Think You’ve Found A Top Secret Baby Name? Think Again

comments

34 Responses to “Think You’ve Found A Top Secret Baby Name? Think Again”

Lola Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 7:51 am

Not Bruno?!? Really? Wow, I never get any good responses when I mention Bruno anywhere online. He sits on my alternates list because of that. But I love Bruno!
Leonard’s completely awesome (but I already have a Leo). Leonard Nimoy comes to mind when I hear it.
Gwendolen’s the only girl name up there that really appeals to me.

Winter Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 8:24 am

Some of the names on the lists have been mentioned recently in discussions on the Nameberry message boards. Can you see whether the increase began just after the posts. It’s not surprising that Nameberry posts with unusual, interesting names would lead readers to search those names on the site. I wonder how much the Nameberry community has and will influence naming?!

pam Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 8:35 am

Thanks for that insight, Winter. Absolutely, names discussed on message boards will influence names searched which may influence naming in general. But there is a chicken and egg factor, as there are LOTS of names mentioned on the message boards but only some are a) very obscure to start out with and b) capture a lot of people’s fancy. So there is also something “in the air” that makes these names attractive.

mcintyr1 Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 9:04 am

I love the name Waverly, but i went to high school in town called Waverly, and even though i live far away now, i think that a lot of people i know at home would think i was very strange when they find out i’d named a baby after a town.

lindsey Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’ve known 2 Aleahs – sweet girls! :)

My fav on the girls is Waverly but dh hates it. It’s a common theme for us. I like, he vetos.

I love Lysander from the boys list! It’s on my boy list if we ever have a boy.

It’s great to see this list! Those names have sure caught someone’s attention! :)

Luckymomma Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 9:54 am

I’m sure Linton is there because It was reported as the name of Owen Wilson’s new baby. Turns out that they didn’t name him that, but I was one of the people who came to nb and looked it up!

Steph Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 10:49 am

hahaha! Brice and Larkin are next to each other. funny as Brice Larkin is the name of a character in the series Chuck!

Kalikeli Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hee hee – a couple if those are me: Brice (though I like it as Bryce) and Peregrin. I like Peregrin for a girl with nn Pippa, and DH is somewhat ok with it as he’s a huge lord of the rings fan. Bryce was an amazing artist friend of the family who died several years ago, and I always thought his name was special.

pam Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 11:06 am

You’re right, Luckymomma! Ford Linton. I forgot that….

We have another blog upcoming on all the hottest celebrity-inspired (along with celebrity baby and characters) new names. I think of Linton as the wimpy husband in Wuthering Heights.

Lisa Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I think it might be informative to look at the absolute number increase vs. the percentage. I.e., if a name had 5 views a year ago and 50 now, that is a 10 fold increase, which sounds like a lot but it is only 45 more views vs. a name that had 500 views a year ago and 750 now–only a 50% increase but 250 more people looking at that name…

Nyx Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I love Effie! However, I (personally) dislike using nicknames in the place of full names. And I dislike Euphemia for the full name. I have heard of people using it as a nickname for Stephanie and Tiffany, which works better for me!

I also love seeing Lysander on the list. This is such a great masculine name! It’s similar enough to the popular Alexander that people won’t have any trouble with it, and can use Sander, Xander, or Ly as a nickname. (Yes, I think Ly can work – it’s in many masculine names, from Elijah to Carlisle and Eli to Lyle).

Megan Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I love Waverly. We almost used it for our second daughter, born last year. It’s still in the running if we ever have another daughter.

Lola Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Nyx, my daughter uses Effie as an alternate nn for her name, Josephine. (along with Fifi, Posie & Josie)! So there’s another possibility for you. :)

sadiesadie Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I am guilty of Ptolemy and Willoughby. I absolutely love Ptolemy.
I too would like to know the actual numeric increase.

Carolyn Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Ha! The only thing on there that I particularly like is Gwendolen, and even that isn’t my favourite Gwen-name. Mind you, I don’t plan on having kids for a while, so who knows what’ll change.

I don’t doubt that name-loving can be subject to something in the air. I think this is why a lot of non-name-nerds are surprised when you say that their favourite names (Isabella, Olivia, Sophia) are all really popular. Also, I almost always decide a boys name is my new favourite right before it goes to the girls, so maybe I’m just getting my wires crossed or something?

agirlinred Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Looks like I’m safe… None of my obscure favorites are on here (or at least, the ones I like to think are obscure). As a side note, I’m really hoping that “Adecyn” doesn’t climb its way up the charts. It took me a few seconds to realize it was a butchered version of Addison. :/

Nicole Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I adore Yael! It deserves more recognition.

izzyyyy Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Yes! None of my particular favorites are here, although they’re probably all more popular than this. :( I do like Rosabelle. And about Yael, I know two people with the name, they’re both family friends, and it’s a great name

L. Says:

March 9th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

A friend just named her baby boy Caelan, which I had never heard of. I think it sounds way too much like Caitlin/ Kaylynn, etc. and hope it doesn’t catch on.

heidi Says:

March 10th, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love that you included Louella. It was my grandmother’s name. She simply went by Lou. I never was fond of it growing up, but as she became ill and started to pass away I clung to it. It will always be very special to me, and will become a middle name for a future daughter someday.

linzybindi Says:

March 10th, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Oh there are so many fun names here!

My favorites are…
Aminta, Lotte, Louella, Noor, Finula, Gwendolen, Peregrine and Alasdair.

I’m guessing Imre is jumping because of Alanis Morisette’s son Ever Imre.

I am totally surprised by Barry, Geoffrey, Larkin, Regina and Circe.

I know a little girl named Abba…pronounced a-bah

Boston Girl Says:

March 11th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Abriana, Aerin and Natalya are cute, though I prefer the latter spelled “Natalia”.

Uriel? It almost sounds like a girls’ name. I’ve never seen any name that started with U that appealed to me. Wonder what it is about that letter as an initial…

I giggled to myself when I noticed Kane and Gage. I used these names for a pair of brothers in one of my stories.

Sunday Summary: 3/13/11 | Appellation Mountain Says:

March 13th, 2011 at 12:24 pm

[…] Will Louella, Calix, and Imre have to share their names?  They’re among those on the rise at Nameberry; […]

mcleod01 Says:

March 14th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

My top secret girl name is still not a top 1000 and not on the above list! I’m so glad because I heart it so much!!:)

Cassandra Says:

March 21st, 2011 at 11:11 pm

My two secret names are still safe too!

Leslie Owen Says:

March 24th, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Uriel is an archangel name and quite common in Israel as Uri. Jael (Yael) is extremely popular in Israel and has been for years. I notice that two other Hebrew names are possibilities that no one’s picked up on, Jerusha and Jemima.

Taylor Says:

March 28th, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Our daughter is named Waverly. I alone could be the one responsible for that 900% traffic increase…I looked the name up sooooo many times on here when I was pregnant re-reading the meanings and seeing if anything was added about it! :) I sent the link to a ton of family members, too. She is 6 months old now and we have yet to meet anyone who has ever heard it before!

AmyM Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 7:18 am

There was me being all smug that none of my favourite girls names were there, until I saw that Willoughby was on the boys list! I always thought I was such a super-genius for coming up with that one, but obviously not :(. I still love it though.

Also, I was talking to my friend the other day and we both said how much we liked Lysander. Funny how it seems other people do to! Peregrine is starting to grow on me too- nn Pippin is too cute.

Jennifer Says:

April 8th, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Willoughby and Waverly are both street names in babies-everywhere Brooklyn — maybe parents are following the place names trend on an even more micro level now!

Olivia Says:

April 18th, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Interesting list… the only ones I particularly like are Elara, Willoughby and Bruno.

And Adecyn? Have the world’s parents-to-be gone completely doo-laly?

Christine Says:

April 22nd, 2011 at 9:05 am

Oh dear. After reading the comments above I guess I’m really in the minority here in Nameberry – but I only like maybe 2 of those names above. I think the rest are just awful. I hope parents can remember, and take the time to as well, back to when they were young and in school and how important your name was – it can be such a huge source of agony if it’s too different! Sure, once you’re an adult you may get past that but you could still be saddling your baby with a number of very tough years with lots of teasing first. Is it really worth that just to make yourself feel special for being so “unique” with your kids’ names?
Just giving the other side of the coin and asking sincere questions, I genuinely don’t want to offend anyone. As my wonderful mother always says, ‘To each his/her own’, always! :)

Ashlie Says:

July 27th, 2011 at 3:24 pm

My daughter’s name is still on the secret list, I see! With all the Alexa, Alexia…I figured somebody else would name their Alexalyn. I guess not! She’s one of a kind!!

mariahsweet Says:

December 4th, 2011 at 2:03 am

Weird, I was just recently thinking about using Peregrine for a daughter’s middle name and then I came across this post.

dudanginski Says:

May 3rd, 2012 at 2:17 am

Nice weblog right here! Also your web site rather a lot up fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your associate hyperlink on your host? I wish my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol