Hurricane Names: Oddballs on the Lists

comments

10 Responses to “Hurricane Names: Oddballs on the Lists”

Vikki Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 9:45 am

As a resident of SC, I think you should include Hugo on the list. It hit Sept 21-22, 1989 and until Andrew a few years later, it was the most destructive hurricane on record. And the name is pretty cool too.

I was 11 years old. I lived 35 miles from the coast of SC and that night (Hugo made landfall at midnight on the 22nd) remains the scariest night of my life. We could hear the tornadoes whipping up behind the house. Had SC been a more populated state, it could have been even more destructive. It was a Category 4.

Anyway, that is my hurricane story. Other notable names that have hit the SC coast.

Fran
Grace
Hazel (I like this one)

katybug Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 10:36 am

I immediately thought “where’s Andrew?” also, but I think that the post is targeting names outside the top 1000, so it wouldn’t be included. There are some lovely names that are retired hurricane names, like Camille, Alicia, and Elena. Here’s the full list:

Mystighost Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 11:21 am

Great post, and I love hurricane names! I have to admit, there is still something intriguing about siblings named Katrina, Camille, and Andrew…or maybe I’m just weird like that.

I am surprised to see that Betsy did not make the list of retire hurricane names. It must be more popular in other places than it is here. Around here, though, this name still says deadly storm, though.

S Says:

October 15th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Interesting topic. I would hesitate on using a name like Katrina, though. I knew a girl by that name who was picked on after Hurricane Katrina hit. Some of these are less heavily associated and fair-game IMO.

Typhoons have been given names for 10 years now. Here’s a list of their names for those interested: http://www.romanization.com/typhoons/index.html

Persephone Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 4:15 am

I will never stop loving Ione – I live in Australia so I had no idea there even was a Hurricane Ione!

Bella Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Ione will never be off the list for me! :)

Welcome to Nameberry Ms. Cullen!

Blessings,

Bella <3

Bella Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Oh, and great illustration!

Jen Says:

October 16th, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I’d be more inclined to name pets after devestating hurricanes than people. Although, I imagine that by the time a child gets to ‘teasing age’, the set that is teasing her will not remember/know that there was such a thing as hurricane Camille or Andrew. Unless you live in an area devestated by these storms, the name is probably not the primary association after a few years.

That said, I’d still shy away from naming a child Katrina, just because that one still gets a lot of press time.

Leslie Owen Says:

May 7th, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Here on the Gulf Coast we joked about the bump of baby Ivans, but in the six years (almost seven) since Ivan, I’ve not met one.

That ought to put naming kids after hurricanes to rest. There are still many refugees from Katrina in our area and it’s a name that’s no longer used. All the Katrinas I know are way older than the hurricane.

Thank goodness they don’t name tornadoes!

Demi Says:

May 20th, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Personally, I don’t think that a hurricane should be able to retire a baby name. I really like the name Katrina (like Katrina Van Tassel from Sleepy Hollow). And I don’t really think of the hurricane when I hear that name.