Love the name, hate the nickname? Or vice versa….

comments

147 Responses to “Love the name, hate the nickname? Or vice versa….”

inkonherfingers Says:

January 14th, 2014 at 11:58 pm

I love Elizabeth, but I’m not a fan of Ellie and I hate Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Betsy, and the other variations. I love James but despise Jim, Jimmy, and Jamie. And the other way around: I love Maggie but don’t like Margaret, and I adore Finn but not Finnegan or Finnian.

inkonherfingers Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:00 am

As for myself, I like my formal name, Anne, but I strongly dislike the pet name I’ve always been called, Annie. I’ve dealt with it by putting up with Annie until I go to college, at which point I will switch to Anne.

Mrs_Darling Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:08 am

I love Madeline, but don’t really like Maddie. There are other possible nicknames, but that one is everyone’s automatic default.

528harrison Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:11 am

I love the NN Elle (I have since before Legally Blonde) but not a single one of the possible formal names have grown on me.

AnnieMarie Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:16 am

I have this issue with Charlie… LOVE Charlie, HATE Charles.

cadeence Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:17 am

I love the name Callie, but I hate Callista, Calliope and Caroline. I found the name Caitlyn and Callie seems wearable as a nickname for Caitlyn.
For boys, I love Fred, but hate Frederick.

LydiaHumphreys Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:59 am

For girls, I love Rebecca, but not Becca or Beck, Molly, but not Mary, Isabel but not Izzy or Belle or Bella, and Amelia, but not Amy or Mia or Mellie.
For boys, I love Anthony but not Tony, Freddie but not Frederick, Jack but not John, Colin and Nico but not Nicholas, Marty but not Martin, and Teddy but not Theodore.
It’s basically switched for guys and girls. I love full names for girls, most of the time, and I love nicknames for boys, most of the time.

banomi Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:02 am

Edward is a family name, but I couldn’t stand my son being called Ed or Eddie. Ned and Ted are OK, but not great either.

AbbyNu Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:08 am

I was just thinking about this! I love the name Antonia, but don’t like the Toni nickname on a girl. Daphne, too. Would people call her Daffy?

On the other hand, my mother loved the name Abby but hated Abigail, so she just named me Abby! I don’t think there’s anything wrong with going straight for the nickname if it’s what you intend to use in the long run, as it will save them from having to correct people.

calypsotheoneandonly Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:13 am

I usually love nicknames more the full names they’re traditionally assigned to.
I love Penny but not Penelope, Ella but not Eleanor, Molly but not Margaret or Mary, Libby but not Elizabeth…the list goes on.
I don’t actually like a lot of nicknames for boys, so at least I don’t have that problem :P

AggieLou Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:02 am

My husband is named Stephen. His mother absolutely adored the formal name, but really disliked the very common ‘Steve’. She opted, instead, for the far less intuitive nickname Shep. She said it was very difficult to correct friends and family when he was very young – and it took about four years to get everyone on board – but today he is known almost exclusively as Shep. It suits him far better than Steve, and my MIL says that all of the headaches in the beginning were complete worth giving her son a name that she loved.

crispy Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:29 am

I hate my full name and have always gone by my shorter nickname. I introduce myself with my nickname, use it on applications, forms, etc and know that any time my actual name is used it must be terribly official/legal (i.e. Passport).
Even my parents weren’t enamoured with my full name and called me by my nickname from day 1. I like that they gave me an option though.

And I note, my nickname is the “usual” that one would get from my fullname, but I have had no issue, and can’t remember the last time I had to correct anyone.
So when I have children, if I like a nickname name I will probably use a full name (even if i don’t love it) on the birth certificate and refer to them by the nickname. Afterall s/he may or may not have my taste in names, but at least I provide them with some options and flexibility.

megank4 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:51 am

I would personally go for a longer name that has several possibilities.
Just because the parents like one version, doesn’t mean the kid will, and vise versa.
Better to give them a choice. It is their name after all.

They might want to be “Alex” when a kid, but prefer “Alexander” in a professional capacity or “Xander” as a teenager.

AggieLou Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:03 am

And, to add to my previous post, the very few people who do not call my husband Shep (namely his grandparents), call him by his full formal name of Stephen. No ‘Steves’ from anyone!

amc630 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:07 am

I am okay with my full first name, Angela, but have never liked being called Angie. I have an aunt who, when her son was born, loved the name Andrew but hated the nickname Andy. She chose to name him Drew instead. My middle name is Maye, which doesn’t have a nickname, and I’ve preferred that to my 1st name since adulthood, even though no one calls me by it.

nativoyoung Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:31 am

I have an Emeline and dislike all nicknames (for pretty much every name) so I’m pretty firm that she gets called by her full name. So far so good but I will lose a lot of control as she gets older. I hate it when people call my daughter, Harriet, Harry. What?? I was also floored when someone asked if she could call my daughter Miriam “Mimi.” Blech. I think assuming a nickname is very poor manners and try to always call a child by the name the parent uses.

On the other hand, I love names that sound like nicknames when they are the actual given name. Love Theodore and Theo equally, for example, or Emma or Molly or Finn–I would just give my child the name I wanted them called and skip the nickname.

The only exception I can think of is a lady I know who named her daughter Gracie. I would have gone with Grace and let the girl grow into the woman who can choose a less girly name. Is there always that one exception or am I a hypocrite? Hard to say. :)

Jwhit16 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:37 am

When I was born my mom liked the name Jessica but hated the nickname Jessie. She and my dad’s sister didn’t get a long and she made the mistake of telling her not to call me Jessie. Of course she did and unfortunately it rubbed off on some other family members too. Figures.

ClaraOswinOswald Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:50 am

Love the nn Kit, hate Christopher and REALLY hate Christian D:.

SunKissedChild Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:10 am

I love the name Charlotte and the nickname Charlie, but absolutely hate the nickname Lottie. I also love the name Matilda and nickname Matti, but really don’t like the nickname Tilly. I really don’t know how I would put up with people saying the other nicknames :O

amandaaylwin Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:27 am

Love the name Frances, hate the nn Fran. That’s why it has got middle spot for this bub and not first. Really considering Miriam for this bubs first name…but I would want to go by the nn ‘Miri’ or ‘Mim’. I cant decide!

Hides Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:29 am

I love the name Nathaniel but dislike ‘Nat’ or ‘Nate’

Erinm Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:30 am

inkonherfingers I agree 100% for almost all of yours! In particular, love James but not a fan of Jim or Jimmy or Jamie (though I don’t mind just plain Jay).

In addition;
Love Elle but not a fan of Ellie or Ellen
Love Catherine but don’t like Cathy (Kate is ok)
Like Elizabeth but not a fan of Liz. Would go with Eliza.
Love Aurora but wouldn’t like Rory
Stephen is a perfectly good name but not a fan of Steve
Love Lily but don’t like Lillian
Love Leo but not a fan of Leonardo or Leonard
I’m sure there are many others

My favourite girl’s name at the moment is Evangeline. Because I love the full version, and the possible nicknames Eva, Eve, Evan, Angel

TeensieTraveler Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 6:15 am

Love Donovan but dislike Don and Donny

northernlights Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 6:17 am

Love Genevieve, hate Gen! Thinking about getting around it by using “Evie” from birth and not giving other people a chance to use the more intuitive nickname.

sarah15 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 6:23 am

I like Nate, but not so much Nathaniel.
I like Donovan, but not Don or Donny (would probably use Van as a nn).
I like Raff/Rafe, but not Rafferty.
I love Rhiannon, but would not like her being called Annie.

ccomp12 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:02 am

Love Felicity but dislike Lissa, Lissy, and Fee. Love Timothy but definitely not Tim or Timmy.

GoodHope Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:36 am

I love Alexandra, my mother’s middle name, but I hate the thought of Lexi so much that–even with all of Alexandra’s other nickname possibilities–I’ll only consider it as a middle name.

On the flip side, I love Sam and Tess, but not Samuel and Theresa/Tessa. I don’t buy in to the “multiple options” reasoning behind always going with the most formal choice, so I’d just Sam or Tess on the birth certificate. IMO, they’re the best kind of nickname-names: very wearable, not juvenile, not silly.

findemaxa13 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:36 am

I like a lot of the nicknames for Elizabeth–Libby and Betsy in particular–but really strongly dislike Elizabeth itself. I love Nathan and Nathaniel but not Nate or Nat. I like Michael, but absolutely hate Mike, Mikey, or Mickey. Theodore is on my list mostly because I absolutely love Ted and Teddy, but the name itself has grown on me a lot.

befx217 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:42 am

I love Charlotte but hate Lottie and Charlie!

nhartley10 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:55 am

I love Patrick, but hate Pat

chagger Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:05 am

The only nicknames I really dislike are lazy ones. My name is Courtney, and it drives me crazy when someone calls me Court. I just don’t like how it sounds, and I don’t have a real reason for hating it so much. But I’ve found that simply telling someone I dislike it solves the problem, easy fix. I’m also finding that I dislike family members that spend very little time with my son calling him by a nickname and not his full name. Is it wrong for me to think that when someone primarily goes by their full name, a nickname is reserved for those closer to him? And assuming a nickname is borderline rude.

On a different note, when picking out names for my children, I guess we were drawn to names that had a really cute nn for a little kid (Wally, Tilly), but the formal version was more a name that they could grow into (Walden, Tilda/Matilda).

alphabetdem Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:05 am

So many of these!
Love Victoria, HATE Vicky and Tori.
Love Theo and Teddy, not thrilled with Theodore, but I could probably deal with it.
Love Frederick and Freddie, but Fred has just started growing on me.
My grandmother’s name is Edith, which I hate and only associate with scary German grandmothers, but Edie is adorable.
Love Leo, but meh on Leonardo, hate Leon and Lionel and Leonard an Leopold.
LOVE Clementine, but hate Clem, would have to enforce a less intuitive nickname.
Like Antonia, HATE Toni, but Annie is very cute.
Like Maggie but not Margaret.
Like Nathan, but not Nate.
LOVE Max, but not ANY of the longer forms.

lawsonhaley Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:06 am

I love Millie, but not it’s long forms, Dulcie but not it’s long forms, Jamie but not James, Rosie but not Rose, etc. Usually it’s the nickname for me. The exception to that, is that I love Lavender, Octavia and Jemima, but none of their nicknames, and I like Abigail but not Abbie.

PeacheySmiles Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:47 am

When my sister had her second boy, she LOVED the name Andrew, but did NOT want him to be called Andy. Before he was born, she had settled on if he was going to have a nickname we were told to call him Drew. After he was born, he was just Andrew. Andy doesn’t fit him, nor does Drew, he may be the first and only Andrew to get away with not having a nickname.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:04 am

nhartley10 Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 7:55 am

“I love Patrick, but hate Pat”

I don’t care for Pat, either, or Paddy, but lately discoved Packy. It’s a common diminutive for Patrick in County Cork. I’ve seen it on a few boys in Irish American neighborhoods in Chicago. I suspect the parents had the same problem with Pat or Paddy..

alphabetdem Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 8:05 am

“So many of these!
Love Victoria, HATE Vicky and Tori.”

I agree about Vicky, and Tori is tolerable. I’ve often wondered what you else can do with Victoria.

befx217 Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 7:42 am

“I love Charlotte but hate Lottie and Charlie!”

I think you could use Hattie for Charlotte.

I like Eleanor, but Ellie (and Ella) seems Yuppie. I love Nell or Nelly, though.

If you don’t like Edith, but love Edie/Edy, you might consider Edwina as the formal. I actually quite like Edith now.

I love Dominic, but don’t really care for Dom or Nick, particularly. If you go with James as a middle, though, you can call him DJ.

You can also derive a nickname from a middle name. For example, Patrick Michael can be called Mike, Mikey, or Mickey.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:08 am

I use to like Drew for Andrew, and not Andy, but now I like the vintage Andy, and think Drew is yuppie.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:32 am

amc630 Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 3:07 am

“I am okay with my full first name, Angela, but have never liked being called Angie.”

I know someone who adopted an Angelika from Russia, and calls her Gella, which is nice.

inkonherfingers Says:
January 14th, 2014 at 11:58 pm

“and I adore Finn but not Finnegan or Finnian.”

Fintan and Finbar are options.

LydiaHumphreys Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 12:59 am

“Amelia, but not Amy or Mia or Mellie.”

Milly/Millie or Ammy are options.

When Amanda was fashionable, I disliked Mandy, but Ammy, Annie, or Andi are appealing alternatives.

I no longer care for Alex as a short form of Alexander. It seems yuppie. I like the Scottish Alec now, though.

mermuse Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:52 am

I adore Teddy but have never liked Theodore. So glad it can work for Edmund!

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:55 am

For a long time now, I’ve like William with Will or Willie for nicknames, disliking Bill or Billy. The past few years I’m warming to Billy, though, and saw it applied to a little boy recently.

I hope Robert returns, and I’m sure it will. The nicknames of Bobby, Bob, Robbie, and Rob might be hindering it, though. Hob, Dob, and is it Nob that were once used? I’ll pass. I suspect I’ll warm to Bobby sooner than later, though.

Richard is okay. I’m warming to it. I saw it applied to a little red-haired boy viewing the St. Patrick’s Day parade in NYC a few years ago. Rich, Dick, and Richie are hindrances, though.

luca0730 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:59 am

My favorite name EVER is Josephine, but I despise the nickname Josie. I could probably do with Jo, maybe even Joey, but really, it’s the full name I find so beautiful… the nicknames are all so subpar.

joyfullyfound Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:04 am

My mom has always warned me against using a name if I don’t like the nicknames associated with it. She named my younger brother Michael, swearing that he would NEVER be called Mike. As soon as he was old enough to voice a preference, he liked Mike better, and now that’s all he goes by. My mom regrets choosing his name, and has always reminded me that while you can choose nicknames when kids are really young, once they’re at school and are old enough to have a preference, you have zero control over their nickname choices.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:05 am

I think Archie is nice now, but don’t like Archibald at all. I like Archer, but it seems trendy like Tanner and other surname names.

downtheavenue Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:09 am

LOVE Vincent, but the nickname Vinnie makes it unusable to me.

Oleander Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:18 am

I also love the name Frederick but hate the nickname Fred. Frederick is my grandmother’s maidan name and would be a great tribute to her, but my son possibly being called Fred or Freddie is what holds me back from ever using Frederick. Maybe as a middle name though.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:19 am

joyfullyfound Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 10:04 am

“DH and I are seriously considering Caroline for #2, due in May, and I’m wrestling with whether I’d mind her going by Carrie for the most part, if that’s what she wanted. I don’t mind it, but the full name is so much lovelier….”

Caddie is another vintage alternative.

faithnamer Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:26 am

I love Bennett and Benedict, but can’t stand Ben because of how popular it is.

chellemma1 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:37 am

I would probably not use a longer name I liked it I couldn’t stand it’s intuitive nicknames but luckily this isn’t really a problem for me. With a lot of the longer name I like I have decided that I could put up with other people using it sometimes (I don’t think you can escape the common nicknames completely) but I wouldn’t use it and I’d hope most people would follow my lead.
For instance I love the name Cassandra but I really don’t like Sandra and am not a huge fan of Cassie, however if her friends at school etc. decided to call her one of those nicknames I could put up with it – I’d just call her Cassandra or Cass and ask my family to as well.

If it was the other way round I’d just put the short form on the birth certificate. It avoids confusion and insures that the child will be called by the name that you want.

thatkathryngirl Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:51 am

I adore Maggie, but Margaret is not my favorite. I would have used it anyone if we had decided to use Maggie, though. It’s not that bad. Magdalene could be a good option, too.
I like Clementine, but Clem/Clemmy sounds gross.
I don’t like Liz/Lizzy, but there are many other short forms of Elizabeth that I do like, like Elsa and Beth and Betsy.
I don’t like Pat, but would use Patrick anyway. I’m 99% sure my FIL and my dad would choose to call him Paddy rather than Pat anyway, and I can live with that. (Whatever FIL says rubs off on everyone else, even I call my daughter Maura – Mo now because of him.)
I don’t care for Jim/Jimmy, but love James. It’s my brother’s name and he has never had a problem being called just James.

Elvie Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:54 am

I love Arthur, but my family really hates the idea of him being called Art or Artie. I think the nicknames could grow on me but even I admit I don’t like them near as much as just Arthur. I’ve never known any Arthurs though and I’m not sure how many people nowadays would try to call him by a nickname.

103monkeys Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:57 am

Harrison! Absolutely love it. Hate “Harry.” Ugh.

mill1020 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:18 am

Before our oldest was born, I wasn’t sold on “James” at all. I tracked down an acquaintance named James from middle school and asked him if anyone had tried to call him a nickname. No, he was only a James, and people didn’t try to mess with his name, he said. So although I was concerned about Jimmy/Jim, we still chose James (it’s a family name). So far, and ironically, the only person who’s tried to call our James “Jim” has been my FIL, and he stopped pretty quickly since James never responded to it.
Same thing with our second; I was worried about “Billy” but he is only a Will/William.
Oddly, when we named our daughter Elise, somebody kept trying to call her Elizabeth; that was only one person, though. So far nobody has come up with an alternate, non-sanctioned nickname for Zach (aside from different spellings).

bekchristie Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:26 am

Hubs and I were dead set on Edie but I was terrified of her being called “Eddy, aka: Edward”. Scared me out of the name!

jame1881 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:46 am

rahaley315 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:54 am

My name is Rebecca and I hate when people call me Becky — thankfully in my experience this seems to be a generational nickname that mostly people over a certain age try to use. Similarly, my husband’s name is Daniel — his family and I only ever call him Daniel because his mom hated the NN Dan.

As a comfort to the people considering a name that they hate one version of, people tend to call us Rebecca and Daniel because that’s how we introduce ourselves to people. I think for the most part, people use the name you use for yourself :)

RhiannonIsla Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

With my own name, I like it because there are so many nickname possibilities, that way I can choose which one people opt for. I have had Nonny forced upon me since i was a baby by my family, but my close friends call me Rhi or Rhi-Rhi as a sort of private joke. I have never had the problem of being called Annie before, but wouldn’t mind that either.

I love Maisie and Alfie but do not care for their longer forms. I like the name Abi but not Abigail, Victoria but not Vicky, Nicole or Nicola but not Nicky.None of these are my personal favourites, which is quite lucky.

niteowl13 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:20 pm

This is why I prefer shorter names…mostly one syllable ones, with no nicknames.

KateMP91 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Mine is Cora. I absolutely love it, but it is a little short for my taste. I don’t like any of it’s longer versions, like Coralie.

nlane825 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Well first my name is Nicole but I absolutely hate the nn Nikki/Nicky. I had to tell multiple people growing up not to call me that and it was awkward. Luckily anyone who knows me now can see that I am not a Nicky. The other name that I am currently struggling with is Etta. My husband wants to use it to honor his grandma and I love that (she is an amazing lady) but I cannot stand the nn Ettie. The one time I mentioned using that to one of his family members their reactions was “Oh and you could call her Ettie! That’s adorable!” Ugh. Other than those two I usually love nicknames.

littlewren Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

I like Zibby and Bess but not a big fan of Elizabeth (only because I’m an atheist.) I’ve found other ways to get to Zibby, though.
I like Zo, but not Zoe.
Like Annabeth and Bethany, not that big on Beth.
Like Tess much more than Tessa, though I don’t DISlike Tessa.
I’ve recently started to like Molly as a nn for Tamala – I’m not that big on Mary, for the same reasons I’m not big on Elizabeth.

mnj87 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Whao! So many interesting replies ;)

I have that problem too. I really love the name Benedict and would love to use it one day. But everybody will automatically shorten the name to Ben which I cannot stand (all Ben´s I know are people not worth talking about…). Even Benny I don´t like. So Benedict will probably end up being used as a mn.

SheFliesWithHerOwnWings Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:11 pm

There’s one in particular that stands out for me – I love Elspeth, Eloise, Elodie but I strongly dislike Ellie as a nickname. It could possibly be avoided when she’s younger but she might like it as a teen and I couldn’t bare to call my daughter Ellie!

tct1219 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I love the idea of having a formal name and going by a nickname so you always have options. My first daughter goes almost exclusively by her nickname Bay. My 2 week old is named Marguerite (my husband’s choice) which I don’t hate but I only agreed to on the condition that she go by Maple. My husband calls her Marguerite, which is fine, but until she is old enough to decide, I plan for her to go by Maple. It’s annoying me, though, because he only told his parents her full name so now they and all of their friends keep referring to her as Marguerite. I’m hoping it will sort itself out in time.

LuMary Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:23 pm

jame1881 Says:
January 15th, 2014 at 11:46 am

“Bernadette is my number one for this. I really like Bernadette, but can’t stand Bernie. Also, Millie – I like Millie, but can’t stand Millicent.”

Bernadette can go by the vintage Ettie or Nettie.

Millie can be derived from any ‘Mary’ name or Amelia.

MissTrash Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I have a few of these. I LOVE the name Valentina but HATE the nicknames Val or Tina! I was thinking maybe using Nina instead?

Love Theodora but not keen on Dora or Teddy as nicknames. Love Zipporah but not keen on Zippy or Zippo.

With boys, I love the name Phoenix (although I’m not sure I’m brave enough to use is as a first name) but I can’t find any nicknames I like for it!!

Doctorjones89 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I have known Carolines that have gone by Carley and Cara.

gracenote Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I love Ted/Teddy, but I don’t love Theodore or Edward/Edmund/Edwin/Edgar/etc… any suggestions?

On the other hand, I absolutely love the name Catherine but really dislike all of the nicknames that go along with it – but because it’s such a well-used name, I can’t imagine getting away with using it in its full form all the time! Same with Victoria – I can’t stand Vicky or Tori and all of the other nicknames seem like such a stretch.

ascorsonelli Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Named our son Augustus but have called him Auggie, Augs or Aug since birth. Would never dream to call him by his formal name. He’ll always have the option of Gus in the future too if he finds Auggie to be ridiculous. My parents went with Abby instead of Abigail. Never had any issues with it–though a lot of people ask if it’s short for Abigail. Love the name Hattie but dislike Harriett. Adore Charlie but hate Charles (and Chuck).

marisarose Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Love the name Patrick, but hate Pat, Rick, and Paddy

klh1980 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I wish I had seen this thread earlier because this was exactly me a year ago! I LOVE Frederik/Frederick but loathe Fred/Freddie.

We did end up naming our son Frederik, and I am so happy we did. It suits him perfectly. He will be one next month, and so far not a single person has dared to call him Fred. :)

To the mom who posted the thread, I hope you go for Frederick. It is such a wonderful name!

megmcpavel Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:31 pm

My big ones are Arthur, Walter, and Joesphine. Love them but dislike the nickname possibilities.

flowermae Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Love the nickname Chet but couldn’t name a boy Chester.
Love the full same Susannah but don’t like the nick names.

katey6 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Mine was actually one of the examples; Love Theo, hate Theodore.

bjoy Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:16 pm

We are into nicknames in a big way, and pet names too. We’ve intentionally chosen very formal first names that offer nicknames that have a different feel to them, just to give them options. Aurora is usually called Rory, Sebastian is Bash or Bashy, and Conrad is generally Rad. Some names that I love but can’t use because of nickname conflict are:
Elliott: The only workable nickname is Leo, which isn’t very intuitive and is a little too on trend for me.
Tobias: My husband doesn’t care for Toby
Celeste: No great nickname
Gerard: Really don’t like Gerry
Meadow: A guilty pleasure name anyway, but there aren’t any nicknames.

Erin91 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Nicknames I don’t like:
Love Charlotte, dislike nn Charlie (on a girl)
Love Adelaide dislike nn Addy
Love Madeline dislike nn Maddie
Love Felicity, dislike nn Flick ( I would call her Lissie if I used this name)
Love Archer dislike nn Archie
Love Anthony dislike nn Tony

Full names I dislike:
Love Ella/Ellie dislike Eleanor
Love Libby dislike Elizabeth (Elizabeth isn’t a bad name, but I’m not a huge fan of it.)
Love Kate dislike Katherine (See above)
Love Hattie dislike Harriet
Love Josie dislike Josephine
Like August dislike Auggie and Gus
Love Amelia and Matilda dislike Millie
Love Melody dislike Mel
Love James dislike Jim

DrHenry Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I have an Edmund, and my husband can’t stand Ed, Eddie but is okay with Teddy. I loved Teddy so I thought that would be it. Well he seems to be too serious for a Teddy! We’ve been calling him bear a bit, but mostly just Edmund. But this is why I can’t imagine naming a baby a formal name I don’t like as a way to get to a nn i do like. you just never know if it will suit him. I guess it could go the other way, but at least if you like both the formal and the nickname you all have options.

I’d love to have a Josephine one day, but strongly dislike the nickname Josie. I can handle Joss. Love Posy, but can’t imagine it on a girl older than eight. I debate whether or not I should let go of josephine due to my extreme dislike of Josie.

MaryKathryn Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:07 pm

Love Tabitha, hate Tabby.

emmie113 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Full names I like, but not the nicknames:
Juniper, but I’m not too fond of June or Juni
Cassiopeia, but I have a cousin named Cassie and I’m not sure about Cass
Atticus, but I wouldn’t want him being called Atti or Attic
Tobias, but not Toby
Madeleine, but not Maddie
Beatrix, but not so much Trixie

Nicknames I like, but not the full names:
Aggie, but not Agnes or Agatha
Kitty and Kit, but not so much Katherine

happy Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I have an Isadora, but don’t like Dora or Izzy. It has thus far been impossible to prevent people from calling her both, so I’m thinking of giving her a new first name and bumping Isadora to the middle spot.

The new name needs to be short, accessible, and modern to contrast Isadora. Current candidates are Ivy and Isla.

mel_finch Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I love Ned and Jim/Jem, can’t stand Edward or James.
Matilda is my favourite girl name, but I don’t like Mattie, Tilly or Tilda much.

lalala__lauren Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Just like the post says, I love Theo, but couldn’t have a Theodore Morgan; it just doesn’t sound right to me. I’m pretty settled on using Timothy nn Theo, but my bf is not yet on board. We have many years to change that though :P Also, I really like Posey, but I’m undecided on Josephine. And then there’s Kit; it’s always been feminine in my book due to American Girl doll Kit Kitredge, so using it for Christoper wouldn’t work, but neither would Catherine, since I don’t love last name Morgan with any -n ending names (except my own! Haha).

JadeRain Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:57 pm

My son Daniel turned nine months old today! Anyway, I love the formal Daniel, but don’t like the micknames. Danny seems cutesy for me, and plain dan sounds so blah. My mother says I should have picked another name if that was the case. But I loved Daniel! My family is pretty good at calling him by his full first name. Dh’s family ( aside from MIL) is another story.

tararyaz Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 4:58 pm

I’ll scratch anything off my list if I can’t get into a really intuitive/logical nickname for it. I struggle with Veronica, which I love and think that Vera or Vinca can work for…but I feel like Ronni is more standard and I can’t get into that one…or Nicki. I don’t want to be that shrill type who is correcting every family member & friend on the playground, “It’s Vera, not Ronni!” only to have her one day embrace Ronnie as an adult! But if I love the nickname, I have to love the longform. I would never name a child a nickname name, it’s just not my style.

peach Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:08 pm

@happy – your comment about Isadora saddens me because I too adore the full name but am not fond of Izzy or Dora…any chance you can get people to call her Isa ( ee-sah)?

My name Addie is often considered a nick name. I spent many years as a child and young adult having to say that Addie is not short for any other name. After learning that Addie is my full name most people comment that it is a cute or sweet name and/or that they had a Granny with the same name. I still like my name much better than Adeline or Adele but am annoyed when I occasionally still have to correct people. Now that Addie has become such a popular nickname people actually question me less frequently.

My husband by contrast has a common classic name but has gone by his nickname his whole life. He does not identify with his full name at all. He does like that he can put his formal name on documents but that is all. He would rather go by initials than use his first name.

As for our future children, we prefer full formal names that we plan to use along with nicknames. It is okay if we don’t like all the nicknames associated with a name as long as we have one or two candidates and we don’t hate the most common ones.

thinck Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:16 pm

My name is Terri. People assume it’s short for Teresa. It’s not.

Julesamery Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I’ve loved Ned since watching ‘Pushing Daisies’, but I’ve disliked Edward due to its popularity and Twilight associations – also, people immediately go to Ed/Eddie. I realised however that it could be matched to Edmund, a name I’ve always really liked. Similarly, I like Jude and Jed a lot, but unfortunately don’t really like any of the long forms they come with; Judas, Judah, Jedediah, Jeremy…

mommaoftrolls Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I Love the name Francesca, but really dislike the NN Fran, Franny, Fanny…thought about Cissy as a possibility?
Madeleine is another fav, but I strongly dislike Maddy
Augusta is pretty, but I don’t even know what NN it would get!
Love Archer, not Archie
Josephine(my daughter’s MN), but not a fan of Josie or Jo(my MN)

Love Leo, but dislike Leonard
I think Finn/Fynn is cute, but the formal versions are just not for me
I like Tilly, but strongly dislike Matilda

I’m sure there are many others!!

I try to only fall in LOVE with names that I also Love the NN. Or, that I have a NN for the name in mind and use that regularly so people don’t get there own ideas :-)

Inglis Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Ooh. I have this problem often, rarely do I like nicknames. The one that poses the most problem for me is Helena (ha-len-ah), which I adore, but I can’t stand Lena.

Amy_Boyd Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I love Franklin but hate Frank/Frankie
I love Pru/Prue but don’t like Prudence
I like Leo but don’t like Leonard, Leonardo, Leon, Lionel or any other name that Leo can stand for
I like Charlie but don’t like Charles
I like Don but don’t like Donald
I like James but dislike Jim/Jimmy
I like Des but not Desmond
I love Connie but hate Constance/Constantina
I love Arthur but have trouble liking Art/Artie
I like Michael but not Mike
I like Amelia but not Millie (and my name is Amy, so that eliminates that nickname possibility)
I love Jessie but dislike Jessica

jacquigirl Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I like Matilda but not Millie, Mattie, or Tilly
I love Margaret but not Maggie – I found Maisie which I love
Like Sadie, Sarah is only ok
Like Rosie, but not loving Rose
I love Grace, but not Gracie
Love Catherine, but don’t like Catie, Cathy, etc. I don’t like Cate but I do like Kate.

Sholmes Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I love Alice, but dislike Ali of Ally, and similarly, love Adeline but couldn’t bear Addie or Addy. On the other hand, I love Fitz but don’t like Fitzgerald (Fitzwilliam might be a nice get around for that). I also like Rory, but only as a nickname for Arthur, not as a stand alone.

leahchristine Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:46 pm

My brother is a Daniel, who is never, never, never called Danny or Dan! My uncle is the only one who’s allowed to call him Dan. I’m Leah, and I only recently warmed up to Leelee. I really don’t mind it now, but I used to hate it!
I love Elizabeth, but only like the nickname Libby.
Maggie is really cute, but I’m not a big fan of Margaret. I was almost a Margaret nn Maggie!
I love Isabella, but only like the nn Izzy, and I think Bea is cute, which is Bey-a. One of my friends goes by that, and it’s really cute.
Genevieve is really pretty, and, like one of the previous posters, I don’t really like Gen but kind of like Gennie/Genny.
JoJo is the only nickname I like for Josephine.
I love Charlotte, but only like the nn Chaz. I just think it’s really cute, and Charlie is one of my favorite boy’s names. I think I would like Charlie if I could get around That.
My mom is Dorothy nn DeeDee, and people are always calling her Dotty, but I like DeeDee!

roseate6 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:53 pm

My own name, Rebecca, is one. I love Rebecca but I don’t actually like to be called it; it feels impersonal, as I’ve always been called Becky. Unfortunately and objectively, Becky is so twee. Never Becca. I’ll cut you if you call me that.

When we were naming our 2nd, I put on a full court press for Augustin. I backed down when I thought about the practicality of preventing him from being called Gus or Augie, which, no.

My son’s name, Gideon, presents its own set of problems. Gid, yes. Gidi, gak.

Shelskott Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Great topic! I agree with so many of the above commenters.

We have actually been thinking about Daphne, and maybe trying to use Nina as a nickname, but I am not sure it would stick.

My oldest is Matilda but almost exclusively Tillie — it was my grandmother’s name and she ONLY went by Tillie. I honestly cannot imagine her as a Mattie (not my favorite!) but I suppose she might change her mind at age 14 or something.

For this baby I have also toyed with Frances, but I agree I can’t stand Fran or Franny. :(

Others I struggle with: love Walter but not Walt, Patrick but never Pat, Leo but not Leonard.

Oh and I would LOVE a Frederick nn Fritz. Great name!

Janna Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I love nicknames, and I use them unless corrected on all my friends. I think it’s cute! We all do it, and even I get some, although all my name yields is fusty Jan or fun JJ.
On topic: I am so so so in love with Jo, for Jo March and because I think it’s a great name. I don’t like Joanna or Josephine/Josepha or anything! Alas

jmsouthern Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:15 pm

A few thoughts on this…

As a Julie, I’ve always HATED being called Jules. I don’t know why I’m so averse to it, but I am. My former boss called me “Jules” once and was swiftly corrected by a work pal. Thenceforth, he called me Ruby ( a “Jewel”).

However, I LOVE the nn Callie, and when I named my daughter Calyssa I fully intended to call her Callie. But, it didn’t stick; 10 years later, if someone were to call her Callie, she wouldn’t even realize that they were talking to her.

I have twin aunts named Dorothy and Doris. They both answer to nn Dodi.

For those who like Edie, but not Edith: perhaps you might consider Edurne (Basque for “snow”).

RainbowBright908 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I’m not a fan of a nickname on a birth certificate. I say if you don’t like the long form, pick a different name.

My ex boyfriend was a Timothy. His mother hated Tim. He got to school, and his name was inevitably shortened to Tim. Mom still calls him Timothy, but he’s Tim to all of his friends. So if the reverse is true– you love the long form, but hate the short- keep in mind that people will try to shorten it. Unless, of course, you grow up constantly correcting people and insisting on the long form. I know a Thomas who refuses to answer to Tom. People may think you have some sort of “issue” because of your insistence, but I’ll be the first to let someone know it’s as rude to call someone a name they prefer not to be called as it is to mispronounce their name. Whenever I hear an unusual name that I’m not sure if I heard correctly, I kindly ask they repeat it or spell it so I know I get it right!

I hate the long form of my name, so I go by a nick name. I love that I had the option to go by a handful of different nicknames. Unless you’ve known me since childhood (which rules out almost anyone outside my family), I pretend I didn’t hear you if you call me by the long form. I will correct people ’til I’m blue in the face. I introduce myself by my nickname. Most people aren’t sure of my actual given name until they ask. ;)

I love classic names like Elizabeth or Margaret *because* of all the nickname options. Maisie or Betty seem perpetually childish to me, but the names are cute and wear well through childhood. I think of all the names she could go by with either of the aforementioned– Libby, Peggy, Mari, Greta, Bizzy, Ellie, etc. Some I like, others not so much. But she has options!

I have a friend who goes by a nickname for her middle. Her parents never intended to call her either name, but felt she should have a “formal” and “adult” name. She’s in her late 20s and still chooses to go by her nickname. It is so weird when I tag along to the bank with her, or to pick up a prescription, and I hear her called by her first name. I just don’t see her as anything but her nickname!

I personally love James, but don’t care for any of the pet forms. I also love Ellie as a nickname, but can’t stand how popular the nickname has become, nor do I care for any of the long forms save for Eleanor… Eleanor sounds so distinguished!

Sunflowerist Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:04 pm

My name is Mallory which I truly do like but my childhood nickname was “Mally” which I thought was much better than my full name as a younger girl but now I cannot STAND “Mally” oooh when friends from my childhood call me that I cringe… sounds so awful especially with the Rochester accent :P

Danielleskye Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I really cannot understand the love for Libby but Elizabeth is beautiful.

My name Danielle gets Danny which I hate, but also Elle which is wonderful.

arabella77 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I love Callie, but have yet to find a long form that seems wearable, and I hate putting nickname names on a birth certificate. Leo, too, feels incomplete, but I absolutely despise Leonard and any other long version. I had the same problem with Beau until I heard the name Bowen, which I love. On the other end of the spectrum, I love Vincent, hate Vince. I think Gabriel is wonderful, but Gabe doesn’t appeal to me.

Sindorella Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:09 pm

Both of my girls have names that have possible nicknames I hate. I didn’t let it stop me, but I definitely discourage the nicknames I don’t like. My oldest is Nikaia, and I can’t stand when it’s shortened to Nik. If someone INSISTS on shortening it, we nudge them strongly towards Kaia. My younger daughter is Kalista and I really don’t like the nickname Kali. We don’t ever shorten it ourselves, so anytime someone else has tried to has never stuck since no one else uses Kali including us.

JH Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:16 pm

@klh1980 – I love Frederick too but really don’t like Fred. Frederick is the top name if we have another boy. I’m hoping to discourage people from calling him ‘Fred’. One poster, I forget who, said her brother is Frederick with ‘Fox’ as a nickname. I really like that and may use it! I don’t dislike Fred enough to not name my son Frederick though.

@joyfullyfound – My niece is Caroline and her nickname is C. No one has ever tried to call her anything but those two names. It wasn’t a name that I thought of before my sister named her daughter that, but now I love it and am bummed I can’t use it, haha.

To all those saying they love Leo, but none of the longer names, my son is Leo…just Leo. We named him after my grandpa, who was also just Leo. It’s definitely a name that can stand on its own.

My list is all names others have already mentioned:

Love Frederick, Fred isn’t my favorite and Rick is terrible

Love Patrick, HATE Pat (with a fiery vengeance….sorry to any Pats out there).

Love Prue, strongly dislike Prudence

Like Arthur, hate Art

AmandaJean21 Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I always wanted to name a little boy Westin… But I do NOT want a Wes. So we move on. I prefer nickname proof names even though I am Amanda in half my life and Mandi in the other and i like both. We chose Porter for my oldest and Colton for my youngest. We don’t really want the non Colt, but its not automatic so we decided to go with Colton anyways.

TheFutureMrsB Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I like James, I can tolerate Jimmy and cannot stand Jim.
I like Benji but not Benjamin.
I like Elizabeth (my middle). I don’t like its nicknames beyond the tolerable Lizz. Although my dad (and only my dad) calls me Izzy/Iz sometimes.
I like Oliver not Ollie.
Lysander not Sandy (yes, I’ve heard it.)
Martin not Marty.
I like Clay but not Clayton or Barclay.
Jack but not John.
Bec and Rebekah but not Becca and Becky.
Dominic and never Dom.

There’s probably more of them if I stop to think about it.

petalpusher Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:11 pm

The very first line on the home page for this story is completely me!
My daughter is Eleanor and I refuse to let anyone call her Ellie. She is almost 8 months old now and I think that everyone has figured it out that she is only Eleanor.
My son is Benjamin and I call him Benjamin..not Ben, Benji, or Benny…just Benjamin. I struggle more with getting people to call him Benjamin, but it is not as big of a deal to me.
I just can’t do Ellie….

redtheashley Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I love Johanna, but hate Joanne.

mallowd Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I personally, always found the name/nickname subject weird. My sisters and I all have short enough names that no nickname is needed…Erin, Dana (me), and Carly. I always felt if you liked a name you should use just that name. Now if you happen to like a shortened form of a long name I can maybe see using both for variety or for certain occassions. Therefore, some names I like that are technically nicknames (though I would never name the long version, but only the version I like) are Charlie (Charles), Kate (Kathryn), Winnie (Winifred), and Millie (Milicent). I came up with these, scrolling through. I never really considered any of these names to be nicknames, just names I liked. I did with Kate and Winnie because of The Wonder Years and knowing so many Kathryns. If you like a name, use it! You don’t always need a long name AND a nickname. I don’t think the kid needs to have a choice (although they can change it anyway). I was given Dana and I love it!

mallowd Says:

January 15th, 2014 at 11:26 pm

I realize that my point wasn’t really part of the post, sorry!

brynnash Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 7:54 am

I love the nicknames Charlie, Will, Theo, and Evie, but I hate Charles, William, Theodore, and Evelyn.

Conversely, I love the names Alexandra, Madeline, Andrew, and Michael, but I hate Alex/Allie/Lexie, Maddie, Andy, and Mike.

handsallover Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 10:22 am

I have never thought that was such a popular problems until I read the comments. That’s one of the most commented-on blogs I have ever seen on Nameberry. :)
A piece of advice: think twice(or more than twice) before giving your child a popular name with plans on using a less popular nickname. It will be hard to do for real, saying from a personal experience. My parents never realized the name they gave to me was so popular until they met like a ten of my classmates and neighborhood girl with exactly the same name and the same spelling. (Actually, I now see my name is nearly generic but it’s not the topic subject :))
I have always been called “Caroline Smith” because nobody could make out what “Caroline” was the deal about if not told the last name. I still have a lot of ado about making people call me by my nickname, which is like Lina for Caroline, far less popular than Carrie.
Recently I had to do a project with 5 new students I didn’t knew before and, despite myself reminding to call me “Lina”, 3 of them still address to me like “Hey Carrie!”.
I can’t still find out whether I am not insistent enough or people are just not paying enough attention, so please think of situations like mine while considering, say, Victoria for your daughter with nickname Ria. She will have to correct people very often and be ready to answer questions like “Why are you called like that with your full name being Victoria”.
But, pay attention, I don’t hate my full name because of this.
P.S. Sorry, I know it was very long.

CsprsSassyHrly Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 11:24 am

There are so many of these that I agree with. I love Patrick, but HATE Pat/Patty. I did recently learn Pato (pah-tho, pronounced in the tradition Spanish pronunciation of the letters) as a nickname for it. It has to grow on me but it’s not terrible. I did like someone’s suggestion for Packy, but that seems like an odd name that nobody in my family would accept! Love Margaret but despise Maggie, it’s so common (I do like the less obvious nicknames though, Maisie and Greta for starters). Love Alexandria but not a fan of Alex, Ally or Andy. Lexy (in all of its spellings) is good. Love Frances, hate Fran, Franny, Fanny and any other shortened version of that name. ADORE James, DESPISE Jim, Jimmy, Jamie and any other shortened version of that name. Love Tess and Tessa but don’t care for Teresa. Love Liam but not a fan of William. I love Ray (spelled Rey) but HATE Raymond (I got around that one by using my grandfather’s middle name Reyes. I get to honor him and use Ray). I love Evangeline but hate Eva and Angie for nicknames. Strangely, I don’t like Evie as a nickname for Evangeline, but I like it for a nickname for Evelyn. I LOVE Prue but am not really big on Prudence, though it is starting to grow on me.

My grandmother had an issue with my mom’s name. My mom was a tomboy growing up with the name Georgina. Her male cousins would call her George to tease her, which made my grandmother really angry. Now, she’s called Jojo, Georgie and Yoyi. My grandmother also hates her name, Petra, and chooses to go by Petrita. My cousin, who was named after this grandma, goes by Pety but isn’t a fan of her nickname or Petra.

AprilRobin Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 11:44 am

I like the name Susan but hate the nickname Susie/Suzie
On the other hand I like the nickname Tobi/Toby but not a huge fan of Tobias

kristennoel Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 11:56 am

Personally, I’ve never had this problem. Kristen doesn’t generate a lot of nick names; the two I’ve heard, Kris and Krissy, I just can’t stand.

I love Matty, but I’m not a huge fan of Matilda or it’s other nn’s, Tilly or Tilda.

I like the name Margaret, but only the nicknames Meg or Greta(though that’s a stretch). Maggie, Marge, Meggie, and Peggy just don’t do it for me.

I love Finn, but not really Finnegan.
Arthur, but not Artie, maybe Art.

artshark Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 12:15 pm

LOVE Genevieve, HATE Gen/Jen/Jenny. If we have another girl, we will name her Genevieve Kitty Kathleen (MNs are my mom and MIL’s names), and will call her Genevieve in formal settings, Evie most of the time (since my great aunts’ names were Genevieve and Evie), and KitKat at home! And I will shut down anyone who calls her Gen. Ugh, sounds SO 80’s to me, and I’m already stuck with an 80’s classic- Megan (which I don’t care for in general, but I really don’t like the nickname Meg). That there are choices is one of the reasons I love Genevieve- if she grows up and doesn’t care for it, she can always go by Eve, Evie, Nevie, Kitty, Kathleen or (shudder) Gen. But I’m stuck with Megan Jane :(

I also love Patrick but hate any nn for it. I knew a Packy, but he was a d-bag so that would never work!

emilybk Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 12:31 pm

My daughter’s name is Cates (it’s a family surname). I have only ever intended to call her Cates, not Cate or Catie, partly because she has a cousin named Katie (although with a more unusual spelling) and partly because she just looks like a Cates. She is still a toddler and so far no one else has nicknamed her, but I’m sure it will happen when she gets older and goes to school. If she prefers to be Catie, that’s fine with me, but I’m not going to encourage it. I love her name as is!

I think in general, though, nicknames are pretty unstoppable – it’s hard to prevent one from happening once someone starts using it. My grandmother was named Margaret Addielene, and went by her middle name growing up. Early in adulthood, a coworker nicknamed her Petunia, which eventually was shortened to Tunie. She went by Tunie for her entire adult life. There’s no way her parents could have seen that coming when they named her!

artshark Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

@happy, I’d go with Ivy. If you don’t like explaining your kid’s name to people, Isla is not the way to go! I know here on nameberry it’s popular or trendy or whatever, but in the real world there are still a lot of people who have never heard of it before and have no idea how to say/spell it. That being said, I do love it. The only NNs we get for Isla are Isley (from my dad, altho there is another kid in her gym class named Isley), Isles, Islita or IJ (all from my husband or I). It fits my girl perfectly.

iwillpraise Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Yay! I commented on that forum thread not because of Frederick, but the similar Franklin!

Boys names are hard for me because I’m so picky about nn’s:
Love Franklin, Hate Frank
Love Patrick, Hate Pat (someone advised me that Patch could be another alternative)
Love Samuel, Hate Sam/Sammy
Fond of Gregory, Hate Greg (Gregor may be an alternative to be used w/o a nn)
Love Charles, Hate Charlie
Love Oliver, Hate Ollie
Love Edward and Eddie, but can’t stand Ed and wouldn’t consider anything like Ned etc.
Love Gordon, dislike Jordan, Hate Gordy (he’d end up a Gordo/Fat)
Love Gilbert, Hate Gil and Bert
Love Benjamin, Hate Ben/Benny

>>> I’ve realized I don’t have to worry about the nn if I just put them in the middle spot :) But I’ve also discovered boys names that I love with or without their obvious nn’s to use as first names: Tobias nn Toby, Corbin, Gabriel nn Gabe. (also Love Rupert, Love Ru!)

Love Minerva nn Min, Hate Minnie
Love Lavinia, Hate Vinnie
Not fond of Esther, Love Essie
Not fond of Victoria bc of Vicky, Vicki, Tori – but Love Vika (this is my new favorite!)

I’m quite fond of cutesy nn’s for girls, simply because I’m 27 yrs old and still go by “Kimmie”…

iwillpraise Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

OH! and Philomena!!! I love that, but hate Mena (like Mean-ie. Yikes!!)

mysoutherncomfortzone Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I like Penelope, Nell, Nelly and Penny? Not so much.
I love Maggie, hate Margaret. And Magdalene is too clunky, Magnolia too whiny.

peigin.leitir.moir Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Interesting post!

I love Kate/Katie but I’m not a fan of Catherine/Katherine
I prefer Maggie to Margaret
I love Charlie but don’t like Charles
I think Victoria is much nicer than Vicky, similarly I prefer Nicole/Nicola to Nicky, although I think Coco would be a cute nickname for Nicole!
x

evergreen Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 6:45 pm

I really like Jasmine, but do not like “Jazz” as all the Jasmines I have come across have been called.

And I love the nn Ted/Teddy but I am not big on Theodore, it’s ok, but I do not like Theo.

@ClaraOswinOswald I also like Kit, I have heard about it being used as a nn for Atticus which I much prefer.

Love Arthur, dislike Art/Artie

In the end I wouldn’t use a name unless I was at least ok with possible nn’s

But you just never know, my younger sister was called Melissa, but as young toddlers her twin brother(Jordan) couldn’t pronounce it so he called her Mia. It stuck and she changed her name legally to Mia last year. All her friends know her as Mia. The whole family has called her Mia all her life, although very rarely my Mother and I slip up and she very swiftly lets us know :-)

ErinE Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 9:09 pm

My daughter’s name is Agatha, but we will never call her Aggie. To me, “Aggie” emphasizes the “Ag” sound, whereas Agatha sounds beautiful and balanced. On the other hand, a lot of people seem to love Aggie but hate Agatha. To each her own!

rge286 Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Love Agnes, can’t stand Aggie.

KjStormy Says:

January 16th, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I love Nessa and Nessie/Nessi but i dont really like Vanessa
I like Gabi but dont love Gabrielle or Gabriella, Gabrielle is ok
I like Tessa and Tess but I hate Theresa
I love Robbie but hate Robert
I love Tammy but im not a massive fan of Tamara, it’s ok though
I love Kami but hate Camelia/Kamelia, Camiile/Kamille is ok though
I love Maggie, I hate Margeret
Love Sonny, dont really like Sonia
I love Bella but dont like Isabella

I love Victoria but don’t really like Vicky, i do like Tori though
Alisha is nice but i dont really love Leesh, however our family friend Aleesha is nicknamed Leedy which is nice
I like Tallulah but Im not a big fan of Lula and hate Lulu

Bryony7 Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:07 am

I love Lottie but not a big fan of Charlotte.
Like Gabriella/Gabrielle but hate Gabby.
I like Madeleine but not Maddie.
I Like Rebecca but not Becky, Becca is ok.
Abigail is nice but I dislike Abbie.
LOVE Eleanor but don’t like the inevitable Ellie.
I like Melody but hate Mel.

That’s all I can think of for now but I’m sure there are more!

riah Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:33 am

I love the nicname Tibby but HATE Tabitha! That’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

senoritashan Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 2:50 am

Penny is an absolute no for me. I even know the sweetest little Penny, but I just can’t love it. Penelope nn Poppy, on the other hand, is lovely to me! I love Franklin, but Frank is still too old-man-ish for me, and Frankie is just not my thing. I also like Beatrix, but I dislike Trixie. Thankfully, I think Bea is natural enough for a Beatrix!

I love Hattie, but I haven’t quite fallen for Harriet or other names that might bring it about.

MichelleHJ Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 8:59 am

@evergreen – same problem here. My name is Michelle, little sister couldn’t pronounce it, and I’ve been Nell/Nelly with family and life-long friends ever since. Mispronunciation by a toddler is a difficult one to foresee though.

Love Henry and James (family names), hate Hank/Harry and Jim/Jimmy

chi1127 Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I have several names I feel this way about, and my son’s name has a potential nickname that is one of the few names that I truly abhor. Malcolm is his name, and I absolutely cannot stand Callum. But Callum is not intuitive in the US. So, I didn’t worry about it. And so far he’s been called Mal, Malloc, Malec, Malex, Malx. So, I don’t see it being a problem.

Myrtle_The_Turtle Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I’ve always thought that Christopher was a handsome and poetic name. It’s strong and masculine but the ph makes its soft too. But Chris?! It’s so pedestrian and in no way does justice to illustrious forbear and for some reason puts me in mind of used car salesmen.
Likewise Gabriella. It’s beautiful and ladylike but if I named my daughter it I’d be devastated to hear her called Gabby, which she inevitably would be. For some reason it makes me think of muppets and their great big flappy mouths.

Incidentally my name is Natalie and I’m not enormously keen on Nat. A few people call me it now and again and I don’t correct them but I’d certainly never introduce myself with it. My mum LOATHES people calling me Nat and when I was teen and friends called the house and asked for Nat she’d calmly reply that no-one of that name lives her then wait patiently for them to ask for Natalie. Mortifying!

Myrtle_The_Turtle Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Also I’ve noticed a lot of people saying here that they like James but not Jim. My brothers names is James and he has never in his life been known as Jim or Jimmy. It’s not an inevitable nn in the way Chris and Steve are.

BlueYorkie Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Maggie is great! Margaret, Magnolia, Magdalene, etc. not so much. Esme is awesome too, but Esmeralda is awful, and don’t even get me starter on Renesmee, my sisters suggestion. Also Ginny, but no to Virginia! I really like Zinny, too. Zinnia isn’t too bad though, it’s growing on me. Other way around for Victoria, Lexington, Amelie, Eleanor. (But I love Nora for Eleanora!)

For boys it’s Hugo but not Hugh, Zachariah but not Zach, Nicolai but not Nick. Also Icarus has issues, because no kid should be called Icky.

kkilgallon Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Madelyn has always been my favorite name but Maddie sounds likes nails on a chalkboard to me because it does nothing to differentiate Madelyn, which is a top 100 name, from Madison which is a top 10 name. Mad, Lyn, and Lynnie are all obvious nicknames for Madelyn but not a single one captures the name’s real beauty.

Bcrookshanks Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 2:20 am

Another berry mentioned loving Archie but disliking Archibald. Archie is #1 on my list and I think that it is a great name standing on its own :) Recently I have fallen in love with Zander, but would NEVER consider Alexander. I have just met way too many already. I also think that Sadie is adorable. Sadie, however, is derived from the name Sarah, and I DO NOT like the name Sarah. Partially because of its popularity in the 80s, and partially because it is DH’s ex-girlfriend’s moniker. Is that ridiculous? Or a reason to cross a name off your list? Do you think a Sadie would ever be called Sarah?

liliawillow Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 9:29 am

This is the huge problem I have with finding a name. I love Charlie but not Charles! That’s the main one. Charley is lovely and Charlotte would be ok but I don’t love it. My grandmother was Margaret and I’d love to honour her in a name but really just don’t like the full name, nor Maggie that she went by. I do however love Maisie but feel that as an adult professional it might be too nicknamey/young sounding. And it’s not my gran’s name then anyway! I love Kate (my mums name) and Katie is ok, not a huge fan of Katherine but would be ok with using that on a birth certificate for official purposes only.

I have also struggled to find a long form of Millie that I like. Camille & Amelie I like, but maybe an over stretch. Amelia is ok but very common and is the medical name for a congenital limb deformity so not ideal!

Re above comments; No I don’t think a Sadie would ever get Sarah or viceversa. I think they’re safely separate.

I saw comments above about loving Archie but not Archibald. I think Archer is a great alternative to solve that one.

With Victoria, I recently found the nickname Ria which I think is beautiful and much nicer than Vicky :)

allythys Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I like Benjamin (and its my husband’s favorite name) but I can’t stand Ben. I don’t know why. I like Benji and Jamin but not Ben. I husband (somewhat jokingly) suggested Benjo. I told him I would not name a child Benjamin unless he promised never to call him that.

I really like the nickname Jo for a girl but I don’t care for Josephine. I like Johannah (but we probably won’t use it because it rhymes with another favorite) or Joelle or Jordana. I like the meaning and Biblical figure of Jochebed but that spelling/pronounciation is too clunky to me. I like Yoheved better and I think Jo could still work. However, my husband doesn’t care for Jo on a girl, no even in a combo name like Amy Jo.

I don’t like Joe on a boy (not even because I prefer it on a girl.. I just don’t like it) but I like Joseph and it’s a family name. I think I would call a Joseph “Joss” instead.

I like Priscilla but don’t like Prissy. I think Cilla would be nice instead.

allythys Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Oh and Christopher too! I really don’t like the nickname Chris but I love Christopher. I think Kit would be ok, though.

Also Meg. I love Meg but don’t care for Margaret. I’d consider Meghan, Margo or Magdelena, though.

allythys Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 7:41 pm

As far as my name goes, my mother says she named me Alyssa because that’s what she wanted me to be called. She hates that some people call me Ally. I even had the announcer at my graduation change his notes to call me Alyssa instead of Ally since my mom was in the audience. I don’t think that she thinks Ally names since as a nickname for Alyssa. I know that the double l spelling doesn’t make as much sense but I think the nickname itself does.

My husband’s name is Michael and other than “Honey” and such, that’s all I ever call him. Mike is ok for other people but I prefer to call him Michael even though when I first met him, he went more by Mike and sometimes Thighmaster but don’t get me started on that (our last name is Thys)…

Eeyoregirl2009 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 8:38 am

Love the name Tobias, not so much Toby.

Love Gabriella, HATE Gabby.

Eeyoregirl2009 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 8:41 am

Oh, and my name is Teresa….Like Alyssa above, my mother always said she gave me that name because that’s what she wanted me to be called…so no one was ever allowed to call me Terri (I prefer Tess if I were going to have a nickname, anyhow….although I have a friend now who occasionally calls me Reese).

BabyNameCrazy95 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 9:10 am

I love the name Samson but hate the nickname Sam and my favorite nickname for a girl is Indi but Indiana is too out there x

patey3 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Love Theo, do not like Theodore.
Love Lily, not a big fan of Lillian.
Love Maddie, but not Madison.
Love Ari, but not Ariana/Aria
Love Benjamin, but not Ben.
Love Gia, but not Gianna
Love Indy, but not India/Indiana

patey3 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Also, Love Sam/Sammie but not Samantha.

degrasswizkid Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 3:47 pm

I’m the same way with some names. There are some names where I like the formal name, but hate the nickname and because of that, I refuse to use the formal name just because honestly at some point, I will no control over what other people are going to end up call them…

Formal names I love but hate the common nn…

*Christopher–Hate Chris (my brother’s name but I either call him Christopher or Topher)
*Jeffrey–Hate Jeff
*Joshua–Hate Josh
*Theodore–Don’t like Theo, Teddy, Ted
*Patrick–Hate Pat, Rick (I could MAYBE do the nn Trick, but I’m not 100% sold on it)
*Charlotte–Hate Charlie (I could use Charlotte as long as I start early with “Lottie” which I like)
*Emily–Don’t like Em, Emma
*Caroline–Don’t like Carol, Carrie, Lina
*Isobel–Hate Izzy, Belle, Bella
*Amelia–Don’t like MIa

Also goes both ways, some nn I like but hate the formal name…

*Alex–but HATE Alexis, Alexa, Alexia, Alexandria
*Sam/Sammy–Don’t like Samantha
*Mickey–Hate Makayla, Mckenna, Mckenzie, Michelle

MeleriHaf Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I find this thread very interesting, mainly because I have two nephews and a niece whose names are Michael, Joshua, and Charlotte. They are called Michael, Joshua, and Charlotte. No nicknames. Once in a while, Joshua will get called Josh by his brothers, but no one else. I have found that people are pretty good about calling others by the name they are introduced with.

MeleriHaf Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Also, my sister’s name is Katherine. Originally she was going to be called Katie, but it just never caught on. We’ve called her Katherine all her life. She’s had friends call her Kat or Katty, but not many. She’s just a Katherine, nothing else.

Knelli Says:

January 30th, 2014 at 7:01 pm

@inkonherfingers, Have you ever considered Fintan or Finnick since you like Finn?

The_Supernatural_Hufflepuff Says: