The Baby Namers’ Alphabet

comments

16 Responses to “The Baby Namers’ Alphabet”

Carah Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 3:33 am

My family did the ABC naming thing. Aaron and Benjamin, then for the girls..Alyson, Bethany, Carah! My best friend did the same thing too! Adam and Bret for the boys and Ameri (short for America), Bethany, Charity, Dareka, and Elisabeth.

Abby Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 5:15 am

How fun!

I truly cannot imagine naming twins London and Paris. David and Daniel, okay. Maybe.

Lauren Kay Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 6:09 am

London and Paris. Give me strength. What’s next? Benson and Hedges?

Helena Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 9:26 am

Krystyna is actually the traditional spelling for Christina in Poland (and maybe other countries). Foreign names shouldn’t be considered “youneek.”

pam Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 9:37 am

You’re right, of course, Helena, though I certainly wasn’t trying to say that the foreign or international versions of names were yooneek. I wasn’t aware of this Polish spelling and changed the example.

Tweets that mention The Baby Namers’ Alphabet: Guidance from A to Z – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry — Topsy.com Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 10:35 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Ann Thomas, Pam & Linda. Pam & Linda said: Baby naming guidance, from A to Z http://ow.ly/3LUuO [...]

spotlightstarlit Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

It’s like the 12 Days of Christmas all over again!

I’m glad you chose Ava and Aiden over Jessica and Jacob, which lends itself to a more 90′s style IMO.

Macy Says:

January 28th, 2011 at 3:49 pm

As far as I’m aware, Quinn was amongst the fastest risers for boys, not girls…

Mariah Says:

January 30th, 2011 at 6:35 am

I REALLY REALLY hope my son Quinn’s name doesn’t become the next Leslie. The SSN list has shown the boys are solidly in the lead with this name for some time, so hopefully this Glee stuff will fade…

Macy Says:

January 30th, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Indeed the boys are in the lead by quite a long way, in fact it reached a new high last year. But blogs and magazines keep flogging the “oh my god Quinn is doing so well for girls thanks to Glee” that people actually believe that and probably stopped naming their boys Quinn this year. Its upsetting and annoying.

Leslie is definitely a great example, considering overall more men were named Leslie than women over time, yet its not even considered usable for boys anymore. Its the whole “trendy” thing with girl names, a boy name can chart on the girls side all of a sudden and shoot up much faster than the boys, making a much bigger impact…

Pam Says:

January 31st, 2011 at 8:14 am

Quinn rose 30 places for girls and 22 places for boys, though in 2009 there were still three boy Quinns for every girl. I think what we’ll see in the 2010 stats is a much steeper rise for girls and the pure numbers, at least for newborn Quinns, becoming more evenly split by girls and boys. Quinn has a looooooong way to go to become the next Leslie and I don’t think it’s going there. But, like Rory or Jordan, it’s moving in the direction of being truly unisex vs. mostly male because of the Glee character.

Macy Says:

January 31st, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Rory is a long way from being unisex at this point.

I hope Glee fades away so that Quinn can remain climbing for boys

Leslie Owen Says:

May 9th, 2011 at 12:14 am

I have three sets of twins in my classes this year: Alexis and Alicia, Jamaika and Jameika, and Dyjaun and Dyjuan.

All I can say is “Wow.”

Grace Says:

July 13th, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I am sorry, but I am totally against almost all (girl) K names. Kayla, Kaylee, Kylie…. They all sound trailer park to me. I mean no offence if this is your name (or a loved ones) but this is my honest opinion. I have met a person to fit almost every K name… They’ve never made me feel better about naming my kids Kiki, Karen, Kinsely or Kelly.

Brighton *Bree* Says:

July 25th, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I hate youneek names. For example, Haeleigh, Hailie, Hailee, Haileigh, they are just complicated. What happened to Hailey and Haley??

emilymaryjane Says:

January 22nd, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I know a Cendall Carter. Her mum thought it looked weirder Kendall Carter. Khloe and Kourtney look weird thanks Kardashians for starting the C to K trend