Mother’s Day Baby Names: Celebrating new celebrity moms

comments

9 Responses to “Mother’s Day Baby Names: Celebrating new celebrity moms”

sarahmezz Says:

May 10th, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I’m pretty sure Sienna Miller’s daughter’s name is Marlowe Ottoline.

alphabetdem Says:

May 11th, 2013 at 2:08 am

Love Cyrus, Violet and Penelope! And I really like Lincoln– on a boy (as established on a long forum post…).

Marlowe, Olive, Poppy and Lorenzo are cute, but not one’s I’d use. Even Tennessee I kinda like. It’s offbeat, but has an established history to back it up.

Clover is just too cutesy on a child for me. Better as a nickname, or on a pet. I just can’t imagine a 25 year old Clover.

All in all, the celebs did well this year.

Trillium Says:

May 11th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I am so bummed that a celebrity used Ottoline :( It was my sneaky secret off the family tree and I will be crushed if I have to justify my future daughter’s name “No…not because of Sienna Miller…” Siiigh. That’s the problem with getting attached to a name’s obscurity, you never know when it’ll jump out of nowhere!

Gretel Says:

May 11th, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Yeah, never making a naming decision on the basis of how rare it is, because you never know when it’ll show up on the scene and what it’ll be associated with.

Always pick names because they’re meaningful to you, whether they’re super popular like Emma or obscure (then, if they acquire some unforeseen and unwelcome connotation, you at least have some justification for why you picked it other than, “I liked how unique it was”).

So, Trillium, I doubt you’ll ever run into more than a couple people who know the middle name of Sienna Miller’s baby, but if they do, at least you’ll have your family’s history to quickly call upon and explain your choice. No biggie.

I love Lincoln on a girl; Cyrus and Marlowe are cool too; Clover is pretty and not as ‘little girl’ sounding as Poppy or Lily, but I actually prefer her middle name more (except spelled Clementine); Penelope is probably the nicest name I’ve heard associated with the Kardashian clan; Olive has a lovely vintage connotation for me and is a nice spin on the popular Olivia; I like how Poppy James’ middle name kinda offsets her given name’s cutesiness. The place names, Memphis and Tennessee, are not my cup of tea, but learning of the personal connection for Reese makes me appreciate her choice more. All in all, some nice celebrity names – I love the trend towards vintage away from outlandish look-at-me! inventions that had previously prevailed.

Star_Girl Says:

May 12th, 2013 at 7:55 am

I like Cyrus and Lincoln-on a boy. Violet is cool, and Clover was a character in Totally Spies but there’s NO WAY I’m using that name. Olive is a character in A.N.T. FARM but people my mom’s age would associate it with Olive Oyl. Memphis and Tennessee are bad.

Unique Baby Name Choices Made By Celebrity Moms This Year – Huffington Post | The Memphis News Press Says:

May 12th, 2013 at 9:21 am

[...] Mother’s Day, we salute those celebrity moms who have given birth to their starbabies given final year during this time — and in sold those who have given [...]

Unique Baby Name Choices Made By Celebrity Moms This Year | RobertJamesTV Says:

May 12th, 2013 at 10:21 am

[...] Mother’s Day, we salute those celebrity moms who have given birth to their starbabies since last year at this time — and in particular those who have given [...]

tori101 Says:

May 12th, 2013 at 11:37 am

Ah love so many of these choices! This blog/post seems to show that actually celebrities choices are pretty fab!

yw2 Says:

May 12th, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I love Cyrus and Violet. I honestly don’t like boy names on girls, sorry folks.