Nephele Berry Juice profile image

Steampunk Baby Names: Victorian tech

posted by: Nephele View all posts by this author

comments

21 Responses to “Steampunk Baby Names: Victorian tech”

Tweets that mention Steampunk Names: Victorian Sci-Fi – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry — Topsy.com Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 2:59 am

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by John Lester and NightsEmbrace, Pam & Linda. Pam & Linda said: Nameberry today:: Steampunk Names: Victorian Sci-Fi http://nameberry.com/blog/steampunk-names-victorian-sci-fi [...]

isabel Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 8:28 am

Sweet list! Mostly guilty pleasures for me, but some of my favorites are there:

boys-
Jules (nn for Julius)

girls-
Arabella, Cecilia, Genevieve, Emmeline…love a lot of them!

Lola Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 9:12 am

Oohh, Ambrose! Ivan, pronounced properly! Jules on a guy! I love Steampunk. :)
Araminta, Cecilia & Lucrezia are some of my absolute favorites for girls! I love this list, thanks Nephele!

Vanessa Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 10:11 am

I never knew I was a Steampunk fan. I’ve always loved Victorian Age science fiction. Now I know there’s a name for it. Thanks Nephele!

Salome Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 10:49 am

Another huge fan of Victorian literature here! I could almost live off of this list.

Boys: Bartholomew is one of my absolute loves. Silas and Jeremiah are close runners up.

Girls: Emmeline, Eulalia, Evangeline… the E’s have it! Agatha and Clementine are both on my short list. Maggie is just a classic.

Chantal Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 12:02 pm

My great-great-great-great grandfather’s name was Granville. Cracked me up to see it on this list!

Trustedwriter Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Wow! I knew I liked steampunk-esque names, but I didn’t think any of the names in my current list of favorites fit that description. Imagine my surprise…Bartholomew and Maxwell are here! They’re both middle names in my “ideal future sibset”. :)

I love a lot of other names here as well, but in many cases they’re a little more out there than my usual style, my husband has turned them down, or they’re too similar to other names (I love, love Emmeline…but I could never have an Emmeline if this baby is a girl, since we’ll be naming her Coraline!).

I am definitely going to get my Steampunk name… :)

Jennie Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Julius with the nn Jules has been on our list for a long time. My husband and I are both science fiction geeks (him more than me) and it’s a great nod to one of the fathers of the genre.

Also, for some reason, I never thought of His Dark Materials as steam punk; it’s one of my favorite series of all time, and now thinking about it, I guess you could classify it as that. But let’s keep Lyra on the down-low. I’ve been wanting to use it for years! Though it might be good to get the word out so people know how to pronounce it properly and I don’t get a million weird looks. Either way, it’s a beautiful name.

Livi Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I was delighted to find Steampunk names in a blogpost, and even more so to see Girl Genius and Steamboy mentioned!
I love steampunk names. I suppose one could say that any Victorian-era name can be considered steampunk.

WildWildWest.org Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Jim West’s partner’s name is spelled incorrectly.

It is ARTEMUS GORDON.

And it is a very kewl name.

linda Says:

February 10th, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Artemus is fixed–thanks WildWildWest.

Linelei Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 1:09 am

Jennie, I feel the exact same way about Lyra. It’s such a wonderful name and such a wonderful character! Let’s keep it quiet. ;)

Minnie Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 5:23 am

Hmmm… Steampunk names have a really gorgeous edge to them. They speak of an era of refinement, of gentile beauty; they seem ever-so-slightly fragranced with lavender. Among the wonderful names here, I have an especial fondness for Minerva. Thank you for this wonderful list, Nephele! And, thank you for bringing “Girl Genius” to my attention – am devouring avidly…

Unusual Baby Names: Real, rare and invented – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry Says:

February 14th, 2011 at 1:12 am

[...] Vash, from Nephele’s guest blog on Steampunk names [...]

Steampunk News » robots and games and names and, er, goats. Says:

February 15th, 2011 at 2:18 pm

[...] Dennard is celebrating Steampunk Month on her weblog, and the folk at Nameberry have come up with a list of steampunk-related baby names suitable for either literary characters or live babies! (Mostly, anyway. I am not responsible for [...]

Steampunk Names « Trial By Steam Says:

February 18th, 2011 at 8:43 pm

[...] over at Nameberry.com has compiled an impressive list of Steampunk inspired names, many of which have some root in proto or modern Steampunk [...]

JuliaDrucilla Says:

April 13th, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hm. Some of these are pretty cool. Here are the ones that caught my eye:
Arronax- I love Journey to the Center of the Earth! This is genius!
Cornelius- Personifies fusty charm, but it’s pretty over the top. The nickname Corny is somewhat unavoidable.
Cyrus- I like this a lot! Never heard it before, though… Hm.
Oswald- This name makes me smile. I might just have to name a pet Oswald some day! (Deffinitely not easy for a real person to carry.)
Silas- Very handsome, sensible but friendly with a slight southern twang.
Socrates- Pretty cool. Really weird. I love unusual names, but I probably wouldn’t go that far!
Cleora- As it turns out, Cleo+Lora=a really nice name! It does sound kinda made up, though.
Eulalia- Gorgeous! One of my newest name crushes!
Genevieve- I know a girl with this name and will be forever envious of her… So elegant!
Jessamine- Too sweet for my taste, but I can see why someone could fall in love with this name.
Lavinia- A nicely balanced name. Pretty and girly without TOO too many frills.
Lucrezia- Lucretia with a bit of ZZZING! I love how it rolls off the tongue.
Parthenia- Unusual perhaps to the point of weird, but spelling and pronounceation look pretty easy, and it is quite a lovely name.

Schall, Rauch und Dampf | Alice Karén Says:

May 10th, 2013 at 12:04 am

[...] Generator, aber dafür eine Namensliste, findet sich bei nameberry.com — teilweise mit Zusatzinformationen, warum sich dieser oder jener Name in der Liste befindet. [...]

Response 4 – Survey of Animation | Anna Fratianni Says:

December 8th, 2013 at 4:18 am

» Steampunk Baby Names: Victorian tech Baby Name Suggestion Says:

September 7th, 2014 at 10:42 am

[…] Are you a Steampunk aficionado? Here’s Nephele’s rich, long list of related choices, from Arronax to Brisco to Zylpha–and some more ordinary names in-between. Nameberry – Baby Name Blog […]

mill1020 Says:

September 8th, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Cool article! I like Silas and Clara.