Unisex Baby Names: Going to the boys

comments

33 Responses to “Unisex Baby Names: Going to the boys”

KateMP91 Says:

June 12th, 2013 at 11:37 pm

I know a baby boy named Jody =)

None of these surprised me too much except Kyle. I had no idea it had ever been a female name, I kinda like it for girls!

karacavazos Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 12:15 am

Very interesting to see some of these that I hadn’t thought about! Crazy how they can just go back and forth like its no big deal.

sarahmezz Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 2:32 am

Names I consider exclusively female: Amari, Angel, Cortney (awful spelling), Dee, Dominique, Dusty, Germaine, Jaime, Joan, Jody.

Names I consider exclusively male: Artie, Donnie, Ashton, Cruz, Darian, Darnell, Lavon, Vernell, Deon, Deshawn, Lashawn, Devon, Elisha, Kai, Kyle, Shawn, Toby, Theo, Tristin.

Names I consider truly unisex: Casey, Kerry, Frankie, Carey, Kerry, Jan, Jean, Jude, Kirby, Kris, Lane, Phoenix.

sarahmezz Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 2:33 am

Whoops, I doubled up on a couple of names in the unisex category!

kyemsma Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 4:12 am

I was so happy to see Kyle on the list as a predominantly boy’s name! I was very surprised to see Theo was once a girl’s name.

upswingbabynames Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 4:54 am

I’m happy to learn that Jude is almost all boy now.

My daughter has a friend in her class, Caleb. Caleb has a baby brother named Jude but for months I thought Caleb had a baby sister named Jude because that’s what my daughter told me. She must have assumed Jude was a girl, but to me Jude is all-boy. I was so relieved to learn that Caleb and Jude were both boys!

Ysaline Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 5:35 am

Very interesting! I suppose this means that other names which currently appear to be ‘going to the girls’ might swing back at some point and become more masculine again. I wonder if there will be greater acceptance in the future of names that are truly unisex – neither strongly feminine or masculine – now that names like Taylor and Dakota and many more have been widely used for both sexes. I suspect the diversity of names being used today means kids are already more tolerant of difference when it comes to names than kids of my generation were, although certainly if they want to find a reason to tease someone they might still latch onto his or her name as something to make fun of.

Pam Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 8:13 am

Sarahmezz, I think what Steve’s chart does that’s so valuable is makes it easy to see how our assumptions on the gender of names measure up to the real numbers! Of course you can look up a split in how many children of each gender received the name in any year and also compare popularity standing on the nameberry page, but it’s really amazing to look at the movement over time.

namefan Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 8:49 am

Besides those mentioned in the blog that actually shifted from predominately female to predominately male, it’s also worth mentioning that there are also examples that are still predominately female but the gap has narrowed. Notably this has happened with names such as Kelly, Robin, and Shannon now that they’re out of style for girls (they’ve declined for both genders but less so for boys, so they make good candidates for someone wanting to try and “reclaim” one for their own son since they’re familiar but not common either way nowadays). In the upcoming decades I think that Morgan and Taylor may follow a similar path, so I think they’d also be good candidates for reclaiming.

Kateri Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 10:26 am

I cannot imagine a man’s Joan!

Kateri Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 10:27 am

I cannot imagine a male Joan!

Pam Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 10:31 am

Namefan and Ysaline, I agree!

Luvinbeingmomma Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 11:04 am

I would love to see Kelly go back to the boys. I dont think there are many little girls, or boys running around with that name…I think most are just tired of it. I would find it so refreshing to meet a little boy Kelly.

sweets12 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 11:18 am

My middle name is Dionne but generally every Deon/Dion I meet is male. So I’d say this is right from my own experience.

mge28 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 11:42 am

Names that are all girl to me: Amari, Jan, Jean, Joan, Kerry/Carey, Dominique, Dee, and Kris.

Names that are all boy to me: Artie, Donnie, Frankie, Ashton, Cruz, Darian, Darnell, Elisha, Vernell, Dusty, Jaime, Germaine, Jude, Kai, Kirby, Kyle, Phoenix, Toby, Theo, and Tristan.

Names that are truly unisex to me: Angel, Cortney, Deon, Devin, Lane, and Shan.

Deshawn and Lashawn and Lavon aren’t even names.

mge28 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 11:42 am

*Shawn

skizzo Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 11:43 am

The problem is hardly any of these are used considerably, so the switch is hardly noticeable. Going girl however is still FAR more common, even with popular boy names.

charlottesmommy23 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Maybe in a couple of years, Aubrey will swing back to being an all-boy name and I can use it for my son. Wishful thinking.

maggiemary Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I’m delighted to see that Elisha is now very much on the boy’s side. Wahoo!

coconutcreampie Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 5:11 pm

As a mom of four boys, one of whom is a Toby, I love to see unisex names go to the boys. Now if only Bailey would head the same direction!

jpruitt76 Says:

June 13th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I had no idea Kyle, Theo and Toby had ever been so popular as girl names – interesting! The only girl Kyle’s I’ve ever met were born in the 80s or later. I’ve never met a female Theo or Toby of any age (although I do know of a few Theas and some Teddys).

frustratedauthor Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 1:13 am

Good to see these names sliding into the blue. Especially pleased about Toby, Kyle, Elisha, Ashton, and Phoenix.

benjamelissa Says:

June 14th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I know a 50-something Lavon female and a 40-something Deven female and a 7-year-old Taylor male.

Gretel Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 5:24 am

It really doesn’t matter to me whether a name leans female or male, but I’m happy to have counterexamples like this to calm those who get so upset over girls “stealing” traditionally male names, as if the name is therefore forever unusable for boys.

I think parents in general are getting a less uptight about giving unisex names to boys, even when they know said names are used equally/mostly on girls, which is a good thing for baby naming.

habert Says:

June 15th, 2013 at 10:11 pm

mge28: Exactly why aren’t Deshawn, Lashawn or Lavon not names? They’ve all made it onto the top 1000 at one point or another, so what exactly is the criteria?

OceaneBreeze Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Interesting! I love Kyle as a girls name!

yw2 Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The name Joan on your list really surprises me. I always think of Joan of Arc…never heard it on a boy.

My brother is a Devan. I know in the U.K. it’s a popular spelling for girls. However, in the U.S. (south) I’ve only met female Devons.

I like Germaine, Cortney, and Lane better as girl names.

To me, Kyle, Toby, Dusty, Cruz, Theo, Jude, and Phoenix are strictly boys.

Was Griffin ever popular for girls? I’ve meet a female Griffin, but never a guy by that name…although I think of it as a guy’s name.

tori101 Says:

June 17th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

So interesting and I’m glad that the boys are conquering some choices over the girls. It’s annoying seeing some boys names slowly disappearing such as Madison so this was interesting and great too see. Despite this I do find some of these choices for boys really strange like for example Joan.

@yw2 being from the UK and living in the UK (south east England) and am surprised that you think Devan is popular for a girl as I have never ever stumbled across this choice before which makes me think that it isn’t popular.

Unisex Baby Names: Names that morphed from blue to pink – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry Says:

September 10th, 2013 at 8:22 am

[...] unisex baby names start as female choices and shift over time to become more boyish, but many more begin as all-boy names and over the decades cross to the girls’ [...]

CandaceMarie321 Says:

September 10th, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I’m excited to see Carey going back to the boys, I wanted to name a boy Cary a la Cary Grant or Cary Elwes (OK, mostly Cary Grant), but my hubby complained “it’s a girl’s name.” I doubt this article would convince him, but hopefully we won’t be naming any more boys anyway.

leahmarie512 Says:

September 10th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I would venture to say that some of these names were/are popular for boys and girls for different reasons.
For example:
Jaime — For a boy this is a Hispanic name pronounced HYE-may, but on a girl I’d guess it’s used as an alternate spelling of Jamie
Elisha — On a boy this is a Biblical name, pronounced ee-LYE-shuh, while on a girl I’d think that it’s an alternate spelling of Alisha (uh-LISH-uh, eh-LISH-uh).
Dominique — I’d guess that the parents who use this name on males are looking for a yooneek spelling of Dominic.

Isabellissima Says:

September 14th, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I would add that I think Jean shifting to boys is that we’re looking at two different names. Jean pronounced like in blue jeans, is an English female name but boys being called Jean are being called the French Jean which is pronounced differently. It’s probably more a cultural shift than a gender shift, if you know what I mean.

Unisex Baby Names: Names That Morphed from Blue to Pink | giggle GAB Says:

November 19th, 2013 at 1:12 pm

[...] unisex baby names start as female choices and shift over time to become more boyish, but many more begin as all-boy names and over the decades cross to the girls’ [...]