What Name Do You Love That Everyone Hates?

comments

123 Responses to “What Name Do You Love That Everyone Hates?”

DylanRhys Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:32 am

I love the names Gladys and Janice, but due to all the “old lady” comments, I could never work up the nerve to use either. Which is a shame, because I’d always thought they were spunky, smart sounding names and never thought of them as elderly. I loved all the fictional Gladyses and Janices I knew and they were all children. Could I use them? Should I?

juliet.a Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:43 am

I looove Imogene! It seems that everyone thinks it’s the lesser version of Imogen, but i think there’s so much charm and ease in Imogene :)

mellyn Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:32 am

I LOVE the name EDISON… but it seems most people first think of a Thomas Edison and crazy nerdy science stuff :( would love to use this name:
Edison Lucas
or
Edison Oliver
or
Edison James

Gwen5 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:40 am

Montana for a girl. I know a girl with this name, and I just think it’s adorable! But sadly, everyone I ask about this name doesn’t seem to like it as much or at all as I do.

AmelieAmour Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:05 am

I really love the name Marcel for a boy, unfortunately everyone who I have discussed the name with seems to think that it sounds to feminine to work here in the U.S. I still adore it though, but I will probably never use it.

cmarie1123 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:07 am

I like the name Evelyn. Most people don’t because they think it sounds old. I also love the name Colton but my family doesn’t.

ashleyr Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:25 am

I like the name Nixon.
I am not from the US and live on the opposite side of the world so i don’t have the negative connotations with the name, neither would my friends/family/larger community.

To me its a cool funky name for a boy, and i tend to think of it as a athlete type of name.

atlaskatarzyna Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:02 am

Hugo. I know it’s popular on here, but everyone I know in real life absolutely despises it.

LivyToo Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:18 am

Reinette. I get “But it’s not a REAL name!” all the time.

angiec8420 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:19 am

Zelda and Lilith for girls.
Shiloh for a boy.

shanbrownie Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:37 am

I adore Minnie. Despite knowing that I’d have to say, “Yes, like the mouse,” or “No, it’s not short for anything,” a million times, I just can’t get past my love for this sweet vintagey nickname-name.

TaylorBlueSkye Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:15 am

I like many american unisex names for girls. But here in Germany english / american names are very “teen mom”. I wish I could use them, but calling your child Taylor or Sawyer here is like Jaedynn or Kaileigh or whatever in the States.

oldsienna Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:48 am

Adamina. I’ve only ever come across one other person who didn’t outright hate it. Adamina’s a character in one of my favourite books and I absolutely love the name… but then again I seem to love most feminine versions of male names – Thomasina, Georgina, Henrietta, Harriet etc.

ninkynonk Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:14 am

Ursula – if we had had a girl instead of boy #3, she would have been Ursula. I find it elegant and utterly gorgeous.

Samantha-Bianca Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:20 am

I love the name Ursula. Most people on nameberry like it or at least get it. My Mum likes Gisele (pronounced the German way “Ghee-sa-la”).

AvieGrace Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:20 am

I also love some feminizations like Harriet. To most people my age, Harriet is an awful old lady name but to me, Harriet is a strong, sophisticated woman that could just as easily be a toddler, a doctor, a teacher, or in a nursing home. I think versatility is very important in a name.

arreisenlaluz9 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:12 am

I love Whittaker, called Whit, but no one else seems to. And some of the “old people”names I like get snubbed by family and friends: Vera, Vivienne, Walter. Then, this one is the bane of my existance: Auralee. I ADORE it… But unfortunately it sounds like “orally” and no one can get over it. :(

dayjoysky2815 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:50 am

So many names. Marcia (PN marsha) and Miriam are the firs that come to my mind. Miriam is well liked here on namberry but in ‘real life’ my friends always say things like “you think you are having kids in the 50′s don’t you?” But, I think, if I ever end up having another daughter these are two serious contenders. I think they are super cute, spunky, and intelligent sounding.

My family hates the name Rowena, although i don’t understand why. And Roger. They hate Roger. But I love Roger! Ugh.

Vanna, Thea, and Cara are all names my husband is iffy about but I absolutely love.
Ophelia is another name I like but most people think its “weird” in real life.

little_cupcake Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:54 am

Our future girls’ name is Octavia. Everyone except my husband and I hate it, or at least don’t like it. I constantly get told she will be teased (don’t see it myself) and that she’ll get called ‘Ocky’. What? A short form could be Tavia, Tavi, Avia, Avi, or Ava. Plenty of nickname options there. To me, Octavia is elegant, strong, beautiful, sophisticated and a bit mysterious.
Everyone had a strong opinion of my first son’s name, Felix, but I did not care and used it anyway. It fits him perfectly.

littlemissmariss Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:35 am

Its totally a guilty pleasure, but I think Tesla is kinda cute on a girl. I’d never use it in real life, but I think it’d be adorable. Both Tess and the ending -la are so feminine… I have no issues with the Nikola Tesla electricity guy association. Tesla has a spunky spark ;) Can’t say I’ve met ANYONE, online or in real life, who likes Tesla.

Most my names are not “out there”, but I know my SO hates quite a few of my names purely because their old fashioned. ie Harriet. I haven’t met a single person in real life that likes my poor little Harriet :’(

catloverd Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:36 am

Euphemia, a lot of people tell me it sounds like a disease….

LuzVictoria Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:42 am

Opal for a girl and Harvey for a boy. My whole family hates them both including my husband :(

ashthedreamer Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:43 am

Agnes! It’s received more love here, but outside Nameberry people look at me like I’ve grown a tenth head if I mention I love Agnes. :/ I just love it, though, and it has family significance, which makes me love it all the more. le sigh.

And Bailey for a boy! At least one person on most name forums can appreciate Bailey on a boy, but the people I tell in real life think I’m crazy, they say my son will hate me and he’ll be teased mercilessly and that he’ll change his name at the first chance he gets. But every family with a boy Bailey I’ve met has had absolutely zero problems with it, so I don’t know if that’d put me off from using it completely or not.

heathbar44 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:50 am

I love the name Jubilee. My husband thinks it is appropriate only when naming a horse.

BrittanyM Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:53 am

arreisenlaluz9, I have the same issue with Auralie. Maybe if I have a girl in France I can get away with it ;)

I adore the name Vesper. I just think is sounds so haunting and beautiful. And November – love!

For boys I really like Kit as a nn for Christopher (for some reason I really do not like Chris) but others think it’s too feminine.

Danni Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:25 am

I can’t get anyone in my family on board with Hermione. It makes me so sad :(

Luvsam17 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love the name Boone for a boy…my family thinks I’m nuts. I am also madly in love with the name Pacey or a boy (yes, like Dawson’s creek) and apparently it’s too feminine…ugh!

Starcatcher668 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:34 am

Bay . . . And Bellatrix :).

utopiapedia Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:36 am

I LOVE Alvin for a boy (nn Alvie). No one can get past the chipmunk reference (even in Germany, where we live), but I think it sounds vaguely french and I love it.

We’d probably use it despite the naysayers — except I hate the nicknames Al and Vinny and I can’t guarantee the kid wouldn’t be saddled with them (or choose them himself!) at some point….

neuilly Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:37 am

Byron. I think it’s strong, handsome, and yet still obviously has a poetic connotation. Everyone else seems to hate it.

UselessKitty Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:45 am

I love this topic!

I am still loving Rowan on a girl, even though most people seem to think it is too masculine!

linelei Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:47 am

Prudence. I know it’s clunky and has Puritan connotations. But I love it anyway! I think it’s because of the adorable nickname option of Prue.

Actually, the majority of my top choices are disliked on Nameberry. Which is why I don’t discuss them on the boards anymore. I think if a name has personal and deep meaning to you, that trumps every other consideration. For example, no matter what, my future son will be named Salem. I love everything about that name: it means peace, it provides a connection to a huge part of the world, and most importantly it is in honor of my grandmother, who was born in Salem, Oregon. Tell me about Salem’s Lot and the witch trials all you want. I’m not going to change my mind! :)

Also want to say that I love many of the names mentioned here (Edison, Rowena, Tesla, Adamina, Hermione, Octavia, Vesper, etc.). Why can’t the world see we have awesome taste?! ;)

linelei Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:53 am

@Uselesskitty: I know a girl named Rowan! She is a spunky and enthusiastic child and it is a perfect fit for her.

ClaireElise Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:57 am

It’s a shame that everyone doesn’t have such eclectic and well-informed Name Berry taste.

While most people here can see Beatrice or Cordelia on a baby, most people I encounter deem them “old lady names”. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg!

Jennie Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 10:04 am

I really, really love the name Bertram. And even on nameberry, it doesn’t get much love. If I could get my husband on board, I would use it in a heartbeat and not care what anyone else said.

nikkiolle Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 10:13 am

Ichabod. I love this name, its clunky, uncommon and most people think of Sleepy Hallow, but I love it because of inspite of all these

dovah Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 10:31 am

Percy for a girl.

Blythe for a boy.

ariesgirl Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 10:33 am

Seymour…people really dislike as they think it will lead to massive teasing…

shieldsc Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 10:40 am

@little cupcake — I love Octavia!

erin13 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 11:05 am

Eulalia. It seems to have a split audience on here but in real life the general reaction is people staring at me as if I’ve sprouted another head when I mention it. I think it sounds elegant and sophisticated and just a little bit spunky, but I don’t think I could ever use it :(

I also love Auden (‘too trendy’), Milo (I know he gets a lot of love on here too but to everyone I know in real life it’s apparently a dogs’ name) Kai (considered a more low-class name in England…but he’s so beautiful and exotic sounding) :( and Emrys (too feminine-sounding, apparently)

@angiec8420: I love Shiloh for a boy! I also have a huge soft spot for Hugo and Edison.

alzora Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 11:06 am

Ebenezer! Why do all my friends and family give me that crazy look when I mention it?! It’s SO colonial-American and Charles Dickens-ish!

alzora Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 11:27 am

…also, as an aside, the picture accompanying this blog post really freaks me out.

Mandaleigh Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 11:31 am

We were planning on naming our future daughter October but most people were not to fond of it.

brynnash Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I adore Savannah nn Savvy for a girl. I think it is spunky and fun, unique but not weird. I get a ton of weird responses when I suggest it. I could never use it in real life, though, because my spouse hates it, and it doesn’t go with the other names we’ve picked out for our children (Caroline, Genevieve, Desmond, and Harrison/Elliot).

dieselsmomma Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I love evangeline but no one else does. My mom says it sounds like a reigion. My husband nixed the syllable dre so that took out draven and alizandre which I love. But hey, at first people weren’t sure about diesel and I won that battle so we shall see….I think my next battle might be for indigo for a girl! ;)

JazminLilly Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I really love Amaryllis, but everyone thinks it’s much too long and fluffy! I don’t! I think it’s beautiful, feminine and elegant! It looks lovely on paper, has a soft ring, and provides a variety of nicknames should it come to that! Though, if my future hubby ever consents, I will strive to introduce her as Amaryllis and NOT as Amy or Rilly, or Amsie or Lissy!

dieselsmomma Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Hubs nixed all the ‘old lady names’ too….ruby, pearl, mabel….but I put up a fight for lucille as a middle name! I <3 it! And compramised bc he loves louise as a middle name. If you truly love a name I say go for it! I did that with Diesel and we get loads of compliments on his name! But I put up a fight and fought tooth and nail for that name. If you love it….its worth it!

ScarlettRobin Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Ethel, I love that name but if I mention it I get an extremely negative reaction because people seem to be able to only envision an old lady with that name so they scrunch their noses. Whereas I picture the cute little blonde girl with curls I once met with that name, w/ the nn “Etsy’. But then again, I got some similar reactions when I told people I was planning on naming my daughter Ruth, but now I get lots of compliments on the name. It may just be that people have a hard time picturing these names on kids.

sleeping_beauty Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I can write out a long list, but the main one for me is Ophelia.

HerMajesty Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I have always planned to use Percy Eugene and Drucilla Selene, but everyone that I tell makes fun of them. eg.
Eugene is too old and sounds like a creeper.
Drucilla sounds like a vampire.
Selene? Oh honey, whats wrong with Salina?
Percy is too close to purse!
But I don’t care. I am going to use them anyway.

tifberry Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I love Briseis, Prudence, Gertrude. I used to like Ishmael and Teagan for a boy but tastes change.

Thuja Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 12:48 pm

There are lots! But keeping it to one for each:
Donatella for a girl, Zebulun for a boy.

augusta_lee Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Waldo. Oh, how I love Waldo. It’s spunky, quirky, and totally handsome. Unfortunately, whenever I mention it people look at me like I have three heads — even on Nameberry. Sigh.

susan.n Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Olive and Lux! I feel with all of the celebrity exposure and people wanting an alternative for Olivia Olive is more likeable but I still get the ” Why not use Olivia/Olive Oyl/olive oil/ugly color/food” responses.

I also adore Lux but it’s seen as trashy.

augusta_lee Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Oh, and I also love Erasmus, Merlin, Darwin, Zephyr and Marlowe for boys, all of which have gotten negative feedback (when did Marlowe become a girls’ name?!). My taste in boys’ names is definitely more daring than my top 10 for girls.

littlebrownpony Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I adore Althea, like the Grateful Dead song.

starophie Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:34 pm

i love all the names mentioned in the comments – even ones i never thought i would, like bertram and waldo! susan.n, i adore lux. that was the name of the main character on a beautifully-written and sadly short-lived tv show i loved, and ever since then it’s held a piece of my heart. i don’t think it’s trashy at all! especially when combined with a feminine/classic middle. GORGeous.

MaryKathryn Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I really love the name Fox for a boy… I might use it as a first name or a middle name, but I just love it!

I sort of like the name Paprika for a little girl. It’s really strange, but I grew up watching Blues Clues and Mrs. Salt and Mr. Pepper had a baby named Paprika and I loved it. I think it’s so different and cute! hehe

Mara_lyn86 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Vintage names- these are viewed as being too try hard by a lot of people.

Wednesday for a girl, month names, virtue names and religious names. There are quite a few names.

WrenMaple Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Haha love this post. I love Linus. It depends who I talk to. My mon is always fully suportive of any name I choose, but my mother in law thinks anything that is not mainstream is sooo odd and weird!!

But I have to add, the first picture was hilarious! I laughed so hard. Why did you change it?

ConsultantMeghan Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:06 pm

ashleyr, I completely agree… I love Nixon but can’t use it because I’m afraid of what others would say about it… I wouldn’t want my kid to have a name with such negative connotations, seeing that I live in the U.S.

I also love Carmen… but everyone points out that it’s “car men” which isn’t very feminine at all. Plus, I’m not Spanish, so I don’t have an excuse for wanting to use the name.

joel613 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Obadiah has always been a name that I’ve found wonderfully odd but alluring. Abner, Muriel, Elloa (a family name)and Nehemiah are also names that I love that when I mention them I get the “really” look.
Ada, Naomi and Silas used to get the same reaction but the pendulum has swung in the other direction for them, especially Naomi, and they get a positive response now.

Gzizzo Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I also love Agnes pronounced the French way (Ann-yes)….. But the English pronunciation is terrible :( same thing with Blanche….. It’s so pretty in French (blahn-sh) and is my great grandmother’s name but again the English version kills it :(

DracoDrake Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I like Agnes, Bluebell, Blossom, Solomon(Sol), Jerusalem(nn Salem), Moses, Emerald (for a boy..I have a lot of ‘odd’ names. My mother thought I was nuts for naming our now 2 year old Felix. I still don’t know if she likes it now, or doesn’t even think about it b/c she loves the baby. She tried getting my cousin to convince me to change it. She even texted our entire family & friends while I was giving birth & told them I’d named the baby Solomon! I was getting phone calls & cards for baby Solomon for a week or two. :(

PinkPenguin87 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Astrid! I love this name, but anytime I’ve suggested it, all I get are “BOO!!” I’ve been told it sounds too close to the dog from The Jetson (Astro) and that the only nickname would be Assie, which is horrible. I say why does a kid NEED a nickname?

Lo Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:06 pm

neuilly – how can anyone not love Byron?

mimimommy Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I love Kiplin. Nickname Kip. Love it. Nobody else can get past the association with Napoleon Dynamite’s brother.

karianne Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I LOVE the name Ulric. I have 4 boys and I am pregnant with Baby #5 (probably a boy, too). I’ve tried to use Ulric with the last 2, and it has been shot down by every single person I’ve mentioned it to :(

karianne Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I also love the name Holliday for a girl, but everyone else hates it.

MeleriHaf Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love Aubrey for a boy. It’s always seemed noble and strong, yet gentle and kind at the same time. But Aubrey is waaaay too entrenched in the girls’ camp now. Sad days.

GrecianErn Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Gage… I love Gage. I like for a FN or a MN. It’s been a secret love of mine, and when I quietly asked my sister what she thought, her first response was exactly the reason I was afraid of:

“You mean that creepy dead baby from the first Pet Semetary that went on to be on Kindergarten Cop and Full House? Eew. Don’t do that.”

My brother always associates Gage with that movie too. But I love it… Gage Nathaniel or Dashiel Gage or Sebastian Gage.

My girl name is loved by only a few: Penelope hasn’t hit the Midwest yet.

Aurra Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:36 pm

@ MeleriHaf, have you considered Auberon? I like it as an alternative, because if Aubrey wasn’t so feminized, I might be tempted to use it.

Addison, Aubrey and Avery on a boy. I won’t insult anyone’s name-intelligence by naming why.

I love Storm on a boy, too. It seems strong and has potential- except if it wasn’t seen as Stormi- a trashy, female cheerleader name. I might use it for a middle though.

I love Fable for a girl (nn Fay), but being a writer, that’s way too tacky.

Ever is also another one of my favorite names- and Everleigh, but that is seen as a trendy spelling.

Here are other names, that when I mention, get the ‘what are you thinking’?

Yuna- Very popular in Japan and one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters, but I get cringes when I brought it up)
Sierra- My mom is convinced that this is a dogs’ name.
Astrid- I can see the jokes flying: Butt-turd. I like the nickname Ash, though.
Aisling- Not an ounce of Irish blood in me, giving me no reason to choose this pronounciation troubled name.
Aeson- It is a Greek mythology name, with cool nn Ace and Asa, but people think it is made up.
Isabella- People say it is way too flowery, but so are Alexandra and Elizabeth. If it wasn’t for Twilight and the popularity, I’d use this.

OliviaSarah Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Everyone else on Nameberry hates it – but I secretly love Kennedy for a girl.

Aurra Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Oh, and Ezra for a girl. I adore it. I thought it was a girls’ name the first time I heard it- until I referred to the Biblical Ezra in church as a ‘she’. I get flamed for it if I mention I just can’t see it on a boy- I just don’t see any masculine quality on it. However, if a boy is named Ezra, I don’t complain, because it is, after all, a boys’ name.

Frankie Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Huckleberry. I will never get my way with that one, which is probably a good thing.

My favorites that get the worst feedback from family and friends are Poet, Zenovie, Ottoline, Archimedes, Jupiter, Ozias, and Valentine. So pretty much my entire short list. Not to mention my love of long names – as in two to three middles – attracts many eye rolls and how-could-you-do-that-to-your-children?’s from them.

sarah1919 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Sanna (pronounced Sah-nuh). Everyone tells me they think of a sauna (which, by the way, is technically pronounced saw-nuh or sow-nuh) or that they would pronounce it like Hannah or Anna.

I think Sanna is simple, lovely and fresh, but I seem to be the only one who feels this way about this neglected Scandinavian name!

jpruitt76 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 6:35 pm

The first one that comes to mind is Sybil. I have a great connotation due to my late great-aunt. And I think the nickname Sybi is darling. I also love Harry and Rufus (my two grandfathers’ names). Rufus especially gets poor feedback most of the time (my husband was like, “we are NOT naming our child a name that will get him called Rufus the Dufus.” Sigh.

nykinau Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I really loved Frederick if I had a boy–after my dad, Fred. But of course everyone said it sounded dated or “old”. I had a girl so it wasn’t used (we named her Lillian; which is equally classic) but Frederick is still at the top of my list!

KickinKay Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I absolutely love the name Sora and would definitely name my daughter that, no one seems to like it. Everyone has that it sounds odd and quirky.

little_cupcake Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:31 pm

@Frankie : My youngest son’s middle name is Huckleberry :)

niteowl13 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:38 pm

My husband doesn’t like any of the names that I like. My style is vintage/medieval type names for girls. Jessamine, Morwen, Seren, Cambria – that sort of thing. Also, I LOVE Game of Thrones and the characters names. Hopefully, someday I will find at least one that my husband can live with.
PS – I am so happy to see that Berries like Aubrey and Bailey for a boy! Yay!

ThadsMom Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Davida. I love that you can get to “Vida” from it, and I also love Davis but I can’t use something that popular for a boy. Everyone I know looks at me like I’m crazy when I say it.

lolly1019 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I am going second what alzora said. I love Ebenezer! And everone thinks that name is way out there. :(

phanny3282 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Selma, Amity, Mercy and Winona for girls.

Walter and Roger for boys.

NellieDellie Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love the name Charity but if I ever bring it up all I get is ‘Charity Case”

anelson100 Says:

November 21st, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I love Clover, but it gets a lot of strange looks.

Namenutt Says:

November 22nd, 2012 at 12:15 am

There really are some beautiful names in the comments, I wish we all had the guts to use our great name-loves! I seem to have quite an eclectic taste in names as my list ranges from hippy, nature (perhaps a little dated) names to vintage to European Scandinavian & Greek, all of which have a few that get shot down. A name that I LOVE, but everyone hates is Skye, my all-time favourite name for a girl. People don’t seem to like it because it is sometimes considered to be rather low class &does not fit the more vintage trend going on now. Most of my other names on my long list do, but Skye is my oldest love, I have been to the ancient Scottish isle, & I intend to use it. I find the same with Tristan for a boy, but I only think of Tristan & Isolde. People outside nameberry & who are not naming any children right now are also not always ‘up-to-date’ with the vintage trend & so turn their noses up at names like Cordelia, Cecily, Harriet, Theodore etc. I really love a lot of ‘-ne/-e’ ending Greek names, but the response is often a look as though I’ve gone mad.

Heyheymse Says:

November 22nd, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I’m another big fan of Ebenezer! There are a bunch of Ebenezers in my very WASPy, New Englander family tree and I love the idea of the name. Plus it has the nickname Eben, which I think is really stylish.

I also love Obadiah, another classic biblical name, which was one of my favorite characters in a book I loved as a teenager.

peppersr Says:

November 22nd, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I absolutely adore the name Maisy.. and so does hubby! However, everyone else I’ve talked to hates it. They say it’s too much of a nickname and not a “proper” name.

skidbird Says:

November 22nd, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I too love the name ebeneezer! So strong, with great history and meaning. I fought hard for our little boy to have this as a middle name. Sadly I lost. Another name I love is Saul. People just look at me like I am crazy when I say that, my husband especially.

Namehunter77 Says:

November 23rd, 2012 at 5:17 am

To PinkPenguin87 – I went to school with a girl called Astrid. Her nickname was Asty. Very cool if you ask me! I love the name.

luvnina123 Says:

November 23rd, 2012 at 8:45 am

I really like the name Xiomara, but it’s really unpopular in the US.

CatieLynn Says:

November 23rd, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I love the name Izabella, and yes, I like it spelled with a Z. Even though Isabella is #2, and the Z will make for constant misspellings, I love the name!

Lea Says:

November 23rd, 2012 at 4:13 pm

No one really likes the place names. I love Egypt for a girl though I doubt I would use it considering I have no Egyptian roots! Ireland and Britton are also adorable to me :) I have gotten laughed at for loving Primrose! I live the nn Rosie but not rose, and the character Primrosr from the Hunger Games is a favorite!

BerryBry Says:

November 24th, 2012 at 3:57 am

Willoughby and Soren and Leonid for boys
Olwen and Damaris and Tatiana and Olga for girls

BerryBry Says:

November 24th, 2012 at 3:57 am

Willoughby and Soren and Leonid for boys
Olwen and Damaris and Tatiana and Olga for the girls!
Such a shame

wadgian Says:

November 24th, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I’m comforted knowing that other people like the name Ophelia. Whenever I suggest it people look at me like I have three heads, but I just loved the character from Pan’s Labyrinth. The other name I always thought would be awesome (this one for a boy) is Berlin. My husband vetoed it as soon as I got it out of my mouth and my mom thought I was crazy. I still think it’s funky, I always will.

walshe44 Says:

November 25th, 2012 at 1:07 am

Doris

rh1223 Says:

November 27th, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I love Amity, Lux, and Vesper especially but will prob never be brave enough to use them. Love love love, though!

MissusAytch Says:

November 27th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

So many names I love that a lot of people -especially my husband – hate. For girls: Atrella, Wednesday, Vesper, Salem, Ophelia. For boys: Isen, Kias, Jareth.

TabbySparks Says:

December 21st, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I secretly love Piper and Ophelia. I’ve never said anything about them though, because I know that reality-wise, they’ll get shot down in a heartbeat.
@Aurra
I know a girl named Sierra! She’s adorable, spunky, sporty, and she gives not a flying fig about what anyone thinks of her, which I think is an admirable trait in anybody, never mind an elementary-schooler. :)

Emmysweet Says:

December 25th, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Cary and Mackenzie for boys. Everyone says there way to girly and he’ll surely be teased!

stormygirl84 Says:

December 26th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I love Agnes, but whenever I mention it, most people say, “Why not Agatha instead?”

Not that I don’t like Agatha, too, but really – how is Agatha so much better than Agnes?

I also love Leopold, but most people think it’s too old-fashioned and stodgy.

nativoyoung Says:

January 3rd, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Bernice. I adore the name but nobody else does. Sniff, sniff.

(PS I was surprised to see Harriet in the comments so often. My daughter, Harriet, gets a lot of strange looks from the over 50 crowd, but the younger crowd seem to think it fits right in with the vintage name trend and barely raise an eyebrow.)

LyndyLou Says:

January 13th, 2013 at 7:39 am

Hadassah – my mum, sisters & I all love it after reading a book series The Mark of the Lion… We all so loved this main character. My husband hates it! It did take the book to make me love it though.

maria87 Says:

January 24th, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I love the name Paddington for a boy, esp as middle name. Everyone else seems to think it’s strange…

SummerK Says:

February 8th, 2013 at 9:13 am

Celandine, Rosier, Kingsley and Laurentina all for girls.

SummerK Says:

February 8th, 2013 at 9:15 am

Also a persistent love of the name Wren…

SammieBug Says:

March 15th, 2013 at 9:53 am

I really like the name Dakota with the nickname KoKo, but my MIL refused to have a granddaughter with the name Dakota.

tasia_janay23 Says:

October
Felix
Perseus

How I love them all…

mallowd Says:

May 8th, 2013 at 7:59 am

@Gwen5 I also know someone named Montana, I also know a Kansas:)

Rockabella2009 Says:

May 14th, 2013 at 9:47 am

Clementine

gailk Says:

May 19th, 2013 at 10:48 am

I absolutely love the names Winona and Zelda… No one else seems to though ;)

Anotherkate Says:

May 20th, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Lately I’ve been crushing on feminized names like thomasina, Henrietta, georgina and most recently, Geraldine. Funny because with the exception of Henry, I don’t particularly care for the male bases of those names! Gerald is my dad’s middle, and in a family overrun with men sharing his first name, it’d be a semi creative way to honor him… Though I haven’t even mentioned it aloud in fear of it being shot down!

haleydoodle1 Says:

May 29th, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I love the name Matilda but everyone thinks that it’s really ugly and old-fashioned. Same with Cora and Charlotte.

Silverkr200 Says:

May 30th, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I love Sophronia but everyone else thinks it sounds old. It reminds me a lot of the names such as Wilhelmina that sound like very extreme versions of another name in a feminine way. It also has a lot if really cool nicknames: Sophie, Sophia, Roni, etc.

cherrybombrox Says:

June 4th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I love the name Anchor. How it sounds and it’s got a good strong meaning. Unfortunately, it’s an uncommon word name and happens to rhyme with wanker and other not too great words (not good when the kid gets older). Nevertheless, I do still love it.

mallowd Says:

October 30th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I could say a few things about a lot of these name, but to @Aurra I LOVE Ever and Everleigh. I don’t see it as a “trendy” spelling though, because my middle name is Leigh.

ToNameAFlutist Says:

October 30th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Boy:

Cadmus (rarely used, seen as weird)
Steve (to some it sounds generic)
Ezekiel (associated with sprouted grain bread)
Solomon (great meaning, but Sol sounds like Saul)

Girl:

Iris (People make fun of rainbows)
Brielle (not as pretty as some people would like)
Minerva (sounds dark and mysterious)
Skylar (seen as a “trendy name”)

HopeC Says:

November 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 am

Miley, I just think it’s a cute name I’ve liked it for a while. Before there were the Hannah Montana ties and now Miley Cyrus is still very much in the media but that hasn’t changed how I view the name although it has for everyone else that I mention it too!

Bobbi Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I love Tabitha and Matilda for girls but hubby says no. Hoping to wear him down.
I love Byron, Darwin and Jasper for boys, my sister has informed me jasper is a cats name!

architeuthis Says:

January 5th, 2014 at 12:05 am

I had always wanted to name a girl Zillah, which is both biblical, and in my favorite Madeleine L’Engle book, but my husband hated it. He said Godzilla comparisons would be inevitable, so I removed it from the namelist for future children, and gave it to my cat.

We both like the names Wednesday and Octavian, though no one else seems to.