The Newest Names on Nameberry

comments

18 Responses to “The Newest Names on Nameberry”

evergreen Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 6:38 am

I have come across a couple of girls called Kalani in New Zealand over the years.
I have always liked the idea of Mandala because I think they are so beautiful.
Eris is new to me, I like it very much.

LuMary Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 9:09 am

I would rather choose Michaelina or Michaeline for girls over Michael. With many surname names being unsafe for boys, why disturb the classics?

GrecianErn Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I think Wren for boys would be easier if spelled “Ren” like the main character in Footloose.

TaylorBlueSkye Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I don’t even like Michael in general but on a girl I really really dislike it.

Eris is kind of interesting. I find Wren a little tacky for both genders, just too cutesy for my taste. Pretty Little Liars helped me to get used to it though,

LuMary Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 12:23 pm

TaylorBlueSkye Says:
November 21st, 2013 at 12:14 pm

‘LuMary, I agree with leaving the Classics alone, but “surnames being UNSAFE for boys”? What does that even mean? First of all they are surnames, not boy names in the first place and second, what exactly makes them unsafe? I mean there’s no one stopping anyone from naming their boys Avery, Taylor or Addison.”

I hear what you’re saying, but I personally think it’s better for boys in American culture to have “all-boy” names.

maggiefromcanada Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I like Alcina and Celestina.

Milou is cute but just makes me think of Tintin’s little dog.

LuMary Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 12:31 pm

“What I mean by ‘unsafe’ is that it’s hard to find a surname that won’t be co-opted by girls at some point. Look at what happened to Lindsay, for example. Now the surname list is endless, so it shouldn’t be difficult to find something that likely will stay mainly male like Grant.”

What I meant to say is that there’s no guarantee a surname that sounds more male will remain in the boys camp. But, given that the surname list is endless, you can probably find a “boyish” one that will be held rather uniquely by a son. Even though surnames are neither male nor female, some, like Rutherford seem more ‘boy.” At this point, anyway.

KickinKay Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 2:55 pm

As a New Englander, I’m amazed I’ve never met a little boy named Bruin. That would be so cool!

indiefendi Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been waiting for Sabbath to make it onto here! And an explanation for Michael for a girl (not that I’d ever seriously consider it). Finally!

KateMP91 Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 5:09 pm

I love the name Michael. It’s popularity doesn’t bother me. I just adore it. It does make me sad that it is becoming unisex. I know a five year old girl named Michael. It’s a family name and there were no boys to bear it, and she wears it proudly. But in general, I wish it was just for boys!

tararyaz Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I would love Celestine. Celestina is pretty too. Celestine feels more subdued/sophisticated to me. Somehow that little A at the end makes it too princess-of-the-stars for me :)

jessiemay Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 8:46 pm

The only one I’ve heard in real life is one of my little sister’s best friends named Milou Pia (with brothers Jasper and Piper). She was born in Austria to Australian parents (her dad is from Austria originally) but they live in Australia now. I love it, I think it’s super sweet! Apparently a family they have a mutual friend with saw Milou’s birth announcement in the paper and decided to name their new daughter that too! :) I also think Bruin, Kalani and Wren are lovely, but I prefer Wren on a girl.

rkrd Says:

November 21st, 2013 at 11:19 pm

That’s interesting about Alcina–I’m descended from a woman named Alce who was the first woman executed for witchcraft in America. The court records are lost, so the basis of the charges are unknown, but I wonder if her name had something to do with it.

whisk_me_away Says:

November 22nd, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Love Celestina! My Italian GG was named Celestine. So beautiful :)

_avalanche Says:

November 25th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Actually, Zvezda is not “a traditional established name” in Russia for sure and most likely in other Eastern European countries as well. I’m from Russia and I’ve never met anyone named Zvezda. Russians rarely give children word names, we only have a few traditional ones – Vera (“faith”), Nadezhda (“hope”), Lubov (“love”).

I think Zvezda would be nice as a name though.

tfzolghadr Says:

November 26th, 2013 at 7:07 am

I love a number of these names. I hope Nameberry keeps adding names, as so many ethnic names are missing… there are surprisingly few Turkish and Persian names. Please add more!

Fourthseason Says:

January 22nd, 2014 at 12:51 am

Wouldn’t Alce, Alse, Alcie, Alsie be ALSO variant nicknames for the name Alcyon?

kmdharrington Says:

March 2nd, 2014 at 7:14 pm

I know a little girl named Felix