rebekah83 Berry Juice profile image

Old Testament Baby Names: On choosing Job

posted by: rebekah83 View all posts by this author

comments

15 Responses to “Old Testament Baby Names: On choosing Job”

SunKissedChild Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 12:45 am

I adore the name Job! I think it’s a fantastic name and Job from the Bible is such a inspiration and a great namesake for any boy.
We had Job short-listed until a dear friend of ours used it for her boy, but it suits him so much, and I love to hear the name being used :)

Giinkies Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 12:54 am

I actually saw this name on here the other day and I really liked it. At first I pronounced it like the occupation, but I grew up in a religious family so I self-corrected the pronunciation. It is a really nice name and if you live in a religious area I think people should be familiar enough with the name for it to be fine. I don’t like the unique spelling of Jobe though. Although he did suffer, we all face challenges in everyday life and I prefer to focus on his devout faith despite circumstances.

kswalker Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 1:52 am

Job is a handsome, strong name with a wonderful back story! Good for you for sticking to your guns! Also, your little Joby is adorable! Congratulations!

IsabelleMarie Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 2:05 am

I think Job Marcellus is quite a lovely name. Love the biblical namesake as well.

Poppy84 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 6:24 am

I actually quite like the name Job! I wonder if my husband would be on board to use it in the middle spot for a potential second son? But then, I am also campaigning for Jemima (one of Job’s daughters) in middle spot if we ever have a daughter (the book of Job holds special significance to us).

loislane1222 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 6:31 am

I am so happy you went with Job! It is such a strong, masculine, underused Old Testament gem. Congratulations on a beautiful baby and a beautiful name!

Admittedly, I have a soft spot for Old Testament names. I’m still trying to convince my husband that Saul should be at the top of our list. Abraham and Jonah are also tops … Although I was concerned about teasing with Abraham since the word “bra” is in it.

Anyway, I am so happy you went with your gut and your heart. Job will move mountains!

Jeanne6629 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 10:09 am

I am a self-corrector. I read the name before I thought about the title or premise of the post and stopped myself almost instantly from saying ‘job’. And then thought that I was happy to hear it and surprised that it isn’t more popular. A meaningful name with a light-hearted nn, much along the lines of Jacoby/Jacob. Congrats on sticking to your guns.

PHQ9 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 11:31 am

I love the name. I have to ask, were you in Job’s Daughter’s? Also the same question for Poppy. If you mention Job not a lot of people know who he is and the trials he went through. I can recite the entire story from memory. May he have patience and faith =)

ruolan Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Rebekah, Job is a terrific name and he has a great namesake. I think society places too much value on an easy, rewarding life, but honestly an easy life makes for lazy and faithless people. May your little Job face the trials of life with honor and faithfulness!

nlane825 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Job is a great name! It makes me sad that people don’t like it and that it isn’t used a little more. I am glad to see parents raising their children in a Godly manor since it seems as if more parents are just teaching their kids the ways of this world. So thank you for that. He is adorable by the way! Congratulations!

Poppy84 Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Am I that obvious PHQ9? Yes, I was, as were my sisters, sisters-in-law and my best female friends.
But even if I weren’t, I studied Job at bible study, and he is a pretty great namesake. It is unfortunate that there is a pronunciation issue, but I think there are so many more redeeming qualities to Job that outweigh that.
Micah and Jonah are two other great Old Testament names – though neither are as underused as Job.

KaylaC Says:

March 24th, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Love the name Job and am glad you stuck with it. I see no problem with the name at all. I have two family members (father and son) named Job. The younger being Job Thomas. To my knowledge they have never had a problem with the pronounciation of the name, but we do live in the Bible Belt. Congratulations on your little one. And a wonder namesake to be proud of.

mill1020 Says:

March 25th, 2014 at 10:41 am

What a cute little guy! I’m glad you chose a name that has so much significance for you and many others.

rebekah83 Says:

March 25th, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for all the encouraging comments. It’s been interesting to see a renewed reaction to his name, and fun to have a chance to explain our thought-process behind his naming. PHQ9, I’m afraid I’ve never heard of Job’s Daughters.

raevynstar Says:

March 25th, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for choosing this name! It’s my favorite Bible name, and I’m really glad to hear about a modern person with the name. :)