Sasha, Mars, and Wilburn: Strange names, or tomorrow’s Top 100?

comments

17 Responses to “Sasha, Mars, and Wilburn: Strange names, or tomorrow’s Top 100?”

indiefendi Says:

March 30th, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Mars is weird but actually not that bad imo. It’s kinda like the more quirky Céline/Selene. Or in the same vein as Rocket. I actually do kinda like it.

nat108 Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 4:56 am

As a Bruno Mars fan, I have Mars on my favorites list (boy or girl). I also like it as a nn for Marley or Marlowe

I’m guessing the cake said “Baby Wilburn” because they haven’t found a fn but will use the father’s real surname. But if I’m wrong- Wilburn Cash is an awful name

jem Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 5:26 am

I love Harriet and Eloise so, so much! My cousins (who are sisters) are Harriet and Eloise (they’re 13 and 11 respectively).
I also adore Hugo. One of my absolute favourites.

Abby Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 5:41 am

@Jem – Your family has great style! Love Eloise and Harriet together.

@nat108 – I think you’re probably right about the cake … actually, I sort of hope you’re right about the cake. And I can’t see someone who chooses the surname Cash naming his son Wilburn. Then again, Wil is kind of great, and Wil Cash sounds like a cowboy …

Trix Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 9:09 am

My name is Beatrice, and when I was growing up it was a really uncommon name. I never met anyone with the same name as me, and people were always commenting on how pretty and unusual it was. Now it seems to be really quite popular again.

Saracita00 Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 10:17 am

When I was growing up, EVERYONE thought that my father had the weirdest name. They couldn’t pronounce it. They couldn’t even comprehend the name we were saying until we spelled it.

Dad’s name? Ethan. How times change.

By the way, I was unreasonably excited when I saw Delphine at the end of today’s list…and then slightly crushed to find that it hadn’t actually been used. Such a lovely name…although I do wonder if mean kids would change it to “dolphin.”

Shelbi Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 10:38 am

I love the Hemsworth twins’ names!

KateMP91 Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 11:05 am

A couple days ago, I wasn’t too fond of Mars. Now, I haven’t only become used to it, I’ve grown to like it!

marypoppins Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 11:18 am

I’ve been seeing Eloise and Tristan – and the variation Tristram – quite a lot in British baby name announcements, whereas not so long ago everyone was just called Callum or Caitlin. Also, I just LOVE the sib-set Elliot, Hugo and Clementine. All favourites of mine, all sadly vetoed by the husband.

tk. Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I’d love to meet a boy called Sasha! And I’m mama to a six week old Martin nicknamed Mars.

tk. Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 2:08 pm

And Sarah, that is too funny about Ethan!

Abby Says:

March 31st, 2014 at 5:49 pm

@tk. Martin nn Mars? That’s out of this world! :)

axps123 Says:

April 1st, 2014 at 12:11 am

I think it’s so funny that Blake Anderson named his baby girl Mars; my SO’s absolute favorite name for a girl is Mars, and he LOVES Workaholics. My compromise is an Mar- name, like Marceline, Marcella, Margaret, Marigold…

peach Says:

April 1st, 2014 at 12:07 pm

As a child in the 80′s in California my name was so uncommon I never met another Addie my own age. I heard a few people say they had a great grandmother or such with the name (or Adeline which is what most people assumed my “real” name was). Although I felt left out name wise with no cute necklaces or keychains bearing my name, I was also glad I wasn’t “Jennifer M.” in school. And after people acclimated to my unusual name I always got positive comments, cute, sweet, pretty…

In recent years I am amazed how often I hear moms calling “Addie” although most seem to be nicknamed for Addison, Adalyn, etc. Still my name has gone from very rare to relatively common and either way that is okay with me.

jmsouthern Says:

April 1st, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I work in the office at a gymnastics academy with 2000 students; I hear a lot of names. I’ve been seeing Delphine quite a lot lately, and I really like it.

Waverly123 Says:

April 1st, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I know a little girl named Marlowe nn Mars or pet name Mars Bar. It totally fits her. And she’s not a baby either, she’s 10 years old! I can totally see Mars becoming more popular for girls. Once people get tired of Flower names, the next logical step would be word names, Greek god names, or celestial names. Mars fits into 2 of these categories. I totally see it gaining popularity. I don’t think it’ll be a top 100 name, but definitely top 500 – just give it 10-15 years.

Waverly123 Says:

April 1st, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Also, Mars sounds masculine, but unisex names are trendy! There are lots of Harper’s and Harper sounds as masculine as Mars to me. So why not Mars? I think it’s cute.