The Most Outrageous Baby Names of 2012

comments

26 Responses to “The Most Outrageous Baby Names of 2012”

littlebrownpony Says:

December 6th, 2012 at 8:46 pm

My cousin has a daughter named Leigha. There, I said it.

MaraTaylor Says:

December 6th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I went to school with a girl names Zamzam in 6th grade! She was from Somalia too. It’s nice to see the name again. All the other students really liked her name..she got tons of compliments from all of us xD

TaylorBlueSkye Says:

December 6th, 2012 at 10:13 pm

People who name their kids after weapons (whose purpose it is to kill people) are just stupid. It makes me wonder how these children will be raised and I don’t even want to start thinking about that..

Sawdust_and_Diamonds Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 1:23 am

I really don’t understand how Maxwell is considered outrageous. I know 2 female Maxwelle’s in their 20’s and zero male ones of any age..

TheFutureMrsB Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 6:25 am

@TaylorBlueSkye: My boyfriend would name a daughter Katana without a second thought as well as naming his sons Charles Daly (the brand of his first gun) and Samuel Colt (the inventor of the Colt guns). And yes, they would know how to use those weapons. But that doesn’t mean that we’d raise our children to be people who use them just for the sake of hurting others. A name doesn’t mean that their parents will raise them horribly nor does it mean that they’ll raise them well.

And as cool as Kick sounds I couldn’t do it. Or any other nontraditional word name. I just don’t have it in me.

UselessKitty Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 9:57 am

I highly doubt there are many people actually choosing the name Grey/Gray because of 50 Shades. It is just an offshoot of Greyson/Grayson which is a handsome name.

laurakatex Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 11:21 am

My sister is called LINZI, I don’t see how that is a yooneek spelling? I know more linzi spellings than lyndsay or lindsay or linsay. My sister is 24, but maybe it’s a scottish thing.

JenMaselli Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Now I totally wish I would have named one of my girls “Milady.” Missed the boat on that one.

Aurra Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 4:48 pm

@Laura, Linzi isn’t the official spelling or a slight variation- like Lindsey or Lindsay. The most common aspect of yooneek names is to replace common letters/endings for more exotic ones. Like turning the ‘s’ into a ‘z’ and the ‘ey’ ending into an ‘i’.
I know a girl named Leegha. Pn Leah. Her parents look illiterate, even more so than the girls I know named Madysen and Peightyn.

KickinKay Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I saw Wreck-It Ralph and I actually thought Vanellope was really cute. I’ve known two little girls named Vanilla, so Vanellope isn’t that far out of the box. As for Jeremy Sisto’s son, it’s not his middle name that bothers me as much as his first. Bastian? Really would it have been so hard to name him Sebastian? If you say Bastian too fast it sounds like bastard. The poor kid!

Greyer Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Beretta – besides having an unattractive sound IMO – doesn’t bother me in the least. Neither do Colt, Remington, Wesson, Ruger, et c. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Saying that giving your child a name shared by a type of weapon, you condone gun violence is like saying any parent who names their child Charles or Ted condones serial murder (Manson and Bundy).

I also think Zamzam is cute! Wouldn’t use it on my own child but it’s a sweet name I could see being well-liked.

TaylorBlueSkye Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Difference for Charles and Ted is that there are many people with that name, they don’t make you think of serial killers. But if you chose them because you want to name your child after a serial killer, yep I do believe that is horrible and doesn’t exactly show someone’s intelligence. The whole weapon thing might be an American thing I don’t get. I just don’t see why you would name a child after an object that was invented to kill. I mean what positive things are there about them? Of course people are allowed do that. And I’m allowed think that they are stupid.

TaylorBlueSkye Says:

December 7th, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Okay, I think I wrote this being a little too upset, I’m sorry.
What I want to say:
Sorry if I offended someone by calling them stupid. I grew up in a country where you just don’t have guns at home, where you don’t have child memories with guns and I don’t see the appeal in them. That might be different in North America. I don’t believe in naming kids after a weapon, but of cause others can do what they want to do, I’m not a fan because I believe weapons bring a lot of bad things in the world (or people bring it with them). That’s what they stand for for me.

Hala90 Says:

December 8th, 2012 at 3:01 am

Is it bad that I LOVE Sabbath Page? Yeah it probably is, but still :)

ourrune Says:

December 8th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

@ taylorblue I agree with you and i live in north america. I was surprised bristol used a gun name I thought that was tacky too you’re giving your child the idea from the start that guns are cool. what we name our children is what we love feel and believe in. its our “gift” to them some say. people might kill people but they couldn’t without the guns and blades the names just don’t give off a good vibe. doenst mean the kid will be like that at all but I wouldn’t want my kid growing up with a name like that that stands for something like that we have enough corruption in the world to protect them from.

Outrageous Baby Names Of 2012 Says:

December 8th, 2012 at 4:04 pm

[...] Nameberry, the self-proclaimed “go-to site for expert opinion, savvy advice and information on baby names,” compiled a list of the most outrageous baby names of 2012. Boy, is it filled with some doozies. [...]

sabrinafair Says:

December 8th, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I too think Sabbath Page is kind of neat

TexanAmmoMomma Says:

December 9th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

@TaylorBlueSkye I am a tad apalled that you have outright called me stupid, and my children ill-raised. It is not only a part of American heritage, but a constitutional right to own firearms. They are good, strong names. Not all guns are used to kill, and that is not their only intended purpose. My sister is on the USA Olympic shooting team. My children are named after guns. And let me tell you what, they are the most well behaved, mild mannered children you will ever meet. They know gun safety, they know gun laws, and when they need to step up to defend a fellow citizen against crime, or they need to hunt to feed their families, they will be willing and able. Are you a vegan? Do you not eat meat? Firearms are not only weapons for personal protection. They are a wonderful tool for hunting and gathering for our families. I prefer free range venison as opposed to store-bought chemical filled meats. I have also come to the conclusion, that without MSM notifying the general public that these are ‘gun names’ … No one would know the difference. And if you were to meet a “Remy” or a “Kimber” and realize that they are named after a wonderful american tradition, then you would be inclined to say so. If you have know idea what a Kimber is, or a Daisy, or a Beretta, without media telling you so… then why judge? Out of all the horrendous crimes committed in this day and age, please, do tell me… How many of the criminals were named after a dreaded big bad gun? Do your research. Guns don’t kill any more people that rocks, baseball bats, cars, and even pencils do. But I am not one to judge. Name your child as you wish, and raise them as you see fit. DO NOT insinuate that my children are apt to be murders or serial killers because of their namesakes.

TexanAmmoMomma Says:

December 9th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

@Greyer… Thank you for the Ted and Charles. I really did LOL.

@Taylor, I just saw your apology, and I too apologize for jumping on you. I was highly offended. Please realize that growing up around guns, and wanting to protect our constitutional rights, and give our children good strong names; does not set them up for faluire, nor does it mean we are bad parents, or they are bad children.

linda Says:

December 9th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

OK–CAN WE PLEASE BRING THIS GUN DISCUSSION TO A CLOSE NOW!!??

TexanAmmoMomma Says:

December 9th, 2012 at 6:49 pm

@ourrune I agree with you that we name our children after what we love, feel, and believe in. If my beliefs are different than yours, and that makes me tacky, then so be it. I will name my children after what I find fascinating, while others choose colors, fruits, and vehicles. Colt and Ruger do not seem nearly as tacky as other things I have heard. Maybe I am just biased though.

TexanAmmoMomma Says:

December 9th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

@Linda, yes ma’am. Sorry. I had to defend myself haha

Baby Names – The Best and the Worst of 2012 | Skeptikai Says:

December 10th, 2012 at 1:06 am

[...] it’s hard to rank the “weirdness” of recent names. But there are twelve that NameBerry picked. I give a brief explanation or comment for [...]

VOTE ON THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS NAME OF 2012 | FOR REAL BABY NAMES Says:

December 13th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

[...] you read Nameberry’s 12 Most Outrageous Names last week? Hashtag, Beretta, Kick, & Zamzam are pretty [...]

Freddy Says:

May 14th, 2013 at 9:00 am

Kick as a first name has been given to 714 boys in the Netherlands since the 1960’s. Can’t say it’s my cup of tea, but it is an interesting fact.

Freddy Says:

May 14th, 2013 at 9:02 am

In addition to the above, according to the Meertens Institute it is a Frisian diminutive of Cornelius.