Unusual Baby Names: How To Tell the Good from the Not So Much

comments

17 Responses to “Unusual Baby Names: How To Tell the Good from the Not So Much”

SilentOne Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 3:45 am

I haven’t looked very closely at the list yet, but one name jumped out at me. I always thought Lyle was a masculine name.

LyndsayJenness Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 3:57 am

This was super interesting! I loved all the stats and am curious where I can find more.

I know a guy named Damek, when I first met him I thought it was weird, but it really grew on me. It wears well and I think he likes his name.

namefan Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 9:48 am

Here’s why Lyle is on the girl’s list: That is one of the “geezer names” that Pam and Linda but very few of the rest of us like for a girl.

http://names4real.wordpress.com/ Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 10:01 am

I go through birth announcements for my blog names4real.wordpress.com and I see a lot of unusual names for kids like Tapestry (girl), Sunlyn (girl), Prosperity (girl), Purchased (girl), Chant (boy) and Moxy (boy) and tons more.

I love Malu, Haven, Gable, Quade, Thane (I’ve met a girl named Thayne and I have adored her name ever since for either a boy or a girl), but I don’t think I’d ever use them.

I don’t think Brennan is considered unusual though.

Great blog.

Dearest Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 10:11 am

Ceres and Corisande are lovely for girls!
Eben, Lander, Lazarus and Rune are great names as well

Haven for a boy is unique, but it’s on the list as number 631 for girls. Brennan is number 263 for boys but nowhere on the girls list… Calling them unique for both boys and girls isn’t the best way to put it maybe?

Ira and Junot (Juno/Juneau more likely) would be for girls, North and Thane are high on my list for boys… ^^

ACD Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Ceres is a less than desirable town in California, and just can’t see that as a name of a sweet baby girl. This town was also the hometown to Chandra Levy and Gary Condit (remember that scandal/investigation?).

http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com/ Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Most of my favorites are considered “unusual” I like them because either for their meaning, history, sound and origin versus their uniqueness. Jacinta has always been a favorite of mine due to a saint that I like and I think the sound is very pretty, I also adore the French version of Jacinthe.

disa_lan Says:

October 26th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Great blog! I was just thinking about Rune the other day. I think it would make a great middle name.
Brennan is pretty popular in my area but so is Brandon, Brendan and Brayden.
Names I like from this blog – Ira, North Raleigh/Raley, Deryn/Aderyn.

Kate Says:

October 30th, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I’m Irish, so it’s very funny for me to see Oisin on a list of unusual baby names, because that is such a normal name in Ireland.

bipolarclown Says:

October 31st, 2009 at 12:32 pm

While most of the listed names aren’t something I’d think of for a person, I think Pom, Panya, Malu and Nuri sound pretty cute. Maybe more for pets or characters though.

A Belgian: Says:

December 6th, 2009 at 4:30 am

I’m sorry but what you write about Belgian names is absolutely incorrect. True, we are not limited to a list, but people stick to the (for us) traditional names. The names you write are compeletely not done (I never heard about them). > 50%? Never.

Pamela Redmond Satran Says:

December 6th, 2009 at 9:25 am

We didn’t mean to say that over half of Belgian children receive the unusual names on this list, just that some Belgian children receive non-traditional names.

luvbnmom Says:

March 8th, 2010 at 11:14 am

Our son is Bi-racial we wanted a unique name suitable for both sides of his heritage. We have chosen the name “Haven Alexander” .

Baby Name of the Day: Gannon « Appellation Mountain Says:

February 22nd, 2011 at 4:56 pm

[...] between preppy surname picks like Brooks and aggressively masculine choices in the key of Slade.  Nameberry included Gannon on their list of “good” unusual baby names, in the company of choices like Eben, Lander, and [...]

You dont know me Says:

March 9th, 2012 at 9:20 pm

[...] In class this week, we discussed what makes a bad parent. We read an article that outlined seven things that parents do that they believe are good for their kid, but end poorly instead. One of the things was naming you child a unique name. The article stated that parents believe this will make their kid stand out and be noticed. That it will actually help them in life. The reality of the situation was quite different though. It actually makes the child an outcast, makes them feel different. The article said that it is actually a fact that children with normal names, ie: John, Joseph, Michael, turn out better and more successful than children with unusual names. I do not believe that this is correct however. One of my best friends is named Ryan, and is a girl. She is an amazing artist who is actually being recognized for her artwork. She has an unusual name, yet she is more successful than most people i know. The following link is an article that i found about unique names: http://nameberry.com/blog/unusual-baby-names-whats-good-and-bad [...]

R_J Says:

May 24th, 2012 at 8:41 am

So, parents who are uneducated or poor receive a scolding for Demarcus, but middle-class and above can name their child Tancredo and it’s the “acceptable” type of unusual.

Interesting.

kungfualex Says:

October 5th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I know a Vadim, but he’s Russian so it may just be unusual for the U.S. Also I live in Raleigh–I think it would to be awkward to use while I’m still living here, but I might use it if I moved away. I could easily see couples that met at NCSU using the name.