Scottish Baby Names: the latest from Leith

comments

23 Responses to “Scottish Baby Names: the latest from Leith”

Martha Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 6:50 am

Isn’t it a little inappropriate to put someone’s baby’s FULL name on here as in the case of SAM ALASTAIR OGILVY? I mean, I googled it and it’s a real kid. His full name has no business being on your blog.

Pamela Redmond Satran Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 7:29 am

Ogilvy is the child’s second middle name, not his surname. And, as you know because you googled it, his full name WITH surname is announced in several Scottish newspapers. There’s nothing inappropriate about our posting it. While we welcome comments, please don’t be so rude next time.

namefan Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:02 am

Pam, did you ever get my re-submitted blog draft? I sent it in Word format on Tuesday and you’ve never replied to me (just wondering since you responded the first time within a day, and sometimes spam filters for some reason don’t like my e-mail address).

http://www.legitbabenames.wordpress.com Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:19 am

For some reason, I am not as impressed with Scottish naming trends as I am with the English, but these all deserve honorable mention. Thanks for sharing!

ANONA-prefer the Annona spelling and sans Clark, otherwise, a cool and refreshing sighting
AURELIA ESME
Beatrice Morven
EUPHEMIA BEATRICE (sister of FREYA)-love this and great sibset too!
FREYA CATHERINE
GEORGIA MAGDALENA
INDIE
ISLA CHLOE ROSALIND-this is so perfect!
ISLAY NIAMH
LILY ISABELLA JEMIMA
LUCIA ELIZABETH
NAIMA ELIZABETH
SOPHIE MAGDALENA

ANEIRIN JAMES
ANGUS H
ARTHUR JOHN (brother of DAVINA and TAVISH)-love Davina!
GREGOR STEWART
JUDE ALEXANDER
LODOVIC
MUNGO CAMPBELL (brother of ARCHIE and FERGUS)
RIO-I don’t like Niven, it reminds me of Nevin which is a medical term for a type of mole
ZACCARIA PIO

JNE Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Hmmm…. Mega? It’s new to me. I tried finding it and all I came up with was an Indonesian name… Interesting. Arda and brother Kerim, as well as Gaughan are all new to me – anyone know anything about those names?

Euphemia Beatrice – love it!

Ewan Hugh – a lot of U in there, but I like it.

British American Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:42 am

Herbie! That’s one I’ve not seen around before.

Lots of Alfie and Freddie too – hope the parents or child don’t come to regret not having put the full name on the birth certificate. Ollie as a full name is another surprise to me.

And I still don’t see the appeal of Mungo. It’s not a name I ever heard growing up in the UK.

British American Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:44 am

Oh – just looked up Mungo and it’s the nickname of a Saint. So I guess that’s the appeal of that one.

Andrea Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:50 am

Wasn’t Mungo Jerry one of the names in Cats? I wonder if Euphemia will end up being called Effie. There seems to be a real trend towards nicknames in Britain in general. I’ve always been curious why Freya is so popular there. Was it a traditional name on one of the Scottish isles that used to be ruled by Norwegians perhaps? If the kid’s name is in a newspaper or web site, I think it is fair game. It is public information.

blue Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love:

Catriona Mae/Coco Mae (I have a soft spot for Mae)
Ellie Jane
Euphemia Beatrice (like someone else said, I think this is perfect with Freya)
Harriet Helen (and sister Flora!)
Hazel
Imogen Louise
Millie June (adore this)

Angus John Munro/Angus Robert (love love love Angus)
Connell Matthew William
Mungo Campbell (Mungo is a guilty pleasure of mine)

Great blog! I love hearing about Scottish baby names :)

Elisabeth@YCCII Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 9:21 am

Anona, Euphemia, and Harriet all excite me, A LOT.

How is Gaughan pronounced? Is it like Vaughan?

Sachiko Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 11:45 am

One of my good friends/adopted cousins is named Catriona Mae. I have nothing but good to say about that name. :)

I’m jonesing on all the Isla/Islay’s and Niamh/Niav/Neve’s.

Scottish names have a certain quirk to them that I like, in the same way Cornish and Breton names always strike me as quietly mysterious, and Dutch names as brusque and concerned about not wasting time on frivolities like a second syllable.

I enjoy reading Alexander McCall Smith’s Sunday Philosophy Club series for many reasons, including all the authentic Scottish names.

Elizabeth Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 11:48 am

I love Harriet, Archie and Flora as a sibset.

Also, in response to Andrea’s question about Freya.. I grew up in Scotland, and my sister is called Freya, and she’s now 18. When she was born nobody had heard of her name, it was very unusual, most people didn’t even know how to pronounce it. It’s so weird that it’s getting so popular now.

Taffy Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 1:29 pm

I believe Martha is expressing a general taboo against discussing the names of actual people on naming threads in such a way that the discussions can be googled by others searching for information about the person whose name is the subject of the discussion. Generally, I think it’s out of consideration for the named person, because it’s possible for the discussion to include expressions of dislike.

A newspaper announcement, posted to the web, may put the name in the public domain, but it does not create a forum that invites comment on the name, as is the case here.

Eva Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 3:09 pm

AURELIA ESME IS STUNNING!

Kat Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I know someone whose surname is Gaughan, and they say it like “gone,” as in the case of Vaughan.
Indie, Euphemia, and Zaccaria are all new to my ears. Zaccaria is pretty sounding, but to me, it sounds more feminine.

Adie Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 7:10 pm

i am from scotland and some of these names i have never heard of before! (like Mega and Gaughan – can only presume they are family names or from different cultures, correct me if im wrong!)
another name i’ve been hearing more of recently is Struan (pr. stroo-in) and a pet hate of mine, Shaniece. certainly lots of nicknames about just now (Ellie’s, Izzy’s etc), but i’d love to hear more scottish girls’ names!
hearing a lot of american influenced names just now like Logan, Madison, and all the -ayden names too!
never heard of Ruadhan before but i love it! similar style to Ruairidh which i also love!

Freya Says:

June 4th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Freya is my name! Except its Freya Maureen for me. :)

http://pencilsandwhatnot.wordpress.com/ Says:

June 5th, 2010 at 9:01 am

I jus hope little Mega isn’t chubby when she’s older …

I’m enjoying seeing Euphemia and Anona on there, and Queenie is a guilty pleasure of mine.

Lola is wonderful, but personally Lola Honey is a bit too sickly sweet for me. Indie is adorable, although I’d prefer it as a nickname for India or Indira.

For boys, Herbie and Mungo are out-and-out winners – wonderful.

It’s funny, I always see these nickname names in announcements, but I live in Britain and have not met a single person who just has a nickname name. And I had no idea Isla was quite that popular (although, I presume you haven’t recorded all of the Sophias/Isabellas/Emmas, so it probably appears more popular than it actually is).

Ashley S. Says:

June 5th, 2010 at 1:28 pm

My husband has an affinity for Scottish names–which is probably why we have an Isla Maeve and a Calum Alasdhair in the house.

Andrea Says:

June 5th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

At a guess, the Scottish birth announcements represent the veddy veddy upper class. The American birth announcements of New York multimillionaires might look different from the U.S. popularity list too.

Emz does London Says:

June 5th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Andrea – according to my lecturer (at a Scottish university), Freya’s popularity in the UK can be traced back to the Shetland isles which of course were once considered part of Norway. It’s a lovely name.

I imagine Gaughan is the mother’s maiden name, or perhaps a family name. I’d pronounce it like Gowan (like cow-an) but I could be wrong.

I think a Scottish boy named Jesse might be in for a hard time, since ‘jessie’ is a derogative term used to imply ‘girlyness’; for example, as my dad would’ve said to my brother, ‘it’s just a scratch, ye wee jessie! Stop greetin!” Mind you it’s probably not very PC so wee Jesse might be a trailblazer for more positive forms of fatherly expression :P

Elea Says:

June 6th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Interesting that there are 2 uncommon Welsh names thrown in their — Aneirin & Auryn. It’s good to see they have travelled along with Cerys, Megan, Dylan, Owen, Evan etc.

I also love seeing Euphemia on the list, as this was v. popular in Scotland in days gone by and it was the Scots who coined the nickname Effie.

I have to admit though that, cute as most of the nicknames are, I wish they were used as just that — nicknames and not full names. But, oh well, such is the popular trend. *shrug*

http://pencilsandwhatnot.wordpress.com/ Says:

June 6th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Emz makes a very good point about Jesse, especially as Jessie was (I don’t know if it still is, but it definitely was in my Scottish grandmother’s) a very popular Scottish name for girls.