Valentine Names: Romancing the Name

comments

17 Responses to “Valentine Names: Romancing the Name”

Liz Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 4:05 am

Nice names, but who in their right mind would call their child “Schatzi” ?
“Schatz” means “treasure” in German and “Schatzi” is its belittlement.

Usually couples call each other that, but it always sounds childish between two adults, imho.

Valentina Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 8:28 am

I always am asked if I was born on Valentine’s Day, seeing as my name is Valentina. In reality, I was born 6 months later. XD
Wonderful and interesting as always.

Andrea Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 9:43 am

I actually know a teenage girl named Schatzi. I don’t know why the parents picked the name, but she’s a very accomplished young woman.

page Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 10:01 am

Schatzi is the name of Lauren Bacall’s character in the classic How to Marry a Millionaire. Could be a cute nickname?

Tweets that mention Valentine Names: Romancing the Name – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry — Topsy.com Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 10:04 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Pam & Linda, Pam & Linda. Pam & Linda said: Nameberry today:: Valentine Names: Romancing the Name http://nameberry.com/blog/valentine-names-romancing-the-name [...]

Lola Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 11:04 am

Liz, I had the exact same thought about Schatzi! I know a schnauser named Schatzi and it fits him, but on a kid? Blergh.

Honey’s for me, to honor my ‘MIL’, who goes by Gramma Honey Sue. (Her real name is much prettier but she hates it). So I was thinking Susanna Honey or something similar for another girl. I figured it can’t hurt in the middle and Susanna honors both me (a variation is in my name) and Grandma Lily by meaning. That’s fabulous in my book! I’d use Valentin (val-en-teen) on a boy & Valentine (–tine) on a girl to honor myy Pop. This Valentine’s Day would have been his 73rd birthday.

Lyndsay Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I was just thinking I should have used a Valentine’s name for my son (born the 20th) and then realized his middle name David means beloved! Yay!

I love Valentine names. Especially the really sugary ones in the middle. Sweetheart, Honey, Valentine, Dove, Love and Mignon are all too cute for words. If I had a girl on Valentine’s Day I would definitely use one. Hart is actually one of my favorite names, but it’s not holiday specific for me.

spotlightstarlit Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Penelope and Thisbe are already on my list and I am beginning to fall for Kerenza!

Happy Valentine’s NameLovers!

Blessings,

Bella <3

Lisa Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Paloma means dove, too. We flirted with using that name for our July-born daughter.

British American Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 5:51 pm

Just yesterday I asked my husband if our baby happened to be born a month early, on Valentine’s Day, could we use Valentine as a middle name for a boy or girl? He said no! :P I totally think it would be cute if you happened to have a baby on Valentine’s Day – though I’d probably keep the holiday themed name to the middle spot.

Namelover7 Says:

February 12th, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yes, Schatz does mean “treasure” and Schatzi is its pet form, but @Liz, Schatzi is also German term of endearment translating to “sweetheart”. If an English speaking mother said “Come here, sweetheart”, it would be the same as if a German speaking mother said “Komm her Schatzi” (Come here, Schatzi).
Liebling and Geliebte are also German terms of endearment.

Unusual Baby Names: Real, rare and invented – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry Says:

February 14th, 2011 at 1:11 am

[...] advertise on nameberry var ACE_AR = {Site: '770894', Size: '180150'}; « Valentine Names: Romancing the Name [...]

Mariah Says:

February 14th, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I really love Hart and consider it an undiscovered gem for boys. Couldn’t use it, though, because of our surname.

Freddy Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Liefje is the Dutch version of Schatzi. No-one I know would ever ever ever name their daughter that. (or son, but I can not see it work on a boy anyways). Liefje is what I tell my DH when I want the trash taken outside…

Lieve or Lieven is however a name. Mostly used for girls again.

Valentijn is a boys name used in more uptown families. You can hear it regularly nowadays.

*person* Says:

June 1st, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I love the name Niamh, (pronounced: Neev)!

thelifespark Says:

January 23rd, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I lOVE Lakshmi. Such a beautiful and exotic name.

iwillpraise Says:

May 5th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

My sister-in-law’s friend’s name is Radha; her personality is not the loveliest and makes me think of craziness not love! lol. Daphne has always been one of my clunky, unusual name loves since I was about 8 and heard it for the first time as the given name for one of my dolls; Leander is another on that particular list. I’m surprised to hear that Mariana is the Brazilian godess of love, as I have several lady friends named MaryAnn and I always thought it Catholic! In fact, one of my MaryAnn friends has a daughter named Aimee! Agapi, Davida (or Vida), and Milena are the most usable for me.