The Most Notable Names of 2013

comments

12 Responses to “The Most Notable Names of 2013”

Mischa Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 10:56 am

Some of these names have been around for ages so I don’t necessarily associate them with the people in the photographs (George, Benedict, Silas, Walter, Francis, Margaret, Laura).

Sadly, since we have many Messiahs already running around, it wouldn’t surprise me if we’ll be seeing Lords and Lordes too. Rebel isn’t a word I would even consider for a child. A parent is just asking for trouble with that one.

Mila was well-known in Canada long before Mila Kunis arrived on the scene. It was the name of Prime Minister Brian Mulroney’s wife. She was born in Sarajevo of Serbian descent and her original name was Milica.

FYI – In regard to St Francis, Assisi is spelled with two s’s and then one not Assissi as stated in the blog.

Louisamae13 Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I named my son Walter this year, and I have had tons of people ask me if I am a Breaking Bad fan. I have never seen it. Crazy how pop culture can bump such a classic name. I hope it doesn’t rise too much in the rankings for 2013.

southern.maple Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

How is Ezekiel “surprising” for a show that’s revolved around Judeo-Christian legend for pretty much all nine seasons…?

southern.maple Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 12:35 pm

George, Silas, and Cora are three of my absolute favorites. Of course my favorites would be in line for rises in popularity before I get around to having kids. :p

iwillpraise Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

How is Mila pronounced anyway? Is it MEE-la or MY-la?

Cora and Downton Abbey are my favorites from this list!!!
I now also like Coralie bc of my interest in Cora :)

iwillpraise Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 12:49 pm

**yes, I said that Downton Abbey was my favorite from the list – not as a name, silly – who said favorites could only be names?? ;)

tori101 Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Cool read!!

JH Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I love Frederick, so I’m glad William and Catherine didn’t choose it because I don’t want it to become too popular. I also really like Mila, which is pronounced mee-la.

EmilyVA Says:

December 13th, 2013 at 6:50 pm

The lord on Downton Abbey is an Earl and his wife is a countess, not a Duchess.

AprilRobin Says:

December 14th, 2013 at 1:01 am

My top three were George, Walter, and Mila

My three least favorites were Cora, Benedict, and Kimye

chi1127 Says:

December 15th, 2013 at 9:37 am

I actually associate Walter with Walter Bishop over Walter White, probably because they’re always calling Walter White “Walt”. And I still associate Silas more with Paul and Silas or Silas Marner over “Si”.

RainbowBright908 Says:

December 20th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Francis is an awesome name. Not a fan of many of the Fran- names, but I love Francis for a boy and Frances for a girl. How cool to tell your kid that they share their name with “the most Christ-like of Saints” and a really popular, revolutionary Pope!

Lots of really great names on here.

2013 will go down as the year North became an unusable name for me. It was on my top ten for one-syllable middle names, then along came North West. That ruined it. If they’d gone with Kim’s last name, I would have said, “Wow, what a nice name.”

Rebel Wilson also has siblings Annachi, Liberty, and Ryot (according to wikipedia). No comment from the peanut gallery.