They Named The Baby What?!?: The most outrageous new names of 2013

comments

69 Responses to “They Named The Baby What?!?: The most outrageous new names of 2013”

KaylaC Says:

May 14th, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Subaru?! Omg! And who would name a little girl Charlemagne? But honestly I think the boys names are farther out there than the girls.

lookingahead Says:

May 14th, 2014 at 11:16 pm

My husband informed me that apparently one of the girls in The Hunger Games it’s named Prim so that might explain that.

grace_newgrace Says:

May 14th, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Prim seems out of place to me here, I don’t think it’s wacky at all even though it’s from The Hunger Games. Besides that there are some strange ones here. Subaru especially. I like Hatch in a weird way. I wouldn’t use it for a child but I can see it on a Pixar movie character!

montana Says:

May 14th, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Vice is pretty cool I mean not that I’d name any kid that but

shelly68 Says:

May 14th, 2014 at 11:45 pm

If you go to the ghetto you’ll meet people with these kinds of names…just sayn.

mill1020 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:00 am

Vanellope is a major character from the movie “Wreck-It Ralph.” And Charlemagne is pretty far “out there” but I guess I’m surprised it hasn’t been used more, given its history.

StasMarie Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:01 am

Wow! I’m more shocked by shelly68’s comment than the list. “Ghetto?” Really? I’ve lived in the “ghetto” my entire life, and us folk in the “ghetto” usually get names honoring a family member. Adding “just sayn” to your comment, doesn’t excuse you from making a racist statement.

jessieo Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:17 am

If you are Japanese, Subaru isn’t socking, it means ‘rise’ I’m pretty sure. (live in Japan, Japanese husband). As for some of the others like ghetto – oh dear.

jessieo Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:22 am

Lol! very sorry about the typo about ‘Ghetto’ I was typing another name but after reading the comments about ‘ the ghetto’ got mixed up…sorry if i offended anyone!!! Can’t fix the typos here??

Tay2thestars Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:33 am

I don’t think Pemberley is that outrageous; especially since it’s similar to Kimberly and comes from Pride and Prejudice. I’ve actually always liked it in a GPish way.

SunKissedChild Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:47 am

I agree with Tay2thestars, Pemberely is a bit of a GP of mine- Love Pride and Prejudice!

The other names make me want to cry though.

Lilea Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 2:42 am

I really like Pemberley too.

Larkspur Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 6:42 am

Also chiming in for a vote for Pemberley. Love it ! I have always liked Ransom too, just not on a girl

Leary879 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Ransom isn’t that out there, it’s actually a family name on my dad’s side and didn’t used to be that uncommon.

As someone else said, prim is from the hunger games so there’s where that came from (though in the book, it’s short for primrose)

Charlemagne isn’t that bad, it’s unique but I think it’s legit.

MaryKathryn Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 7:23 am

I would consider Prim/Primrose, I think it’s beautiful.

norbury Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 7:25 am

If I had to chose from this list I’d rather be Happiness, Psalm or Gosple than Pistol, Vice or Hatch (in their defence Pistol et al are more likely to be spelled correctly). I agree Subaru is a cultural connection rather than the brand, think Portia.

Egbertine Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 8:06 am

Rarity is a character on My Little Pony, which may have influenced some people.

miloowen Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 8:24 am

These names are tame compared to some of my students’ names. And I did have a student named Nautica. There are quite a few brand name kids out there. It started with thinking that Mercedes and Portia were car names and now it’s mostly clothing brands. When you have students named Chandelier and Klamidia and Tequila and Sir and Lord and Little….I think the names I find the most outrageous, though (aside from poor Klamidia) are the Confederate general names. We still get lots of those. How are you going to name your son after the founder of the KKK?

Pam Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 8:28 am

The Social Security administration only records names given to five or more children each year. There indeed are thousands of more outrageous truly-one-of-a-kind names — like Klamidia! Let’s hope there’s only one…

cgwaltney Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 9:03 am

These can’t be for real! I’m in awe…0_0

Knelli Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 9:06 am

Vanellope isnt TOO bad. Its a character name. So is Prim. I love Prim as a nn. But Ive heard of some really wacky names. Lemangelo – Because she craved lemon jello while pregnant….

Myosotis Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 9:54 am

Prim’s nice, but not that unusual; I knew a Primrose (but she didn’t have a nn). Pemberley’s kind of cute, but it reminds me so much of Mr Darcy, it’s a bit masculine and I hope Happiness doesn’t go to France.

banomi Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 9:59 am

How can you name your daughter Pistol?! Seriously.

MerMaiden6 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 11:09 am

Just offering more support for Subaru. I went to school with a Japanese boy with that name twenty years ago! It was strange to our ears but, like most unusual names, everyone got used to it pretty quickly.

iwillpraise Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 11:11 am

Envie, Rarity is just wrong… did they even think about what this will do to their kids.. quite probably alienate them? and Pistol, Warrior? Um, no.
Rebelle isn’t ok or any prettier just because you made it a “Belle” name (no one will care that Belle means beauty in this case)
Vice – I would have a hard time allowing my child play with your little “Vice” on the playground. Someone apparently didn’t get counsel on this one.

Siqi? Jceion? Xzaiden (why the extra letter? Do these parents mean to say Zaiden itself is not unique enough??)
Prezlee – Elvis meets Pretzel.. lol
Charger, Kyndle, Power – too techie/egoistic.
Tuf(t) – of hair? or perhaps Tough gone wrong..?
Snowy (might as well have named her “Frozen” from the movie!)

I slightly understand Forever, as it’s similar to a virtue name. However, what I don’t understand is why you’d use it for a boy? At least a girl could go by Eve..
Likewise, I think Loyal is a great name; yet as much as I like Llewellyn and Loyal individually, there’s really no need (other than to create spelling issues!) for the two to produce offspring
Psalms, Happiness and Gospel are interesting choices. Never thought of them as names, but however you want to put it, they are much better than Envie, Rebelle and Vice! I do think that they might be better as middles tho.

As strange as Ransom and Hatch might seem, I’ve known legitimate families with these surnames, so this very well could be a nod to their heritage.

vicioustrollop9 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 11:31 am

I, too, love Pemberley. I was actually a bit surprised to see it on so few babies, with all the Jane Austen love out there.

dragonflynv Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 11:40 am

I’m chiming in with another vote for Pemberley! I’m only sad that I’ve never considered it before!

Bungo Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

How do you pronounce Jceion? Jason?
And it would be pretty embarrassing to bump into another Rarity.

peach25 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

One not on this list but on another a friend sent me was “Portlynne.” It reminded me of one of my favorite cre8tve spellings, “Kateland,” which I think sounds like a theme park.

SaraKeiju Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 12:46 pm

I don’t see a problem with “Siqi.” I have a friend named this, pronounced See-chee. She is Chinese, and I assume it is a Chinese name. Of course I would not use it as I am not Chinese in any way, but it always seemed perfectly normal for her.

tarynkay Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

@peach25- Kateland is hilarious!

Ransom is a legitimate Christian reference name- as in, “Christ paid my ransom.” It used to be far more common. Ransom is also a character in some C.S. Lewis novels. My husband grew up with a guy named Ransom- he went by Randy as a kid, but now goes by Ransom as a successful writer. We used to call him “Handsome Ransom” as name teasing goes, that is not so bad.

When I see or hear names that surprise me (like Vanellope) I usually google them and there is usually some logical basis for the name, like those above mentioned, Vanellope being a character in a recent popular movie, or Suburu being a traditional Japanese boys name. I am really wondering about Envie, though.

KateMP91 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

I’m actually quite fond of Vanellope. I also like Ransom, Hatch, Charger, and Vice. I wouldn’t use them, but I can see the appeal.

clairels Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

@Bungo: I think it would be even more embarrassing to bump into another Unique.

Pistachio Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Pretty crazy list, although I’ve always loved Snowy.

labelo Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Like others, Ransom doesn’t surprise me all that much since it was a top 500 name a hundred or so years ago. I think the previous poster is dead-on with Prim–Hunger Games! I still don’t get the appeal of names like “Envie/Envy” or “Vice”–I get virtue names, but I don’t know why you’d want to name your kid for a vice.

indiefendi Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Pistol *rolls eyes*
Happiness (was Felicity so hard?)
Rarity
Rebelle (spelling it in French doesn’t make it any better!!!)

Now, I do actually like Gospel

maggiemary Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I spotted Temprince before and it made my heart sink.

And of course, who can forget, that famous part of London named Kinzington?!

vasilisa Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I’m also outraged by shelly68’s racism, and I’m desperately sick of this kind of clueless sneering at “ghetto” names. I work in schools in the Bronx and Harlem, meeting hundreds of “ghetto” kids each year. These names are in no way representative of my students’ names, which are usually quite beautiful and a lot more original than the tedious Sophia-Taylor-Peyton juggernaut.

Renee5322 Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Rarity is a My Little Pony name! What’s next, “Pinkie Pie”? Or Pynkee Pye…
Jceion is just … I can’t even…
Pemberley isn’t too bad.

linda Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 3:21 pm

This is a completely unacceptable comment to make on Nameberry and I’m not surprised at the reaction it’s gotten. Please refrain from any such comment in the future–that offensive word is hereby banned!

Nymphalis antiopa Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Snowy isn’t that bad. I like Snow better, but Snowy is kind of cute. I will also stick my head in for Pemberly, however I think it masculine. My husband’s great uncle is named Subaru (his mom is Japanese) and it is a semi-common name in Japan, though I wouldn’t personally use it since we drive a Subaru. I like Rarity is a GP kind of way. Maybe would name Sim that, but not a person.

How does one pronounce Jceion? I guess I can give them props for following the i before e rule???

abbijane Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I actually love Prim and Pemberly!!! Probably because Penelope and Persephone are some of my faves, and I like P names. :) And Ransom is on my boys name list! I think it’s different enough without being too “out there”.

RedRobin Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Prim isn’t that bad. Not my style personally, but not all that crazy compared to some of the other names on here.

Aurora Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Ransom is in my Top 5 for a boy, but I wouldn’t use it on a girl. And I think I’m agreeing with the love for Pemberley. It’s a -ley ending place name with a Jane Austen reference, so not too wacky.

I know of a family with a daughter named Psalms. I thought it was weird, but yes, it’s miles better than Envie or Vice. Gospel is actually pretty cool, though I’d expect the family to be Christian.

I can only shake my head over a few of these, though…

jacquigirl Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Some of these are pop culture references. Obviously Prim is from Primrose Everdeen in the Hunger Games, and Vanellope is a little girl in the animated movie Wreck It Ralph. However, I’m not very surprised to see Rydder, Pemberley, Burklee, or Prezlee on here following name trends.

armatron Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Hi! I made an account just to say we named our daughter Pemberley in 2009. My cousin pointed this out to me and I thought I’d take a look. We love the name and I’m happy to see the positive comments about it on here, not that we’ve gotten a negative reaction in general. People usually LOVE it or don’t know what to make of it. We never thought the name was “outrageous” we just thought it was unusual. Our daughter loves her name, and she mostly goes by Pem, but introduces herself as Pemberely. People usually say “Kimberley?” on hearing it the first time, which she thinks is hilarious for some reason. And yes, my wife is a Jame Austin fan, and I too enjoy her books :)

SunKissedChild Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 11:29 pm

@armatron: That’s awesome! My husband and I are big Jane Austen fans too :)

chi1127 Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 12:06 am

Fun list! But Vanellope doesn’t really surprise me. She is a pretty adorable little girl on Wreck It Ralph, and it sounds a bit like Vanessa and Penelope. I’m actually slightly surprised there weren’t more babies named Vanellope.

Charger! Rarity! Come In For Yizzer Tea! | Broadsheet.ie Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 6:13 am

[…] selection, chosen for Nameberry, from the 1400 new baby names (given to five or more babies in 2013) recently released by the US […]

15 Household Items To Give You Some Unique Baby Name Ideas Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 12:02 pm

[…] vegetables and grains. According to the Social Security Administration’s list of 2013 names, posted on nameberry, there were 1,400 names that were given to five or more kids in 2013, meaning that the following […]

The Glass Chicken » Blog Archive » OMG – too funny… Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

[…] Worst New Baby Names […]

You Won’t Believe the Craziest Baby Names of 2013 – The Bump Blog Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

[…] Nameberry chose their list of the most outrageous baby names from last year, and I’m not sure what’s more confusing: naming your baby boy after an SUV or naming your baby girl after the first emperor of western Europe. Take a look: […]

mckaylalove Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 5:09 pm

A few people have said why would name you name a girl (in particular) Pistol? I think naming a kid Pistol is absolutely insane regardless of gender! I’ll never get over some American’s obsession with guns ….

A lot of people are still naming babies after ‘Game of Thrones’ characters | Vogue Entertainment News Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 5:52 pm

[…] film, came out on top. It was given to 63 little girls in 2013 — and zero in 2012, according to Nameberry. The Hunger Games‘ Prim also made that list, inspiring parents to give the name to seven girls. […]

moxielove Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Siqi is a chinese name and Subaru is also the Japanese name for the Pleiades, or the constellation called the Seven Sisters. These two names should be included in the “New to America’s shores” category.

As mentioned, Vanellope and Prim are characters from movies and therefore not too surprising.

The names that most surprise me are the kre8tive spellings that so many parents come up with independently:
Kinzington
Burklee
Jceion

But I find that two most jaw-dropping, head-scratching names are
Tuf
Xzaiden

And I personally have a problem naming a child – or an adult – Pistol or any weapon.

moxielove Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 7:44 pm

And should we start taking bets now as to how many little Khaleesi’s there will be next year? I just saw that it was “trending” on the Nameberry homepage.

A lot of people are still naming babies after ‘Game of Thrones’ characters | King of The Flat Screen Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 9:30 pm

PersephonyHonora Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I actually like Pemberley…But I’m a huge Pride and Prejudice and Austen fan.

Too many morons are having kids – Progress of Man Says:

May 16th, 2014 at 11:13 pm

[…] the list is also full of way too many wretched names. Allow me to just riff on a […]

Door Jam: May 17, 2014 | The Wardrobe DoorThe Wardrobe Door Says:

May 17th, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] OK parents, y’all have got to just stop. I get it you want an interesting name, but Jceion and Zxaiden are not real names. Psalms, Kyndle, Sierraleone, Temprince don’t work […]

Saturday Night Open Thread: Curse of the PopCultured » Balloon Juice Says:

May 17th, 2014 at 11:11 pm

[…] to Nameberry, the most popular new girl’s names of 2013 include Vanellope — apparently inspired by Sarah […]

oiseau Says:

May 18th, 2014 at 11:31 am

@StasMarie It’s racist to say that some of these names are from the ghetto? If anything, that’s a classicist statement, and you’re the racist for assuming she meant a certain race that are stereotypically considered to reside in said ghettos.

On another note, this is a horrible list. Just saying some of these names out loud hurts my ears.

Illabeth Says:

May 18th, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Surely Temprince just points to the poor girls parents inability to spell. Pistol is the one on that list that really makes my heart sink, who names their daughter (or any child) after a weapon? Warrior is almost as bad. Envie, Rarity and Vice just make me shudder. Those poor kids.

And You Thought I Was Exaggerating: Baby Names Say Otherwise | Our House in Aarhus Says:

May 21st, 2014 at 2:34 am

[…] Administration just came out with its 2013 list of baby names, and thanks to this io9 article and Nameberry, we can see that among the Johns and Emmas are these […]

Beyond Rarity | | Dusty Sage Says:

May 21st, 2014 at 11:43 am

[…] not influenced by ponies, but it’s interesting to see that Rarity is [in] a list of baby names! Though I think Rarity would have something to say to people thinking her name is […]

There Were Some Weird And Nerdy Baby Names In 2013 Says:

May 22nd, 2014 at 1:00 pm

[…] a good chance your kid will have a name that’s a nod to your favorite fandom. According to Nameberry, some new and very unusual names cropped up last year as well as a smattering that clearly belong […]

STFU Parents The Future Of Baby Names Says:

May 23rd, 2014 at 10:17 am

[…] well get comfortable with the names of our future leaders, doctors, and celebrities now. President Lloyal, anyone? Oh, and speaking of presidents, if you’re going to give your kids […]

Friday Links: Double The Stuff | TechGump Says: