March Names: From Lion to Lamb

comments

16 Responses to “March Names: From Lion to Lamb”

spotlightstarlit Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 2:03 am

I really love Ariella, but not as much as I love Mirabella, I suppose I could do both, technically one is a Bella and one is an Ella, but it is a tad forced.

My camera’s name is Kefira Posy and I call her Kiki.

I love Llewellyn!

Linelei Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 3:43 am

Love lion names! But you forgot a good one: Lavi. My Israeli friend names her son this, and it is absolutely adorable.

SarahSed Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 8:27 am

I find myself sincerely wishing that Disney had left Ariel alone. It’s such a nice strong boy’s name (when the first syllable sounds like ARE and not AIR). I have horrible taste in names though. I’m still mourning the loss of Whitney to the girls side.

Hoodie Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 8:47 am

I do think Leon is ready for a comeback! But I disagree about Leona; it has a lovely sound, and I think the youthful singer Leona Lewis has helped to bring it decidedly out of grandparent mode. I think it’s more in line with the hip Leon than the nerdy Leonard.

And since watching the King’s Speech, the name Lionel is growing on me. I like it even more knowing he was a Round Table knight!

Elle Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 9:50 am

Some very lovely names here…

Leo is both sweet and strong at the same time. Great name!

Leonora is just divine. I would love to see more names similar to this replace the overly done Lillian/Lily.

Kefira intrigues me

Lev is another sweet and strong name. What a change one letter can make from Levi to Lev!

Agnes is just darling…but I don’t know if it would ever catch on here in the US.

Lola Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 10:34 am

Well, simple Leo’s long been a love, mine’s almost 25! I like Leon, He’s just lovely. I have a blue dragon puppet named Llewellyn, I got him as a present when I was 19. So that’s about how long I’ve liked Llewellyn! From the girls: Leonie, Oona & Agnes are loves. Can’t use Leonie, not with a Leo already (still trying to justify Cleo!) but Oona & Agnes are still in the game. (Penelope Oona Violet & Agnes India Frances) Love them!

Lisa Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Agnes might make in-roads due to the cute little girl in the movie Despicable Me (Edith and Margot, too). Just watched the Incredibles with my 5 year old; it was made in 2004 & the kids were Dash, Violet, and Jack, names that are now quite popular among a certain crowd.

I like the European pronunciation (Ahn-yess), but can’t get past the Ag- beginning in the US pronunciation.

lili Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 1:38 pm

I really like Leander, but I’ve had to dismiss it because my own name is in there. I feel it would be too weird to name a son something so close to my own name. Boo.

Stefanie Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 2:00 pm

My new favorite name lately has been Lenora.

I can’t get beyond the fact that to me Leon is my grandmother’s 80-something year old neighbor, so I don’t think it’ll ever work for me.

One of my best friends growing up (in the 70s and 80s – way before the Little Mermaid came around) was named Ariele. I’ve always liked it for a boy or girl.

Macy Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Love love love Ariel, on a boy obviously. Its a shame Disney damaged this name, but its still charting for boys in the US, and doesnt seem to be leaving anytime soon. Plus, its a popular boys name everywhere else in the world, which is a plus.

CountryLizB Says:

March 1st, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I like Lionel, Una, and Leonard. And lately Rachel has started to grow on me a little.

iris1973 Says:

March 5th, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Love these names…wouldn’t they be more appropriate for the late July/August/Leo babies? ;)

linda Says:

March 5th, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Yes, Iris–that’s true too.

Hannah @A Mother in Israel Says:

March 7th, 2011 at 4:19 am

I host an Israeli baby name forum and someone was asking about spring names. Nitzan means bud, Kalanit is anemone and Smadar is a nascent fruit–all popular girls’ names.

Hannah @A Mother in Israel Says:

March 7th, 2011 at 4:21 am

I should add, Kefira is the feminine of Kfir, meaning lion, but it also means heresy so I don’t recommend it. Kfir for a boy is okay.

Hannah @A Mother in Israel Says:

March 8th, 2011 at 6:01 am

I thought of a few more Israeli lion/lamb names:

Lavi–boy or Livia–girl. Male and female lions.
Talia is a female lamb.
Gur is a cub, a boy’s name.

Livia is a bit old fashioned here now. but the others are popular.