Unisex Baby Names: Emerson, Everly and more

comments

18 Responses to “Unisex Baby Names: Emerson, Everly and more”

Poppy528 Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 3:16 am

I love the name Everly! It’s in my category of names, like Novalie and Waverly, that I crazy heart love but make husband cringe. We both love Gretchen though, very fetch.

chrliegrl Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 6:49 am

Just came across a new colleague named Vandy and came running to Nameberry to learn the background on a name I’ve never heard. Turns out my colleage is a woman, but Vandy’s on my list of unisex names, as I really wasn’t sure by name alone.

Alexandra1 Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 7:02 am

Quit trying to make “fetch” happen Gretchen! :)

I know a little girl named Emerson, but no boys. I guess I didn’t really realize it is used for boys, too.

In terms of spelling, I could get on board with rules….I really hate alternative spellings (I work in a school and it gets complicated and is VERY frustrating for the kids themselves-just don’t do it!!) But I don’t think any sort of naming rules would be appropriate in the United States, we like our freedom to choose whatever we want.

Aurra Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Sadly, I don’t think any naming rules will come to pass here in the States. Millions would protest, saying it’s a violation of the First Ammendment. They have the right to name their kids what they choose. Even Hashtag and Kdynz…

niteowl13 Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 10:09 am

Funny that in a blog about unisex names, you didn’t even point out the fact that the actress, Sterling Jerins, has a name that was used for boys. It seems like parents these days find a name that used to be in fashion for boys that isn’t in use much any more, and they steal it away for the girls. (Aubrey, Avery, Garnet, etc) Then boys get named some trendy versions of Aidan. sigh
I am a follow the rules kind of person, and I dislike most boys names on girls, however, I would not want to have to choose from a list of names. My favorite names are ones that are vintage and out of fashion and not popular. It would be boring to have 9 out of 10 children named Jane or Henry, like it was in the days of Henry VIII.

Flick Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 10:34 am

Sorry nameberry, doesn’t matter how many blogs you post claiming stuff like Emerson is “unisex” is going to change the fact that they are, in fact, masculine.

Blaer is just awful.

Constance, on the other hand, is wonderful.

UselessKitty Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 10:43 am

I agree with Flick. Emerson isn’t unisex, it is a boys name that is being used on girls. It means “son of Emery”, how is that a girl’s name?

GrecianErn Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 11:40 am

I think the reason that a lot of boys names end up on girls is because parents are looking for strong names with more feminine nicknames.
It has more to do with the perception of a future Fortune 500 CEO daughter than just picking a boys name. But I agree that creative spellings and unreal names (Hashtag, etc) should be outlawed.

That being said, Emerson in on our list, with the nn Emme.

And my husband came from left field when he recommended Everly. It was a shocking announcement from the guy who likes Ada and Keegan. ;)

I like the sound of Robley… but that might be because it reminds me of Mae Mobley from “the Help.”

skizzo Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Emerson is a boys name, period. Go to a Brazil as a female named Emerson, and you’ll probably get laughed at.
Legitimate unisex names are nicknames such as Charlie or Nicky; if they are unisex in other languages like Dominique, Lilian, Noa or Camille in French for example; or because depending on the which country you’re talking about, the name can sway masculine or feminine, for example Zoe, Ruby are masculine in Portugal, Nicola and Andrea are masculine in Italy, yet these names can be feminine in other countries.

katie8765 Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

To me, I cannot consider many names “unisex” for example, Riley and Skyler are more popular on girls than boys (btw I love these names for a boy!) but I know no girls with this name, so its hard for me to picture the names on both genders. Taylor- I know several boy and girls named Taylor, so to me this is a name I consider unisex

Abby Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

@GrecianErn – I think you’re quite right, and maybe that’s why the whole topic sets our teeth on edge. Surely there’s been a CEO somewhere named Daisy or Evangeline or Susannah.

We can all think of lots of women in demanding and authoritative positions with girly names. Carly, Meg, Christiane, Tina, Nancy. Or unusual ones – Condoleezza, Oprah, Indra.

For all our talk that names are destiny, I think your name would have to be pretty crazy to really hamstring your chances of career success.

@skizzo – There are countries where unisex names are far more accepted. Israeli baby names are often truly gender neutral. Certainly, there are places where the rules are very strict, too. The US is just plain in between, I think …

@Poppy528 – Stellar mean girls reference! Made my day. :)

nat108 Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

“Could it be that we’re finally learning to share?”

Oh, please! We all know that once girls start using a name they do NOT share. If you choose to use it for your son you get a flurry of “It’s feminine.” and “It’s a girl name.” Now suddenly Maxwell is “unisex” just because of one celeb. Take a look at recent threads asking about Eden and Ashley for boys to see just how much we’re NOT sharing and it’s only the boy side that’s losing

auroradawn Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

It WOULD be a violation of the First Amendment to impose baby naming rules on American parents. As much as names like Hashtag, Kaytlyn and Precious make me feel that some parents sure do need rules, I will defend their right to use those names (through clenched teeth) because I believe in freedom.

None of these nine are really my style, though Robley, Gretel and Constance each earned a second look.

wildebeth Says:

February 4th, 2013 at 10:20 pm

OMG. We literally just decided thirty minutes ago to name our daughter one of these names, thrilled that it isn’t super popular, and here it is featured in a blog post on Nameberry. :( This naming thing is killing me.

peach25 Says:

February 5th, 2013 at 11:16 am

Robley Wilson is a well-known older writer and editor so it sounds “literary” to me.
Constance, nn “Connie,” was as popular in the 1950s as Charlotte is today.

R_J Says:

February 6th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Everly is very pretty. I was wondering about the name Beverly the other day and why it never gets mentioned, what with Everly, Waverly, etc being talked about. I forgot about that famous 90210 zip code! Maybe it’s too overdone because of all the TV shows that mention Beverly Hills.

mallowd Says:

May 8th, 2013 at 8:44 am

I think boys are getting the low side as well. I love the name Everly and Emerson. I originally liked Emerson as a boy’s name and still do but I can see where the Emer part of it is feminine sounding. To me strong letters like K, G, C etc are more masculine and vowels, A, E, or soft letters like L are feminine. Emme is very cute for a nn for Emerson and I’ve also heard it paired with more traditional feminine middle names like Rose (Emerson Rose is adorable I think)! But I’m determined to keep as a boy’s name for myself, but I don’t mind the sharing. I think it depends on you hear it too. I’ve known a Leslie, Shannon, Kelly, and Morgan (all boys). Even though nowadays those are all common girl names. It took a while to get used to Kelly as a girl and not a boy. The G in Morgan sets it as a boy name for me (and is traditionally), along with the others people mentioned such as Addison, Ashley, etc. I’ve also heard of a girl Kevin. To each his own these days is my thought, altho I think Hashtag is a little out there. My name, Dana, is unisex, and I like sharing it:)

mallowd Says:

May 8th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I also have wondered about Delaney, I’ve usually heard it for a girl, but briefly dated a boy named Delaney who said his father picked it for him. I’d like to use it someday but would feel weird since I knew him.