after a friend hahaha) and Geoffrey (after the Toys R Us giraffe)

EmiTheDuckling Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:15 am

My favorite story is a little girl I babysat told her mom her babys name was Carlos and when her mom had a baby his name would be Carlos too. They still haven’t had a second, but when they do, I am sure Jade will be fighting for a Carlos! XD

Touktouk Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:26 am

My Cabbage Patch doll was Annie-Josie. My mom probably picked her because she had the same first name as me. I didn’t bother renaming her but I didn’t like that we had such a similar name. I also didn’t like that she had long hair and didn’t look like a baby.

I gave my barbie the name Rosaline because I loved pink and she came with a pink cashmere sweater.

My favorite teddy bear was Sonny – named after one of the actor in Miami-Vice TV show my mom was watching late at night. I later changed his name to Anthony for a boy I had a crush on in second grade.

One of my hamster was Bruno until he gave birth….the next day, he was renamed Brunette.
Only one of Brunette’s baby lived more than a month so he got the name Champion.
My sister’s hamster was Hector and he’s the one responsible for getting Bruno pregnant.

My bunny rabbit was Oscar.

My first cat was Ti-Gris “Lil-Gray” . The nameless neighbors’ cat became Ti-Jaune “Lil-Yellow” My last cat was named Tricky because he was mischievous.

I adopted some hamsters and didn’t change their givin names. They were Ernie & Menie and Willow.

We named a Robin that came to make his nest near our house year after year Pit-Pit.

My most original name was given to a little blue mouse that came out of a huge chocolate egg. For some reason, I really liked that little mouse and I named him Degroll. It sounds like eggrolls but I don’t know if that was my inspiration.

Llumeneres Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:09 am

I didn’t really have dolls when I was younger, mostly a lot of stuffed animals. My stuffed rabbit was named Ruby. There was Sally the stuffed horse, Ozzie the ostrich, Mo the bear, Sammy the fox, Corky the owl, Rutherford and Emmeline the hedgehogs, and Jessie, which is what I named the fluffy pom-pom that I cut off the end of a Santa had and glued goggly eyes onto. I also had Henry and Olivia the Lego-people, plus Alice, the name of the doll I made in fourth grade.

Gummibear Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:16 am

I only have one doll who’s name is Emeli

but i have tons of stuffed toys.

Theodore and Amadeus: my teddy bears

Amaranth: my hippo

Jasper: my tiger

Florian: my elephant

Missy: my cat

Phoebe and Norville: my penguins

Heather and Samuel: my puppies

Jules: my stingray

Percy: my panda

Zoe: my zebra

and lots more!

Haili73 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:19 am

My favorite doll was Teresa. (not Theresa, mind you) Teresa Rose Melody (yes, Melody was the surname I stole from the second Little Mermaid movie. It belonged to all of my dolls.) I have no idea where my 4 year old mind got Teresa – I don’t know anyone with the name and I’d never heard it anywhere. Rose was because of her rosy cheeks.
I felt bad if a doll came with a name and I changed it, but my Thumbelina doll was also called Tabitha. I want to say I thought of Tulip as a middle name, but I think I probably went with Daisy or something. I think I had a Christina Tulip Melody. I liked flower middle names.
I had a ballerina doll named Sara (not Sarah)
I called Josefina by her name.
I got another doll who had a name that I have since forgotten. I called her Laura for a while but I kept changing it.
Most recently, I got a teddy bear last year. I named him Beast. Guess what my favorite fairy tale is?

All of my sister’s dolls were named Annabelle or Isabelle, the exceptions being Sleepy Baby and Green Baby. All of her stuffed pigs were named Wilbur.

bethany_marie Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:27 am

I don’t remember too many that I came up with – I was a particular child about names, so most of my dolls kept the names they arrived with. Alecia was my cabbage patch doll’s name, and even though I didn’t like it, that was her name, so she kept it. Belle barbie was always Belle and Addy from American Girls was always Addy. I do remember going through an Ebony phase though – any doll that didn’t have a name got saddled with Ebony for a long time.

Fourthseason Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:42 am

I really didn’t play much with dolls, and more with toy airplanes. However, I did have two dolls. One was a cabbage patch doll named Jezabel, I know the evil women in the bible. It was suppose to be Jesabel, the dolls name was Jessica and I lived in Isabel, KS. I thought the smoosh did her nicely, but my mother mistook my s for z and the sotry book was about Jezabel not Jesabel. I was devastated when I got older and gained more knowledge in Bible school, finding out that my baby doll was named after horrible figure in the Bible. My second wasn’t really a doll, but hand-sewn Bunny made by my Grandmother that I named Zoe. Zoe was a decoration ONLY, no one could play with her, she was pretty and in my child-like mind, Zoe was something to passed down, not to be played with.

MaeBear24 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:44 am

My cabbage patch kid was Eleanor Mae (which I love!)- my mum picked her for me because my nickname is Mae!

My favourite childhood toy was a doll called Lucy

I also had a teddy called Cosgrove.

SoDallas3 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:24 am

My first doll was called “Dolly Bry” after my cousin Briony (Bri-OWN-ee.)
I had a little seal that I got while on holiday with my parents in Perth that I named Paddy which later somehow became Percy! I think I grew up and started to forget the name.

My teddy bear was a male bear named “Honey Bear,” plain and simple because he obviously ate honey.
I didn’t often rename my baby dolls, they were often just Baby Born or whatever else, but I had a Zapp Creation’s Chou Chou doll and I think she became an Annabella or something.

I had a lot of porcelain dolls growing up, most came with their own names like Bonnie, Amelie, Pamela and Madeline. I loved Amelie, because she was a Christmas doll, dressed in a burgundy velvet shawl with white fur trim and was covered in glitter stars and moons, with curly blonde ringlets. I had another with a very old style painted face with the big curling eyelashes and blonde waves. They sort of looked like my mother and my godmother so they became “Tess/Terrie” Teresa and “Nancy” Francesca. I later ended up giving Francesca away due to a lack of space. “Tess/Terrie” Teresa began to look strickingly more like a Clara to me from The Nutcracker so she had a name change.

Mostly, those are the ones I remember from when I was really small.

SoDallas3 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:29 am

Oh and at one stage I renamed my Wizard of Oz Barbie, Marion after the character on Dinotopia!

Lilea Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 3:35 am

I got a baby doll when I was 3 years old. She was a present from my parents to mark the birth of my brother Jonathan Simon Mark. I decided to name her Hannah Elizabeth Sarah, which was the name that my parents had chosen for Jonathan should he have been a girl. Apparently they found it quite cute! Hannah is now 22 years old but I still have her and my nephew was playing with her yesterday. Hopefully one day my children will play with her. I also had a rag doll who I named Sally, for no reason other than that it ‘suited her’. She was yellow and pink with a little dolly hat and beautiful smile!

cbann Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 4:40 am

My main stuffed animals were Marie, which is my middle name and Cool.

SunKissedChild Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 4:55 am

I always named my dolls either Nancy, Isabelle or Elizabeth. I have absolutely no idea why! I still love the name Elizabeth, but out grew the other two a long time ago :)

jem Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 5:42 am

I never let the tag dictate what my doll/toy was called – I always named them myself!
Some of my favourites:
Arabella the China doll
Audrey the doll
Flora the teddy bear (she came wearing a dress with flowers on it so 8-year-old me decided on Flora)
Penelope the Baby Born doll (still love this name!)
Sammy the Beanie Baby
Marigold the monkey
Amanda the rag doll

Vanessaelless Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:35 am

From the time I was talking all the toys that came my way got named by me… and as a toddler I was very imaginative! Bemmasella Cradle was one of my earliest efforts, a doll with pink woollen hair. Goodness knows where names I found inspiration for those clangers. A couple of years later the naming process had become quite the ritual, the decisions often difficult and carefully considered. By then they were more pedestrian choices: Rosalie, Giselle, April, Laura for example

Sunflowerist Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:43 am

I only really remember my stuffed animal St. Bernard dog, I named it Berniece.. My grandma made it a custom jacket thing embroidered with its name :)

laurakatex Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:49 am

Growing up I had a baby annabel doll and I named her Sophie Taylor, I don’t know why I didn’t just call her annabel since that was her name. I also had a baby born doll which I called Carmen for a short period of time.

My niece Mia Rose, who is three, names all of her dolls and teddies Rosie because that’s part of her name too.

calypsotheoneandonly Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:36 am

I didn’t have a lot of dolls when I was little, but I did have a lot of stuffed animals. Their names: Phoebe, Toto, Twig. E. Bearkins (he came with that name), Minerva, Fluffy, Fuzzy, Pluto, Laura, Carol, Bluebell, Belda, Humphrey, and Ted.

AprilRobin Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:58 am

I had a few dolls growing up mostly stuffed animals. I remember having a doll named Anabelle and I carried her with me every where along with a stuffed lamb named Lambchop and a pig named Wilbur they were my best friends growing up until I started school.

loislane1222 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:19 am

I am 32 and live in the Midwest.

The first doll I remember naming was my Cabbage Patch doll, Emily. Poor Emily was bald, and mean girls at church made fun of her. My mom bought me a bonnet for Emily’s head.

I later adored a Magic Nursery Baby that I named Cindy, after Cindy from the Brady Bunch.

I had the popular, tiny, ridiculously expensive Quints dolls. I named them Jessica, Jimmy, Jill, Joey, and Joy.

I had a Kid Sister doll. I changed her clothes, braided her hair, and names her Carrie — she was Baby Carrie from “Little House on the Prairie.”

I know I renamed my Barbies, but I can’t remember specifics, except that the Barbie family’s surname was Campbell. Mr. Campbell owned the Campbell soup factory to support Barbie and their insanely large family.

marisarose Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:32 am

My favorite dolls were my American Girl Samantha doll and my Bitty Baby doll, whom it took me over a month to name. I got her when I was nine for Christmas, and no one could understand why it was taking me so long to name her. I finally chose Hazel Noelle, whom I called Ellie.

SorchaMcDougal Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:39 am

I have a brother who is two years younger than me, and I got a baby boy doll when he was born so that I could have a baby, too. I called him Jacob for some reason. My grandmother collected beanie babies, and I named almost all of them, and some of them that I didn’t like I gave names that I hated, like Chantel.

refinnej Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:46 am

I remember re-naming my Barbie doll… Care pronounced like Carrie. I re-named my Ken doll Harrison and their last names were either Montague or Montgomery depending on the game that my little sister and I were playing. I remember being fascinated by Civil War era/style names. This was between 1979 and 1986.

awkwardinpink Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:52 am

I love this question!

Esther was one of my first dolls (after I named her, my mom even embroidered her name on the front of her dress), followed by Pamela, who had a battery pack in her back so I think she used to speak, but she came from a yard sale so that was always a mystery. Then I had a small yellow doll I named Millie, a pink-haired doll named Bobbi Jo, and and American Girl look-alike that I originally called Mountie (named after a movie character, a little mountain girl), but when my friends and teachers told me that wasn’t really a name, I started calling her Mandy instead.

amylette Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:53 am

The only doll name I can remember was a doll my grandma gave me, her name was Mary.

eleminty Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:54 am

I only remember two stuffed animals that I named (I’m POSITIVE there were more but these are the only ones I remember). One was a BeanieBuddy monkey named Bongo and a BeanieBuddy elephant named Elenore, spelled like that, not Eleanor. I still have Elenore now at age 24.

mermuse Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:04 am

Only ONE Barbie doll, the matriarch of my Barbie doll “family,” was “Barbie.” The rest were all christened anew! I forgot about that until now. But, what else do you expect from a berry? ;)

MaryKathryn Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:12 am

I had 4 very important dolls to me: Emma, April, Summer, and Kit. Emma was a baby doll that I got when I was 5 or so and I never let her go, I always played with her and I still have a special place in my heart for her today. That being said, I was IN LOVE with the name Emma, until my cousin was named Emma and my dreams of having a daughter named Emma were shattered. April was an American Girl Doll and I named her after the month I was born. Summer is another American Girl Doll and I named her after my best friend at the time. Kit was yet another American Girl Doll, she is my favorite and her name is so eloquent.

Pam Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:15 am

I’m really loving everyone’s answers, and feeling embarrassed at the same time to admit I never gave my dolls original names — not a very auspicious start for a name expert! I think I believed that you had to keep the name the doll came with; I blame my rule-bound Catholic childhood. I want a doll-naming do over!

Sweekune Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:28 am

I found dolls quite creepy as a child and still do to an extent! I had several action men called various names such as Dan, Matt, Max and Brad. My one barbie was used as the hostage for them to rescue! I have a toy lamb called Yodie, after Yoda from Star Wars as his ears stick out like the Jedi master’s, and another called Dizzy. As I mostly played with things like Lego and Mechano, my toys didn’t really have names beyond the temporary names I’d give my lego figures.

emilybrianna Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:35 am

I had two baby dolls: Tabitha and Alicia. I don’t know where I came up with those names, but I actually still like them well enough. I also had a bear named Chewybits. That one doesn’t stand the test of time quite so well! ;)

spotlightstarlit Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:39 am

My mother named Corinda and Belinda for me, and I named Rose, Eden, Lily and Magnolia.

You can really see my fascination for all botanical names there.

mulme944 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:40 am

I had a special doll which I named Rebecca (Becky). She was given me by my paternal grandparents (who NEVER gave us gifts) for Christmas when I was probably about 9. She had blonde pigtails and had beautiful blue eyes. I think my inspiration for her name was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farms… I loved to read and I had seen the film version with Shirley Temple. She was so dear because she was one of only 2 gifts I ever received from them. I played with her incessantly. I remember being 14 and hiding in my bedroom, ashamed to be playing with a doll, but loving every minute of it.
Other special favorites included:
Rattly Natalie- my very first doll which I received as an infant. She had a rattle in her belly, obviously.
Heather- kind of a freakish one, actually, although I played with her a ton!
Lily- a white bunny with pink satin ears who looked EXACTLY like the modern cartoon friend of Peter Rabbit with the same name on Nick JR.
Ellie- the blue silky elephant. I used to always “need” him when I was sick. He was more huggable than dolls.He is a male character and I still love him. My mother says he was the very first gift I received as an infant.

SheFliesWithHerOwnWings Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:49 am

I had 3 dolls that I had a really big attachment to. They were 2 boy dolls that I named Elliot and Luke and a girl doll that I named Bethany. Elliot was the name of a baby I liked looking after at my mother’s day care, while Luke was the name of my mom’s friend’s little boy. I have no idea where the name Bethany came from, I think it may have been the name of someone I knew.

interndayna Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:55 am

I had Amy doll, she was my first baby doll and I think I still have her somewhere. I also had names for all my barbies though I was more prone to naming the Kelly dolls, there was Crystal and Annie, and Penny was my redheaded one.

Niusity Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:56 am

Every doll I’ve ever owned had her own name and I still remember them all. Their names were Sophia, Kate, Lily, Lolita, Valerie and my favo of them all – Dennis who’s a doll the size of a 6 month old baby. I still have many of my dolls. My stuffed animals also had names. Mary’s a huge green bunny and Eleanor nn Ellie also a bunny. She was big, white and wearing a skirt. She also had a baby bunny.

katybug Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:03 am

I inky remember one doll’s name, a baby doll I got when I was three that I named Flower.

doulajulie Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:05 am

The first doll I remember way Betsy Wetsy, you can imagine what she did! I kept her name. My most memorable doll was toddler sized and named Nancy. I regularly cut her hair thinking it would grow back, until it was very short!! I mostly used names on cats, since we always had a litter or two every spring. My favorite two were Sam the black male and Callie the callico. Our dogs were names after the space program: Gemini, Apollo(Polly), Apollo’s Star(Star).

MissPix Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:20 am

I had Samantha and Kirsten from the American Girls. I also had a few Cabbage Patch dolls who came with names. The ones I remeber were Abigail, Stephanie and Stacey. I named a lot of my unnamed dolls Alyssa, Sarah, Jackie and Cassady. Sarah was my favorite name, Alyssa was my best friend in Kindergarten and Jackie and Cassady were friends of my sisters. They were teens when I was around 4-5 and I just thought they were the prettiest, coolest girls ever.

miloowen Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:20 am

Well, I was probably the most “ungirl-like” girl I knew. I never played with dolls, even though I was given plenty of them, and at one point probably had every original Barbie doll character ever made. I played with horses and I had dozens of them, plastic horses, glass horses, and paper horses that I cut out of magazines and carried around with me, like Velvet in National Velvet. All of my horses had appropriate horsey names (Blaze, Stormy, etc) and my old rocking horse in the basement was renamed every year after the Kentucky Derby winner.

I was always a writer — I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing — so I started naming characters before I went to school. All of my naming lists and research into name origins started quite early but were given to my characters.

However, there was one exception, and that was that my sister and I had a collection of “royal” paper dolls from fairy tales. I renamed these characters and they became part of an epic fantasy that we played outside every summer (despite mosquitos). We had a glorious granite stone wall around our property, and a creek, and we created a whole miniature world for these paper doll characters. I can remember their names: Giles was the crown prince and Honour was his sister; their cousins were William, Elisabeth, Thomas, Elinor, and Edward, and their “ward” was Kate. We must have played this particular game for years, and in fact, in college I carried through with creating this world, basing it on Welsh and Norse mythology and eventually, for my German Lit class, writing a series of stories about these characters in German, lol.

PinkPenguin87 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:21 am

I had a lot of dolls growing up but the names that stick out to me are:
Nicole
Melanie
Gretchen
Victoria
Jack
Fiona
But my first dog that I had when I was two was named Cardoor. He was a little beagle puppy.

kitchi1 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:31 am

I had some American girl dolls. I kept all their names.
Samantha – American Girl Doll
Nellie – American Girl Doll
Felicity – American Girl Doll
Adelaide “Addy” – American Girl Doll – Her name was Addy, but I loved the name Adelaide too, so that was her full name haha.
Natalie – American Girl Doll (lookalike) (I later gained a stepmom named Natalie, too) – Named her this because it meant Christmas or something similar, and I got her on Christmas.
Lia – Bitty Baby – I named her this because it rhymed with my name. I named almost everything this. I had like two bunnies named Lia.
Mia – Doll
Kanaei – American Girl Doll – I made up this name myself, pronounced Kuh-nye. It’s because my grandmother wouldn’t stop pronouncing the name ‘Kanani’ like that, so I stuck with it.
Lanie – Doll
Frankie – Doll – came with name
Coraline – Doll
Mariah – Doll – named her this because somewhere I read dracula’s daughter was named Mariah. Lol.
Black Baby – doll – I think her name was originally Annabelle, but can’t be sure. She was black and a baby, so that’s what I called her.
Candy Apple – It was a homemade cabbage patch kid that was passed down to me. I didn’t play with her, though.

I had a bunch of Teddy bears! I named them all. There names were…
Woody – he was my favorite. He’s in my hope chest. He is so raggedy from being carried around everywhere. My grandmother suggested the name and I went with it.
Blackie – he was a black bear.
Terena – I made it up. Pronounced trenna.
Honey – it was a bear. Bears ate honey.
Snuggles – not sure why.
Precious – not sure why.
Clay – after someone
Ginger – she had a gingerbread man dress
I seriously cannot remember anyone else! I had soo many though. There were also others that didn’t have names. Ones original name was Billy Bob, but I never called them that.

When I was 8, I got a ferret. I named her Hollie, because I got her on Christmas. Her middle name was Patricia. Right now I have two ferrets named Rosamund “Rosie” and Moe, their middle names are Björk and Robert after singers.

When I was really little I had an angora-mix bunny named Cutie Pie. I named her. I also had two bunnies named Lia, and when I was 12 I got one and named her Evelyn. She was nameless for forever, so my mom said to name her Evelyn or Eleanor. I made my friend choose, and she said Evelyn, so that was that. I called her Ever a lot, and my friend called her Evie.

I am getting a dog that’s a girl, and I’m going crazy over trying to find a name!! I like Cosette and Agatha “Aggie”, but I’m lost. I was going to name it Tate if it was a boy, but it’s not.

Also we always had mice when I was little, because every mouse we found outside, we would keep. I can’t remember what I named the others, but one was Mousy. She was a sick little mouse. Looking back, there had to of been something seriously wrong with her. We stopped getting nice after we gained three outside cats. Now they get them all.

My sister had a cat named Max (he’s actually still alive) and three guinea pigs throughout her life named Yoyo, Miranda, and Chunk. When she got Yoyo, she saw a picture of a cat with a tag that said “yoyo”, so she named it that. Miranda was just a suggestion from my grandfather, and who knows where she got Chunk.

My sister also had and still does have many American girl dolls and bitty babies. Their names are…
Cloe – AG lookalike – her favorite name when she was little. Cloe was the name of almost everything of hers, and yes, without the ‘h’.
Max – Bitty Baby – She named just about everything Max too.
Marsha – Bitty Baby – it starts with M, just like her name.
Christina – AG lookalike – she liked the name
Josefina – AG – came with name
She had more, but I can’t remember. Also I’m pretty sure that all her Bitty babies except Max changed names all the time.
My sister also used to want a hamster and wanted to name it Captain Hammy. She never got one.

I’m sure there are many, many more. I also had Cabbage Patch Kids, but I don’t think I really ever called them anything.

katherine_mcintyre Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:32 am

the first doll i remember naming was named stacey.

degrasswizkid Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:34 am

My favorite doll was Pixie, I also had an Emily

chellemma1 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’m not sure which ones I named myself but my baby dolls were: Rachel (my name), Emma (my middle name), Amy, Lisa and Lucy.
I had a hippo hot water bottle named Henrietta after a character from Thomas the tank engine.
I had a collection of porcelin dolls – I can’t remember all the names but I had ‘twins’ called Isobel and Billy, Annabel, Sandy (boy) and Jane,

SeaZuno86 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:56 am

I remember naming a lot of my dolls Samantha, I always wanted that American Doll but never had one. I also remember dolls named Amber (a friends sisters name), Michelle, Summer and Gia. I still like the names Samantha (too popular though) and Gia.

I also remember having a stuffed mouse named Gus (I loved Cinderella) and dogs named Mae-Mae, Penny and Brittany.

Barbies names changed every time we played with them.

This was later, but playing the Sims I always named the main person either Kirsten or Skya…. names I wanted for myself!

Name_Walrus Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 11:19 am

I mostly grew up with Beanie Babies, which I didn’t bother renaming, with Luke the lab being my favorite (still love the name). But I do remember that my brother and I named all our GI Joes. The ones I remember are Alexander (the leader), Douglas and Richard (brothers), Spike, Hans, Rodney, Claire, and Wanda, with a pair of power rangers named Teresa and Brandon and the bad guy being this old Yellow power ranger we named Hannah. I think we also named our toy cars, but the only one I remember is Caroline, a little red Matchbox.

Stuffed animalwise, I remember Claude the goldfish, Katie the dog, and Opie the Sea Lion. Then there are the less original names, like a cow named Cow and Pterodactyl the pterodactyl. My brother has a penguin named Penguin, too, so…yeah.

bohobabybump Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 11:41 am

my favorite doll’s name was Bithia…i found it in an exotic name book i bought at a garage sale when i was 6. HA!

Narwhal87 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Every single doll that I had growing up shared the same name: Katie. Katie (Kathryn) was the name of my cousin who was four years older than me (and, at the time, my only female cousin) whom I adored and looked up to for many, many years.

peach25 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

My big stuffed dog was Doc because he was a gift from my father’s good friend, who was a Doctor. I always said when I grew up I was going to have a big yellow dog and name him Doc. I did — my wonderful goldenlabrachow. My first baby doll was Libby, although my mother says she was Livvie, for Olivia. I named everything — dolls, stuffed animals, cats, horse figurines, paper dolls — and now I name characters in books, including a dog named Doc!

capturedcastle Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Oh man. I had a puppy named “Puppy.” A kitten named “Kitten.” A bunny named “Bunny.” Not even joking. My first babydoll was “Baby Sunshine,” although that might have been the name the doll was given with. I had a monkey named “Minkey.” Very unoriginal.

I did have a doll named Mallory, although I think that might have been based on one of my best friends at the time. She had blue hair…the doll, not the friend.

Keyla Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Most of my dolls already had names so I just kept them the same. I did get to name a set of triplets and was wayyyyy too excited. I didn’t have a baby name book, but another one of my dolls came with a cardboard printout of suggested names that I cherished for many years (I had no clue I was a “name nerd” yet, but that’s because I didn’t know such a thing existed at the age of 9…ahh, hindsight!). The names I chose for my BGG triplets were Calvin, Samantha and Gabrielle; Calvin was a cute guy I went to an afterschool program with and the only one I knew so I thought that was cool, Gabrielle was after my best friend Gary, whom I nicknamed Gabby, and Samantha had a nice sound and I didn’t know of anyone by that name. I’m still very proud of this trip-set :).

knitfrog Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I still have my childhood dolls they are 25+ 30+ years old. Names are Sarah, Stacy and Katie. I love them.

LuMary Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I didn’t change names of my dolls, but gave them last names.

I invented names in grade school, and started alphabetizing and keeping lists of favorites. I also loved reading baby name books.

As an adult, I found out through Nameberry that some of my inventions were others’ creations, too.

Here are some of my creations I recall off-hand:

Lauranne
Robin Jay
Kasey Jay
Dera

lizzycsa Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I had waaay too many dolls.. That being said, they all had names I remembered and expected everyone else to remember too. :D
The older ones got named by my mom.. not very creative. (Susie, Steve,Judith and the like) When I got older names became a little more creative.(Marti, Lina, Sunshine and the list goes on..) The newest ones I have started a foreign trend (english isn’t my first language) Shelly, Annabel.. So looking at any of my dolls’ names you can tell what era they come from. As for the why.. no idea. It just happened this way.

flowercait Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 12:39 pm

My dolls didn’t have names … I never even thought about naming them and I only just realised this the other day. I’m pretty sure I just called them baby or dolly, no real names.

iolite Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:08 pm

My most favourite beanie baby was called Chipper and I took him everywhere with me. I didn’t really have doll, but I gave my teddy bears some quite interesting names, like Belle, Ossy, Lyra, Wilfrid, Fern, Bruno and Hedy. I guess I’ve always really loved names.

LuMary Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

LuMary Says:
March 5th, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I didn’t change names of my dolls, but gave them last names.

Here are some of my creations I recall off-hand:

Meridrey
Lauranne
Robin Jay
Kasey Jay
Dera

Others I remember inventing:

Liberty (with Belle as a middle)
Patriot
Angel Dawn (a contraction of angel of the dawn, inspired by the song, “Angel of the Morning”)

ekibbe Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

My mom named my first dolls since I got them when I was really little. My favorite was Susie, then there was Pauline, Lulu, Jocelyn, and Sally. I had a doll I bought later that I named Timothy.

csd267 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I loved boy baby dolls (they hardly make them anymore) and I named mine Luke. As an adult, I don’t really care for this name.

Danica Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:21 pm

As a young child I always gave my dolls boy names. I have no idea why.
The was a baby looking doll named Benjamin – a name I am still in love with.
A toddler looking doll named Kenneth – probably inspired by the son of a friend of a friend of my mothers… Don’t care for that name at all.
Then there was a bunch of dolls I can’t remember the names of.
My first real boy-doll was named Kim (a boy name around here). Far from a favorite now as well.

ejs82 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:26 pm

My three year old named her favorite baby doll Rhoda. I have no idea where she picked this name up (maybe watching Mary Tyler Moore re-runs behind my back?), but I’m super amused by it.

ho_hey Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:38 pm

I wasn’t a very imaginative child, I used to read school books at the age of five. Though I had some stuffed toys and some dolls. I had twin dolls called Sasha and Bombasha. Two more Barbies called Jasmina and Josephina. A paper doll named Nicole. A man doll – Ken. My stuffed bear was called Bearie \sounds like Berry\. I had a stuffed mouse – Mike. I remember my stuffed pear – Peary, my stuffed cat – Kat and my little stuffed duckling – Daph.

brynnash Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I was a doll fanatic when I was little! I had a ton of Barbies, baby dolls, and American Girl dolls. Their names as I remember them:

Barbies –> As a kid, I didn’t realize that “Barbie” was actually the name of the doll, so all my Barbies had different names, while most of my other Barbie-type dolls that came with the names stayed those names (Kira, Kelly, Stacie, Midge, etc.). I do remember having a Barbie doll that I named Emily, and a Ken doll that I named Steve (after DJ’s boyfriend in Full House, haha).

Baby dolls –> I had TONS of baby dolls, and I loved naming them. My all-time favorite baby doll was a boy who I named Joseph – he came in a really cute sweatsuit with red sneakers :) Other dolls I had were named Elizabeth, Amy, Alyssa, Lisa, Blair, Jessica (my Bitty Baby), Sarah and Sally (my Baby Beans dolls), and Alicia. I also had a few Cabbage Patch dolls who I always called by their names on the birth certificate: Stacy Arlene and Aurora Kim.

American Girl dolls –> These were my favorites growing up and I owned almost all of them: Molly, Kirsten, Addy, Felicity, Samantha, Josefina, Kit…and I had a “create your own” that I called Kylie.

gipro2003 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

My first doll was a boy doll named Wesley. I tried to convince my parents to name every single one of my siblings Wesley, with no luck! I also had a Karin (named after my grandma—it’s also now my daughter’s name!!), Hildegarde (named after my other grandma), and Chessi (I think it was on the box). My sister and I shared a dollhouse, but since we were 4 years apart, the only way she could convince me to play was if I was allowed to name all the plastic dollhouse people. We had twins Jerry and Jeremy, a Lauren, a Madeleine (named after the children’s book character, she seemed very French the way she was dressed and especially compared to the other figrues.), and so many more but I can’t remember the rest.

In comparison, my sister wanted to name all of her dolls after me (Giulia) but I refused! So the majority of her dolls were named Julie. Although I remember a Tally as well.

Brynie Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

As soon as I could speak I named my baby doll Baby B. I think I named her this because my own name started with a b and that was the extent of my vocabulary or perhaps because I was a bit bias and I liked my own initial. I also had another baby doll (the type that closes her eyes when she is lay down) my great grandmother gave her to me and had even knitted her really pretty lacy clothes. I called her Lily because I thought it was such a beautiful name. Funny story though, my Aunty was pregnant and I remember the family and I going to a cafe and my Aunty asked us to write down a name that we suggest for the new baby. I had brought my baby doll Lily with me and I wrote the name Lily on the paper. A few months later I had a new cousin named Lily!

Chloe14 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I’m only a teenager so I still have all my dolls and stuffed animals.

All these dolls look like real babies and are off an expensive website I gave them first and second names:
Jamie Tony
Martha Viola
Summer May
Carol-Anne
Hannah Winifred

I have three favourite stuffed animals their names are:
Hedgy
Larry
Bobby

And I have lots more dolls and stuffed animals but their name changes all the time. So I couldn’t tell you their name.

Corylynn86 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Meagen – A red-headed doll I had when I was very young. No idea why I named her that.

Matthew – a cabbage patch doll I named after a crush

Victoria – not a doll, but was always the name of girl characters in stories I would write. My neighbors had a daughter named Victoria when I was little and I loved the name.

Violet – the name of my favorite character in the Boxcar children books. Not one specific doll, but it was a name I used a lot.

Shannon – made my own doll at the Germany pavilion at EPCOT and I liked the name at the time because I was learning a lot about my Irish heritage. I had the idea that liked it spelled in Gaelic, even though I had no idea how to spell it in Gaelic.

Samantha – I had the American Girl Samantha doll and I kept her name the same. I am still not over the fact that they “retired” all the historical dolls from my youth.

Mandypandy Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 4:25 pm

This is such a fun topic!

I had two favorite cabbage patch dolls named Leonard Michael and Diane. I kept the names on their births certificate!

My grey pound puppy was named Lani. :)

miss_sam Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

I had SO many toys growing up, mainly stuffed animals but the only toy to get a name was a Lil Make-a-Face doll that I called Lexi.

I feel sad I never named my toys… maybe that’s why I’m struggling to create a name list for my bub…. lol

emarias22 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I was a little bit of a stuffed animal/doll hoarder as a child (heck, I still have them, so not much has changed). Everybody had a name, and when I ran out of “animate” toys to name, I named my imaginary friends. My two American Girl Dolls were named Madelyn and Quinn. I have two more baby dolls named Flower and Joseph. I have a teddy bear named Sadie, and two stuffed dogs named Taffy and Jewel. I had imaginary friends named Emma, Sabrina, Bartholomew, Christopher, and Jimmy. That’s just a handful.

saraallison Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Some I remember (I was a child in the 80s, FYI):
Cindy–thought it was SO beautiful–glad I moved on, ha!
Bridget–still like it a lot!
Sara–pronounced the Spanish way (prn the American way, is my name)
Shara–I might have liked the sound of my own name a little :)
Angel
Eenawa–this was actually an attempt at calling a doll Thumbelina, but it stuck
Francie–also still like a lot!
Fun post!!

ssister Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I loved my Barbie dolls! I always gave them different names every time my sister and I played Barbie’s. Barbie was usually renamed either Jennifer, Kimberly, Elizabeth or Michelle. Skipper was usually Sarah, Bonnie, Maddie or Connie. Their friends, Maxie and Francie and were so cool! Always going to the beach…lol. The friend dolls always had TV Star names like Lindsay, Kristen, Carley, Paris or Brittany. We also had Ken….he was always just Ken. My mother sent away for a “Little Debbie” doll for me when I was about 10. I named her Sheherizade. She was very mysterious, had a beautiful gown with a silk veil and her eyes opened & closed. She was my favorite doll. My favorite stuffed animal was a little dog with floppy ears named Blue. (not Blues Clues but similar) I also would Make dolls from socks, chestnuts, lucky stones, pipe cleaners or old fabric scraps & sew on their faces with yarn & buttons. Their names were stitched on their feet. I wish that I would have kept some of those homemade dolls. If nothing more, just for a good laugh. :)

VeritySilver Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I have soo many! I love naming things
Dolls:

Rochelle-raccoon
Cloud-rattle snake
Apple Blossom-leopard
Bauer-really old dog
Vashti-cat
Sarah-squirrel
That’s all I can think of

Plum4 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I love this question. I had many baby dolls but I only ever named my favorite one. I named her Ramona after my grandmother. I am still hoping to use Ramona for a daughter someday. My sister named her favorite doll Laura which was also the name of one of our aunts.

sickwithsin Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 6:43 pm

The only dolls that I remember naming are my Magic Nursery dolls. Three of them: Amanda, Holly (she had a cute Christmas themed outfit) and Amber.

Barbie was always just Barbie, and I had too many stuffed animals to name any of them.

littleredone Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I remember having a doll called Henrietta (I think I named her this) who I called Hetty Spaghetti.

I had three ‘real life’ baby dolls who I called Luke, Sophie and Jack. Luke and Sophie I thought of myself, Jack is my brothers name.

I had three bear factory bears called Poppy, Joshua and Kiwi (who was originally supposed to be called Alex, but I went a bit off track with her name in the shop).

littleredone Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

littleredone Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Erin91 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I collected Beanie Babies when I was little and when the Beanie Kids came out I HAD to get some. I had 3 of the girl Beanie Kids and 2 boy Beanie Kids. One was a red headed girl I called Alana (my favorite name at the time) another was an African American girl I called Jocelyn and the last one was a black haired girl I called Lacienaga ( La-see-en-nuh-guh. A character from the cartoon the Proud Family). Lol! I think I just liked saying Lacienaga, so I called her that. Haha. The boys I believe I called Alex (Blonde Beanie Kid. After a kid I had a crush on who was also blonde) and Jason (brown hair. Jason was my favorite boys name at the time)

I also had twin baby dolls that I, at first, called Nicki and Alex after the twins on Full House (but these twins were girls). Then I changed their names to Shannon and Shayla. Sometimes I pretended like they were the same baby (one was asleep and one was awake) and I always used Shannon as the name.

AnotherJessicaAnn Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

My stuffed rabbit was Flower, my teddy bear was Fuzzy, and unfortunately, my doll’s name was Hessica.

LorenK Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Oh my. I am very, very ashamed about this, but my four favorite dolls were named (I kid you not) Hailey Maddison, Cailey Addison, Hallie Madeline, and Callie Adeline. And I thought I was so clever and origional.

FruitfulVineWife Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:49 pm

My sister and I were actually both given middle names that had been names of my mom’s dolls when she was young – Rebekah and Rosemary. :) I ended up reusing Rosemary on my own first daughter, as a first name.
My own first dolls were Anna Mae and Hoppy Theresa. I also had a dresser doll named Amadona (something I got from Wonder Woman reruns). I also had a Betsy and a Fran, and a teddy bear named Bridgette Beardot.
My little Rosey named her first baby doll (all dressed in pink and flowers) Bill. She also named a stuffed butterfly Harold. :)

Jennai Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I only ever had one doll. Really just one doll. I had her when I was two years old and I had named her Bonnie. No idea why.

bowtiful Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Hmm…the only ones I can remember are three different boy dolls I had who were called Brandon, Dawson, and Eli. And for the cabbage patch baby that already came with a name: Jayce Draven *shudders*

bowtiful Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

bowtiful Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

DotDraper Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:27 pm

I was not good to my dolls– they kept whatever names they had when they arrived. My poor mom fought for a cabbage patch named Shanna Lori who was acknowledged briefly that Christmas, and my American Girls Samantha and Molly were seated on my dresser but rarely moved. Who knows how many others passed through without names! I did bother to name one doll Amalthea so I MUST have loved her. On the other hand, my favorite were named Simon, Bruce, and Henrietta.

ediebird Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I had my first baby doll who I named Isabella Lyla (Lyla being my middle name), even though I used to rename her all the time, I always came back to Isabella. I had a dolly with long curly blond hair in red ribbons, who I named Ruby Miriam after my aunt Ruby and Miriam because of a little girl who was baptized at my church. I also had a pink bunny stuffed animal who was a rosy pink colour, so I thought that Rosie was the perfect name :). My favourite Barbies I had were named Charlotte (Lola) Rebecca and Violet Lilo (after the daughter from the Incredibles and Lilo from Lilo and Stitch).

arunciblespoon Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 8:49 pm

A cat called Daisy, a china doll called Alice and a beloved rabbit called Mrs Rabbit.

ashleydawn246 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 9:16 pm

My absolute favorite doll was a red haired boy Cabbage Patch doll named Amos Obidiah.

lawsonhaley Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I had/have 3 baby dolls – Annabel, Chelsea & Vanessa (Vanessa’s name was the first time I actually did internet research on a name – I was 9.)
One American Girl doll – Julie

I don’t remember all my barbies’ names (I have well over 100 haha, I kept them all), but these are some I know I used:

Kelly
Melody
Sophia
Ella
Emma
Emily
Lucy
Kaitlyn
Aspen
Savannah
Rhiannon
Elise
Genevieve (came with the name)
Clara
Jenna

Ryan
Kendall (yes, Kendall the Ken doll ;) )
Troy
Stefan (he came with this name)
Joseph/Joe (also came with the name)
Landon
Thomas

karateleshi80 Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I can’t remember even though I had more than one toy, how bad is my memory? :)
The only one I remember is Klara (yes with a k) :) a hybrid cabbage patch kid/teddy looking doll.

NameLovingWriter Says:

March 5th, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I don’t remember naming dolls but I do remember having two imaginary friends for years when I was little named Kara and Lucy.

chi1127 Says:

March 6th, 2014 at 12:39 am

The names I can remember for my dolls were: Elizabeth, Holly, Rosie. But I named them before I even knew many names. I always changed my Barbies names depending on the scenario. I had names for all my ponies, too, but I only remember Cherry and Dropping Flowers; I named them based on their appearance. And my stuffed animals all had names (Ralph, Glenna, Forester, Cuetoy, Val, Buttermilk, …).

KirstGee Says:

March 6th, 2014 at 6:49 am

I dont know about dolls but I must have been a bit of a boss because I got away with naming all our family pets… im still quite impressed with choices today. Cats: Ebony Opal and Sahlem Boris (yes I gave them middles) Chickens: Cordelia, Skye Night and Spearmint. Duck: Blossom. Mice: Anastasia, Marigold, Xanthe and Sorcha. Dog: Pollyanna

No idea how I got away naming them all as I have three sisters but I am the oldest so I guess what I said went. That or my names were just awesome! My mum had an old baby name book and I would read it cover to cover looking at names. Must have been the start of my name obsession.

Myrtle_The_Turtle Says:

March 6th, 2014 at 2:04 pm

As a very small child I had 2 baby dolls both of which I insisted on calling Lucy. In order to differentiate between them they were known as Big Lucy and Little Lucy.
One Christmas I received a new doll which I wanted to also call Lucy. My mother felt this was getting ridiculous so suggested Lucinda to which I reluctantly agreed. The subsequent Christmas I received another doll. Guess what I wanted to call it? We compromised with Lucille.

I don’t remember knowing anyone called Lucy nor why I may have been so obsessed with the name for so long. I don’t even particularly like it now. Children are peculiar. Or maybe it was just me.

Larkspur Says:

March 6th, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I was a child of the 80′ s and had way too many dolls and they all had names. My first and most favorite doll was Gilly ( with a hard G sound).
Sean Patrick & Lauren Anna – twin For Real babies
Bess Channing – My Child doll
Haley Nicole – My Child doll – I was obsessed with Haley Mills

My Ewok even had a name – Guy Andrew

A newborn baby we special ordered named Benjamin Seth.

My Grandmother recently found some of my old dolls and asked me if I remembered them. I said, ” oh, there’s Daphne, Ingrid, and Matthew.” She thought I was crazy.

At a birthday party I got two exercise barbies. The givers apologized profusely but I was delighted because they were now Twins! I named them Amy & Jamie.

Oh, and all of their last names were either Stamos ( from the show It’s Your Move. Befor Full House Days) or Anderson as in Richard Deam Anderson in mcGuyver!

opelle Says:

March 6th, 2014 at 9:12 pm

My first doll was named Happy Baby. After that I had Greta, Mariah and Louisa. I also had a collection of stuffed gorillas. Every single one was named Rosemary. That is until I got a silverback gorilla (male) who was obviously Rosemichael.

rook476 Says:

March 7th, 2014 at 11:29 am

I had one of those three-foot-high dolls with the blonde curls, and her name was Erma. I have no idea why. I don’t remember naming any other toys. My 2 year old daughter has several dolls, though, and she has herself named them Sara, Emily, and Laura. Sara is her name, Emily is the girl from Little Bear, and Laura is Laura Ingalls. We also have a stuffed hedgehog that she named Merriweather, presumably after the fairy in Sleeping Beauty.

saraallison Says:

March 7th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

@opelle: Rosemichael is hilarious! And Rosemary is one of my fave names (also my fave aunt’s name)!

Doctorjones89 Says:

March 7th, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Such a neat question! Kailyn was a favorite for my barbies. I had baby dolls named Bethany and Kilmeny. Don’t remember where I got Kilmeny from. When I was a bit older I saved up my birthday money to buy a collector baby doll that I named Adrienne Dora, after my grandmother Josephine Dora.

evelulla Says:

March 8th, 2014 at 5:28 am

Wow! Amazing question!!!!!!
My first doll was Daisy (my best friend’s name now!) but she got ruined on a holiday to Spain, by getting sand in her eyes, nose and mouth.
I had lots of dolls named Emily and Madeleine. My favourite barbie was Summer and I remember another one called Francesca as well. My grandma used to buy me beautiful porcelain dolls – Rosie (after my great grandma Rosina), Elizabeth nn. Bess (a puritan doll), Henrietta Susannah (a name combo frequently used in my family history) and Mahala (a name I picked out from my family tree.

SarahKathryn Says:

March 8th, 2014 at 6:47 am

I wasn’t very creative when naming my dolls I don’t think, I mean I was the girl that named her Baby Annabelle doll “Annabelle”. My first doll had very masculine features so obviously I had to name the little girl “Boy”. I had another who I named “Magala” – I have no idea how I thought up that. Others included Lilly, Robby, Roxanne (nn Roxy), Rosie, Alice and my beloved Green Rabby – the not-so-obvious green rabbit, haha.

There was one time when we were going on holiday and driving a good couple hundred miles to get there and I’d packed every item of Baby Annabelle merchandise I owned into the car. Every clothing item, the suitcase, the two buggys, the high hair, the bouncer, cot and even wardrobe but we got halfway there and I realised I’d packed everything EXCEPT my Baby Annabelle. Fair to say my dad wasn’t very impressed! We has to stop off at the next service station to pop into Tesco and buy a brand new one. It worked out well for me though, I got the latest Baby Annabelle doll, she cried real tears and everything! Anyway, for obvious reasons I couldn’t name her Annabelle, so Annabelle’s new sister became Amelie. Ever since, I’ve adored Annabelle and Amelie together.

I remember the last doll I ever bought was a reborn doll. I didn’t buy one that already came with a name because I knew I’d have the urge to keep that name, as much I hated it or not. I thought for weeks on what to call her, I searched every baby naming website at the age of 12 to find the PERFECT name for her. It’s not a name I would use on my child but I called her Gracie-Ellen.

And of course I had TONS of Barbie dolls, each one that came with a name I kept, and I named all the others myself. I can’t remember any of them though! Same with the Bratz dolls, I kept all the names they came with. My favourite was Megan but Chloe, Yasmin, Sasha, Jade, Kendall and Mariah were pretty close – and I didn’t really like anyof their names! (Bare in mind, even if I hated the name I would without a doubt keep it!)

Pam Says:

March 8th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Sarah, that is hilarious! It’s like something from a movie.

Evelulla, I am very impressed with the creativity and sophistication of your dolls’ names!

SadieJosephine Says:

March 8th, 2014 at 11:22 am

I only had/have one doll that I can remember naming and not being able to live without. She was from a really close friend of my dad’s who passed away a long time ago. Her name is Inga, and I don’t remember why I called her that. :)

KRS1970 Says:

March 8th, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I (still) have the first doll I ever got…her name is Maggie. Not sure where it came from and I don’t even know if I chose it or my mom. :-D

amac119 Says:

March 9th, 2014 at 5:57 am

I renamed my cabbage patch doll Natalie-ann and Steven. No idea where Natalie-ann came from. Steven was a family friend. I had a “my child” I called Marissa, everyone wondered where I got that from as my mum had never heard it abs thought I made it up because my best friends “my child” was Melissa. I was surprised years later when there was a character on the OC called Marissa.

My daughter’s name is Isla, when she was little she named her favorite doll “isla baby” when she had a little brother she named another doll after him. She has many dolls with many funny names “eladarine” barbie called “Annmarie”

obessedwithshakespeare Says:

March 9th, 2014 at 6:15 am

When I was little I used to constantly read and reread a series of books called the Mismantle Chronicles about this kingdom that was ruled by squirrels and otters and badgers (but the badgers were the baddies) so I ended up calling all my teddies and stuffed animals after characters from that.
There was Crispin, Cedar, Urchin, Juniper, Padra, Arran, Sepia, Needle, Fir and Lugg.

Feeshy Says:

March 9th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

When I was really little (As in under 5) I named by stuffed animals really obvious things. Kitten for a cat, Cat for a cat, etc. I also decided to name most of my dolls Sara. Later on, I started with not-as-obvious names; Moss for a green-and-blue stingray, Shine for a dolphin, Fruit for a cat. There was also Stripeback and Cetus. However, there was also Mola, who was an Ocean sunfish or Mola Mola. There were also a few that didn’t get any names at all.

Anaxandra Says:

March 10th, 2014 at 10:10 am

I’m probably an oddity for a name freak but I don’t even remember naming my dolls. If they came with names, as they usually did, then I accepted that but I don’t think I referred to them by name much even. Of course, I was not big into dolls or Barbies anyway. I preferred my dollhouse or cutting out catalog pictures and playing paper doll school. I think the paper dolls had names but they would be different each day. Even to this day I find naming inanimate objects kind of weird. But obviously, everyone else seems to do it.

unicornluvgirl Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 4:36 pm

My American Girl dolls are: Nina, a look alike doll, Midori, another look alike doll who looks nothing like me, who I think was named after a book character and Julie, who kept her name, although, I sometimes want to change it.

junebabie Says:

March 25th, 2014 at 12:45 am

I always loved naming all my dolls and stuffed animals. I put a lot of thought into it! haha

animals were given uber-cutesy names; I had a black and white puppy named Banana, a pony named Whisper, a polar bear named Flurry…I had a bunny that I couldn’t sleep without when I was little that I called “Nanny.” nobody knows why. (where I’m from Nanny is what you call your grandmother.)

dolls were kind of all over the place… I used names from books, like Claudia from BSB, or names of girls on tv I thought were pretty, like Amanda. but sometimes I came up with random stuff, like I named a girl doll Devon, another one Marindy, another Caroline. other dolls I remember are Emily, Vicky, Melody, and Heather (I grew up in the 90s haha).

I used to have a lot of Barbie dolls when I was little, but as my sister got older she would accidentally tear the heads off them…

megane Says:

March 30th, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I had tons of Cabbage Patch kids when I was little. I had named them Sally, Emily, Lily, and Summer (my mom didn’t understand why I named them that, but oh well). I had about 7 dolls when I was younger named Hailey, Emily (again), Maliyea, Aaliyah, Alexis, Sarah, and Jackson. My Barbie dolls were almost always named Jezebel, Jonathan, Kennedy, Kaydin, Faith, Madeline, and Michael.