Hawaiian Names: Lush and lovely

comments

10 Responses to “Hawaiian Names: Lush and lovely”

rachelmarie Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 12:17 am

I love the names Malia and Kalena. I know a girl named Kalena, but she isn’t a nice girl so she kind of ruined the name for me.

My Hawaiian name would be:
Leikela
I actually really like it. It’s pretty and unique.

disa_lan Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 12:34 am

We had luau themed birthday party for my daughter one year. I made name tags that every ones Hawaiian names on one side and there real names on the other. I flipped the named tags over on a table so only the Hawaiian names could be seen. We then had everyone see if they could pick out their own name. It was a lot fun! My name in Hawaiian is Lika.

PDXLibrarian Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 7:18 am

My cousins are Hawaiian. The boys have European names (although they each have three middle names) and the girl is named Poni, which is Hawaiian for beautiful. She frequently has trouble in the US because her names sounds like the English word Pony though.

Abby Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 8:50 am

Neat – I’m Apikalia, mom to Aleka and Kalala (Clio doesn’t translate, so I used the name on her birth certificate, Claire.) My husband’s name, Arthur is Aka.

Cool names, but we’re far too pasty to pull off the island-vibe.

zafera Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 10:32 am

Does Barack count as a Hawaiian name? :-) My Hawaiian name (Nikola) is not that different from my real name (Nicola). I like the unique quality that changing the c to a k provides, though.

http://legitbabenames.wordpress.com/ Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 4:22 pm

I went to school with a girl named Noelani, she was %100 Polish, but her parents liked it because they conceived her in Hawaii. I don’t even have a Hawaiian name. My name doesn’t translate I guess.

Sophie Says:

September 28th, 2009 at 8:17 pm

I know a family from hawaii and all the girls names are Kaua Kahea and Kalea.The boys names are Sean Spencer And Skylar . strange huh?

moxielove Says:

July 15th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I’ve only known boys named Kala, not girls. I’ve known an equal number of boys and girls named Kai. Same with Makana.

Also, “Lavi” is NOT a hawaiian name as the hawaiian language has no letter v. Possibly could be Lawi (pronounced Lavi)

If you want to be authentic, the hawaiian language only has 13 letters: AEHIKLMNOPUW and ` , the okina which acts as a glotal stop

My favorites by far, none of which are mentioned here are:
Nainoa (Nigh-no-ah)
Ikaika (Eee-kai-ka)
Keahi (Kay-ah-hee)
Kapua (Kah-poo-ah)

jeffsgirl Says:

August 6th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

having your name converted using one of those sites does not make it hawaiian, it just makes it hawaiian sounding. iekika (jessica) is not an hawaiian word. want a hawaiian name? use a hawaiian word, like the ones moxielove listed. i like:

noe