New Routes to Old Nicknames

comments

9 Responses to “New Routes to Old Nicknames”

Caterina Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Just a nitpick: Lucy is not a nickname, it is a full name in its own right.

Nan is a nickname for Anne, as is Nancy.

linda Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 12:24 pm

This is true, but although Lucy is a name in its own right, it did come to be used as a pet form of Lucille (as in I Love Lucy/Lucille Ball) and in the modern era, Nan is used as a short form of Nancy, despite its origins, and rarely as as a nickname for Ann. In this case, we were dealing with current usage.

Elisabeth@YCCII Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I talk to parents all the time who are having this problem.

Maggie is a big one for those who don’t care for Margaret. I love Magdalena for that one. Josie could be for Jocelyn rather than Josephine (though I prefer the latter).

Some of the full names on this list are really spectacular!

rachelmarie Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 7:33 pm

I love the name Cormac. I knew a kid named Cormac and thought it was the coolest name ever. Haha.

Donald is my grandfather’s name, and I like the nickname Don, but hate Donald. Donovan is a great way to still honor him.
Great suggestions :)

linda Says:

February 2nd, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Thanks!

Jenmb Says:

February 3rd, 2009 at 1:17 am

Any suggestions for Nate? I love that name but not so much Nathan/Nathaniel

Pamela Says:

February 3rd, 2009 at 11:13 am

How about Maxfield for Max? It’s my son’s name and everyone always “ooohs” about it when they hear his full name.

keyroses Says:

February 6th, 2009 at 11:44 am

Love this list! We named our first Eliana (nn Ellie) and like that she can go by a more unusual or common name depending on her age/personality. We’re pregnant with our second and will go with Matthias (Matt) or Josiah (Joey) for a boy…we’re still on the fence with a girl name, but we definitely want it to follow the same idea.

aunt_ning Says: