Nameberry Picks: 20 Best Philosophical Baby Names

comments

11 Responses to “Nameberry Picks: 20 Best Philosophical Baby Names”

Charlotte Vera Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 4:15 am

The professor of my required university philosophy class introduced me to the thoughts of Alvin Plantinga, his favourite contemporary analytic philosopher.

Hannah Arendt has been described many as a philosopher, although she herself disliked the term and preferred to be known as a political theorist.

Hildegard of Bingen (philosopher, Christian mystic, and Benedictine Abbess) might not have the most wearable name, but she is also known by the more user-friendly Sybil of the Rhine.

Ayn Rand is possibly 20th century’s most famous female philosopher.

Incidentally, I know a female Seneca — I’m not sure that her parents were familiar with the historical figure.

Valentina Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 6:24 am

I love Ludwig (when pronounced the German way). Zeno is also cool, and Noam.

Lola Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 9:05 am

Anselm’s a huge favorite (and is the family patron saint) as is Philo & Blaise. :D
Niccolo intrigues me, as does the entire Machiavelli family. What an interesting lot they were.

Simple Lucius seems a bit more wearable than Lucretius too. Might just be me, though. And Sibyl thrills me from the few girls.

Lovely set of names today!

pdxlibrarian Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 10:11 am

Some more suggestions:

William James (maybe it won’t be an obvious tribute, but both first and last names are eminently usable)

Henry David Thoreau

John Dewey (Dewey is pretty cute)

A second vote for Hannah Ardent (despite her protestations) and another suggestions on the women’s side, Simone de Beauvoir (LOVE her first name).

And one might check out the character name list for the TV show Lost — packed with brilliant name references to philosophers. Desmond David Hume, anyone?

pdxlibrarian Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 10:12 am

Just saw that you already got Simone de Bouvoir. Including all her names meant that I didn’t recognize it when scanning down the list. :)

kgcg31 Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 10:33 am

I love the name Soren . . . and the tie to Kierkegaard just adds to an already great name.

Lisa Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Simone is our 8 month old’s MN, partly for de Beauvoir. Soren was high on our boy list for her, and Blaise was an early contender for both our older son and 2nd baby. For us at least, many of these names are highly usable and have great historical reference without sounding elitest.

Meg Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I like Emerson, as in Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Leila Says:

March 29th, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I quite like Blaise, Augustine, Simone, Philo, and Zeno. Also, I think that in the same vein as Philo, Hypatia could be included.

Chris Says:

May 21st, 2011 at 8:21 pm

No René Descartes?

UniqueNameLover Says:

September 25th, 2011 at 7:48 pm

A few weeks ago, I met a guy named Aristotle. How awesome is that?