Name Days and New Names: Valor, Rigby, and Ripken

comments

24 Responses to “Name Days and New Names: Valor, Rigby, and Ripken”

theb4ndit Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 12:24 am

This is a really interesting post! I had never heard of name days before this. Now I have an excellent reason to celebrate April 11 (my name day along with 2 of my favorite names) without having to justify myself by saying, “Because I can!”

littlewren Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 12:44 am

Mine is June 15, apparently. Interesting.
Neither Birdie nor Wren is listed, though. Hm.
And my birthday is the name-day for Dan- names.

I quite like:
Isabelline – I might consider it more if Isabella wasn’t so darned popular, so I currently prefer Olivine and Crimson;
Rigby – Might like if not for the Regular Show association, I can’t stand that show;
Elm – quirky and interesting.

littlewren Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 12:49 am

I also just discovered that one of my best friends’ name days is his birthday. His sisters don’t have the same overlap, though. Wonder if it’s a coincidence..?

Abby Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 6:27 am

@littlewren – Maybe a coincidence. Our daughter’s ND is our anniversary, something I never knew until I wrote this post! On the other hand, my husband was born on March 17th, so his parents briefly considered naming him Patrick. (They went with Arthur instead.) But I can imagine parents stumped for a name looking at a saint’s calendar, especially Catholic parents.

And Olivine is gorgeous!

@theb4ndit – It is fun, isn’t it?

JenniferMendoza Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 7:38 am

thats great

waiting12 Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 10:32 am

Ha! this is awesome, my son noah’s name day is his actual birthday?! serioulsy what are the odds??

SaraKeiju Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 11:12 am

Mine is quite variable depending on location (Sara).

I know in Finland they often have two or three names sharing the same day, albeit they are almost always merely another version of the name. There are some exceptions, however, where the names are unrelated.

But then that seems like here, where names are *so* variable, it would get very out-of-hand. There aren’t enough days for each name! Haha maybe it could be divided up by year as well, i.e. your name day only happens once every four years. But I don’t think that would work very well.

I can attest to the fact that in other countries, name days are at least as special as birthdays. When I was in Slovenia, we were having lunch with some friends, and they were telling us how it was a special day for Arne, their son, because it was his name day. The day played out how you would expect it would on a child’s birthday. I thought it was a cool idea :)

iheartnames Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Love this post! I’ve always been fascinated with name days!

JH Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 12:22 pm

St. Leo’s feast day was yesterday and we missed it for our Leo! Bummer. His name day is April 11. Why wouldn’t they be the same? They are in other countries, I guess.

karacavazos Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the mention. Abby!! Isabelline is very pretty!

Kara @ The Art of Naming

Saracita00 Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Yikes, I must be out of touch. I thought Rigby was a cool Beatles nod…though considering the comeback they made in the early 2000’s, it still could be.

I happened to come across the concept of name days over the weekend — must have been something in the air! I come from a huge extended family. If we celebrated name days AND birthdays…we would never be done partying. Almost literally.

oboeplayer1 Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

According to the Name Day Calendar, I do not have a name day :(

Lo Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I grew up a Baltimore Oriole and Cal Ripken Jr fan so I thought it was pretty fun when Hap named his boy Ripken. I’ll also offer up September 6th as Ripken day. September 6, 1995 is when Ripken broke Lou Gehrig’s consecutive game streak.

Lo Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

We definitely celebrate name day’s in our family. A small present or special treat on the kids’ saint’s feast day.

EmmeT Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I have considered celebrating name day’s in our family. We have twin girls and I thought it might be a nice way to have an individual celebration for each child as they grow older.

lawsonhaley Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

My birthday is 25th October, but, according to the Name Day Calendar, my Name Day is 20th September. My sister is 30th January, her Name Day is 29th September. This is such an interesting and wonderful concept!

Abby Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 7:50 pm

@Lo – An excellent suggestion for Ripken!

@EmmeT – That is a really clever thought. Now that you say that, it could also work for kids who have a birthday on Christmas.

southern.maple Says:

November 11th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Ah, yes. Just what America needs. More commercialized holidays.

Alyssalorraine Says:

November 12th, 2013 at 12:12 am

My name day is September 6th, but my real birthday is February 17th.

JessicaT11 Says:

November 12th, 2013 at 12:47 pm

I just looked up our family’s name days and they are all remarkably close to our actual birthdays. Cool.

tori101 Says:

November 12th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Hmm…

There is a large Polish community in my country and I know for fact name day is almost bigger than most Polish people’s actual birthday’s! I love the concept of name day but I think it would be difficult to keep track of everyone’s birthdays and name days.

My favourites from the combinations are…
Julius
Oslo
Elm Elizabeth
Camber

: )

loislane1222 Says:

November 13th, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I learned of this while living for three months in the Czech Republic — it is extremely popular there.

sargie3 Says:

April 25th, 2014 at 10:40 pm

My birthday is my name day in Bulgaria. Or at least the closest Bulgarian name to Erin’s name day is my birthday…

» Name Days and New Names: Valor, Rigby, and Ripken Baby Name Suggestion Says:

September 7th, 2014 at 1:43 am

[…] Elm, Valor and Isabelline are some of the unique names in this week’s Nameberry 9–along with some of Abby Sandel’s thoughts on Name Days. Nameberry – Baby Name Blog » Baby name news […]