Unusual Girls’ Names: Destined for Stardom

comments

49 Responses to “Unusual Girls’ Names: Destined for Stardom”

Darci Says:

September 20th, 2012 at 11:46 pm

No, let Waverly, Marguerite, and Coralie stay in the hidden gems department! I love those names!

Sarabi Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:21 am

This is the best list I’ve seen yet. I can pass on Indigo, Cyra and Snow, but the rest are interesting and lively and I love them.

susan.n Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:35 am

I love this list! Clover and Coralie are my favorites.

I actually really like Lux, but I’d only use it as a middle name.

Xanthe. Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:40 am

Interesting that Coralie is so rare, I know 2 Coralies.

I love almost every name on this list. Cyra pronounced Seera is great, I love Indigo, Snow, (I like Snow short for Snoqualmie, a weird and yet somewhat attractive place name), Lux, and Marguerite, though I’m surprised to see Marguerite on the list! It’s a relatively odd name for the bunch, I love it just the same, and weirdly enough I was just thinking about it today, yeah just love it!

shellezbellez Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:50 am

Another bump for Florence is the singer Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine. I love her!

As for Calla, I can’t help but think of the wonderful title character of Rebecca Wells novel, [i]The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder[/i]. That’s what made me fall for the name!

Poppy528 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 1:23 am

I would like to see every Chloe replaced by Clover, but I honestly don’t like the name that much. Florence is a really lovely name, as is Coralie.

Xanthe, Snoqualmie as a place name? Love the falls but it doesnt cross over as a place name for me. Neither does Snohomish.

mayday_fridaybabe Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 1:30 am

Bellamy is adorable and I see the appeal with elegant Florence and spunky Waverly and exotic Marguerite & Coralie. But I just despise Lux, Clover and Snow! They’re not cool to me in the least!

Mara_lyn86 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:05 am

I still won’t judge name popularity based on how many times it is searched on nameberry. Some of these are very popular on this site and may take a few more years to actually get more attention.

From this list I would only use Florence and Marguerite. I don’t really like Lux either. Lucy will always be better in my mind. That is just my opinion.

Noetje Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:32 am

Indigo reminds me of Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride. It’s too much of a boys name for me..

ottilie Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 5:44 am

No! I don’t want Lux, Waverly and Snow to pop!

Mego0801 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 6:25 am

Indigo is on my girl’s list! I was panicking when I saw this list and I didn’t a little dance when my main girl’s name wasn’t on it! Most people are scared to use it by itself, and putting it in a NB blog would make it more popular and I really don’t want that! So, lovely names (maybe not Waverly but hey, to each his own) thanks for the post!!!

aunt_ning Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 6:48 am

I love the name Lux as a middle name. It is the middle name of one of the twins of the Author of the blog Girl gone Child. Her Children have the most fabulous names, in fact I found her blog here after someone mentioned her sons name Archer and Daughter Fable. Go check it out!

constantstar Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 8:28 am

I love Clover and Waverly. Both were on my list but dh vetoed them. You guys are giving me name regret!!

Mischa Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 9:29 am

Love: Marguerite, Florence, Calla, Clover, Coralie and Cyra

Great as a quirky mn: Snow

I like the sound of Indigo but here where I live in Canada it’s a large bookstore chain.

Lux is a soap brand so it’s a no-go for me.

Bellamy and Waverly are just two more additions to the “girls names ending in lee sound”. After awhile, they all start to sound the same so I lose interest quickly.

shinysarah11 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 9:44 am

I have a 17 year old cousin named Calla, which was pretty unusual in 1995. Still beautiful and unique in 2012!

norskelove Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 10:00 am

Great names! My favorites are Clover, Calla, Waverly and Indigo…..I just love those! I’d love to see any of these names used more often, though.

maggiemary Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love Inidgo. For a boy.

katybug Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 11:12 am

Shhh! Don’t tell anyone about Marguerite! Let’s just keep it between us, okay?

Lo Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 11:15 am

Florence is the only one of those names that really appeals to me. I think Flora is super cute.

TeacherMA Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Waverley also has a literary credit in Amy Tan’s “Joy Luck Club”. This was the first time I had ever seen that name.

kat77 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 12:51 pm

When I was 4 (30yrs ago), I thought we should name my baby sister Clover Michelle. My parents did not take my suggestion, I guess I was just too far ahead of the curve. But I am considering Marguerite for our baby this fall.

labmama Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Love Indigo! I think it would make a great middle name!

Love Snow! It’s my mom’s maiden name. I’d consider Snow for a middle name, or Neve for a first name.

Love (LOVE!) Clover!! But, I have a hard time picturing a grown woman named Clover. Maybe I just need to try harder!

little.lottie710 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love Bellamy, Coralie, Waverly, and Snow. (:

thetxbelle Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I have a Grandmother named Marguerite and imy biological mother has quite the nameberry name: Loraine Marguerite

thetxbelle Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:24 pm

^ I’m not 100% sure of the Loraine spelling though.

moxielove Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Clover, Lux & Marguerite have all been middle name contenders for a second daughter! Love this list. I think Clover is absolutely fantastic but it would sound silly with our last name so in the middle it goes!

redrose19 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’ve always loved Calla and Lux. Bellamy is also really intriguing. Florence reminds me too much of Florence Henderson, and it isn’t a very positive connotation for me. I like Snow and Clover, but they’re both NMS.

Ainscough Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My daughter is Florence, not sure if I am glad or not to see it on here. We love it though and it really suits her :)

pam Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I have to say, I love a lot of these names. Marguerite is my favorite but I love Clover and Snow (sounds like two sisters in a fairy tale) and Waverly and Ballamy are kind of guilty pleasure names — what I’d name my kids if I were a different person!!!

But if I had to go through life with a child with any of these names, or if I was magically given one of them for myself, I would be okay with that.

pam Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Also, I wanted to remind everyone if they wanted their picture or some other personalized avatar to use on Nameberry and around the web, they can go to http://en.gravatar.com/ and get one for free! I’d much rather see your faces or some other picture than that blue square…

softballblue9 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I really hope Calla and Waverly stay hidden! They’ve been on my favorites list for a while!

Scrambledmegs Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Clover, Lux and Waverly are three of my favorites! I grew up with a 40-something Clover who was just the epitome of sweetness and fun! She left a wonderful impression of the name on me. Lux is one I don’t think I’d ever be able to use, but is sooooo trendy right now. I know a handful of babies named Lux and I believe each of their parents thinks it’s original and unique… Oops? Waverly is one I love regardless of how popular it gets. I love the sound and feel of it. I wouldn’t mind yelling it up the stairs and announcing it on graduation stationary. She’s independent, in my opinion. Which is exactly what I’d want for my daughter.

Indigo and Bellamy are both names I would use for a son over a daughter. I could see them being used for both, but Indigo also reminds me of Inigo. I find India to be a more feminine sound. The O ending reminds me of Bruno and Dino, not Cleo. Bellamy is en route to Bentley, for me.

littlemrsB Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Argh! Must all my hidden gems be revealed one-by-one on the blog!? I’ve had Clover tucked away for years. I’m very much planning on using it, and I’m sincerely hoping it doesn’t become “destined for stardom!” Coralie was on my list, too. I thought I just kind of made it up, but I nixed it when I realized how popular Cora was becoming.

I dunno, though. I don’t predict all of these names actually getting a steep rise in popularity. I really can’t imagine that many people naming their girl Snow, for example. It’s just not a very pretty-sounding word. But being the name nerd I am, I still would think it were super cool if someone used it.

AEIvy Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Ooooh, this is a pretty list. I ADORE the suggestion of Marguerite; I really want to like Margaret because it’s pretty and because of the nickname Maggie, but I like Marguerite much more! And that it means ‘Daisy’ is so sweet.

Coralie and Cyra are also pretty, pretty names. Florence and Calla are GORGEOUS, and definitely viable. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if Florence got popular, and wouldn’t be sad, honestly. It’s a beautiful name.

Honestly? It wouldn’t make me sad if these got popular, because I’d just have to smile at all the pretty-named little girls.

Saracita00 Says:

September 21st, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Clover is a name for dairy livestock, I’m afraid. I had one growing up and I will never be able to shake the image of Clover out to graze with Milky-White and Blessing. *chuckles*

Margeurite is ever so pretty though and I do hope to meet a little Margeurite someday (I might use it myself were it not for a bad association with a Marge!). I highly doubt any of the names featured are destined for what anyone would call “stardom” exactly, but they are at least interesting and it’s not surprising they are being searched and seeing a little bit of use!

maggiemary Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 5:42 am

Adding to my comment from yesterday (I had to post it quickly, so didn’t finish what I wanted to say), I am quite surprised to find myself liking Bellamy. Not sure I’d use it as a first name, but definitely a candidate for a MN in the future, especially as it has featured in my family tree!

butterflyishida Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 8:49 am

shhhhhh!! Don’t tell the world about Indigo. I’m going to be heart broken if my favourite name goes viral before I have a chance to get preggers.

stairwaytoastar Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 9:30 am

Some like Snow, Lux and Clover are too “out there” for my taste. But I love Florence, Marguerite and Coralie.

nat108 Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This is the most depressing post EVER! So many of my favorites are on this list. Please don’t become popular.

MeleriHaf Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 12:28 pm

There’s a Waverly in The Princess Bride? Are we talking classic 80s movie? Because I’m pretty sure there’s no Waverly in that.

Also, fun fact: the Lux in League of Legends is actually named Luxana. Lux is her nn.

nat108 Says:

September 22nd, 2012 at 7:22 pm

@MeleriHaf: Had to look it up because I thought the same thing. Apparently the movie is based off of an actual book (I thought Grandpa was reading a fake book!) Waverly is Westley & Buttercup’s daughter

Aurra Says:

September 23rd, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Indigo is a GP of mine, I doubt I’d ever use it for real.

skizzo Says:

September 23rd, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Indigo sounds better on a boy

marinadancel17 Says:

September 23rd, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I have a close friend with the middle name Bellamy and I love it!

I’m a writer, so don’t you think Indigo, Waverly, Clover & Lux would make AMAZING sister names? :)

Kali Says:

September 23rd, 2012 at 11:11 pm

The picture for the name Clover is a picture of wood sorrels, not clovers.

Unusual Girls’ Names: Lotus, Arrow, Pehr, and the rest of the Nameberry 9 – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry Says:

December 12th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

[…] Unusual Girls’ Names: Destined for Stardom […]

larkub101 Says:

May 24th, 2013 at 8:54 am

This is without a doubt my favorite ever list on Nameberry. Literally the only names from here that I didn’t have pegged on my list were Cyra, Snow, Marguerite, and Florence. (Though I do like them.) I am in a madly in love with Bellamy, Waverly, Clover, and Calla.

cadeence Says:

August 16th, 2013 at 5:14 am

Coralie, Calla, Waverly and Bellamy sound for me beautiful, traditional and unusual – kinda what I’m looking for :) About Marguerite – umm, I don’t really like it. Lux is cooler for a boy, I can’t imagine it for a girl.
If I gave my daughter which would be born before June 2013 (don’t worry, I’m just dreaming!) mn Snow, I would regret it a million times, because somebody who appeared in June ruined it forever for me!
Indigo reminds me about indigo kids I have
read alot about.
It’s just my opinion, ok? :)

Fourthseason Says:

December 17th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I love Snow for a girl as a middle name. A small sutble way to connect parent daughter together especially if the parent has the name Winter, as I do. As a first name, no, nn yes. I love the name Snowdrop, the original name for Snow White before Disney Universially changed it. Her nn would be Snowie.