NameFreak! Berry Juice profile image

Names on the Cusp

posted by: NameFreak! View all posts by this author

comments

11 Responses to “Names on the Cusp”

Maple10 Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 7:24 am

Aurelia was one of my top choices, but I decided against it because of pronounciation issues. My husband and I couldn’t agree on how to pronounce it, so I don’t see how strangers could

stephykneejo Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 9:17 am

Aurelia always reminds me of the word areola. Yikes. That could be an issue along with pronunciation. I expect to see a surge in Everly this next year, as it was thrust into the forefront by the Tatums. I love the name Lachlan, and Colson. However, the name Colson is too closely related to the last name of a boy I grew up with. Cute name, nonetheless.

upswingbabynames Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I also felt certain… absolutely certain… that Lachlan would hit the top 1000 in 2012 and I was so wrong. I’ll be watching next year!

GrecianErn Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 10:56 am

My son has a friend named Meleinna. Pronounced the same as Milena. It’s a very pretty name on a stunning little girl.

I kind of like Boden…

Lea Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I hope Aurelia doesn’t rise too much more, in a selfish way I don’t want it to become popular score I get the chance to use it! I was surprised Gerard wasn’t on the 1000, pretty classic but not too common.

alphabetdem Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Looove Aurelia and Lyra. I also like Milena and Oakley, but for other people.

Everly, or Everleigh, on the other hand…. I’m amazed how many people don’t google their future baby’s names. I’m also amazed anyone would want that name for their daughter, considering it came into usage because it was the name of a high-priced, nationally famous brothel in Chicago in the 19th century. A simple search for “Everleigh” will bring up the Everleigh Club as the second result!

Gigi_mk Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I love Jericho!

EmilyVA Says:

July 24th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Aurelia and Thiago are both names I would think it’s hard to pronounce. (I have no idea how to pronounce thiago.)

Oakley is one I picture on a girl as in Annie Oakley.

I like Milena and Lyra (although neither is a favorite of mine.) I definitely think Lyra has top 1000 potential.

I could see Imogen, Antonia, and Octavia all eventually joining the top 1000. I personally think top 1000 isn’t that popular. Top 100 on the other hand…

tori101 Says:

July 27th, 2013 at 7:12 am

Ah interesting blog!

I really love Aurelia, Lyra & Milena.

For boys I really love Oakley & Jericho

Everly is growing on me but I prefer the ‘more traditional’ choice of Evelyn.

CsprsSassyHrly Says:

September 13th, 2013 at 2:29 pm

My great-grandmother’s name was Aurelia. It had been my choice for a daughter’s middle name, as a way to honor her, along with the name of my other great-grandmother, Elena. Elena Aurelia… Which was all good and fine and still on the table should I ever have a second hypothetical daughter…

iwillpraise Says:

December 12th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

My favorites from this list are:

-Ellison – but it’s all boy to me!
-Milena – really like how this one rolls off the tongue
-Oakley – but it’s all girl to me! one of my favorite nature names (and I’m not a huge fan of nature names!)
-Boden – I wouldn’t normally be drawn to this, but the more I read this article and said it in my head, the more I liked it!
-Jericho – for some reason, this brings up images of Gideon (I know, totally different story!! One is the city destroyed by Israel, the other is the “Valiant” warrior chosen by God to destroy the Philistines), but between the 2, it seems that I really prefer Jericho. nn could be Jer or Jeri which is a cool twist!
-Lachlan – have loved this one (as a GP) for a couple years now, along with Leland