Have you ever been teased about your name?

comments

76 Responses to “Have you ever been teased about your name?”

Natural Says:

April 8th, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Yes, by my sister. I have a younger cousin who cannot pronounce my name correctly–instead of using the letter C that my name starts with, it sounds like he is using the letter N. She knows I get bit irritated by it, so she does it every once in a while just to get a reaction out of me. She thinks it’s super cute. Never hurtful, because I know she is teasing me like most older siblings do. If she felt like it really bothered me that is became hurtful–she would immediately stop.

indiefendi Says:

April 8th, 2014 at 11:53 pm

It was merciless in grade school (my name is Kaprice). They were “CAPRI SUN!” CAPRI PANTS! CHEVY CAPRICE! FREAK (apparently a synonym of caprice is freak), CADILLAC! Etc. But now that I’m older people always say it’s pretty. I’m still ambivalent about it haha.

augusta_lee Says:

April 8th, 2014 at 11:54 pm

I never been teased about my name — which, as it’s phonetically identical to that of a certain bun-headed science fiction princess, would seem to be eminently teasable (even the Nameberry database agrees!). In fact, I think fears of name teasing are vastly overblown. I knew a boy in grade school named John who was teased about his name mercilessly, while the most popular kid in class was named Pierre and never had a single derisive remark thrown his way. Names aren’t teasable; kids, sadly, are. Of course there are exceptions — I certainly wouldn’t name my child Fartmaster McToot — but I’ve known people named Ping, Blaze, Mowgli (seriously), Justice, Princess, and Daintily (again, seriously), and after a brief moment of registering that their name was unusual, I never thought about it again.

AprilRobin Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:03 am

I was teased about my name, Josephine, and was called JoJo the Clown (after JoJo’s Circus) and my all time favorite Josie the pussycat after Josie and the Pussycats. In middle school one girl called me Jose for two years until she moved away.

Poppy84 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:09 am

Never.

My friends did once realise that Talia is the last part of the work genitalia, but since it is pronounced differently it wasn’t a source of teasing (more an observation).

My maiden name starts with a syllable rhyming with smell, so I got BB Smell— from my friends at uni (BB stood for big boobs – all relative when you consider my degree is male-dominated). Again, not actual teasing, just a light hearted nickname.

I was teased for being a nerd, but that would have happened regardless.

dylmar Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:10 am

As a Dylan I was called dill pickle and dill weed… and also dildo.

Saffron_Rice Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:30 am

Never been teased about my name, but there was a boy at my primary (elementary) school in England called Vivian, which is the traditional male spelling in Britain. It went well with his Welsh surname, but is rather rare, and as we also had a female Vivien (this spelling, like Vivien Leigh) in the class, and the boys teased poor Vivian mercilessly “You’ve got a girl’s name!”. I felt sorry for him because he was a shy boy at the best of times.
The only time my mother saw her older, tough-as-nails sister cry was when kids at school found out that her middle name was Judith (after their grandmother) and called her” Punch-and-Judy”.

SoDallas3 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:34 am

Nope and no one in my family nor the kids I went to school with were tease about theirs either. It just wasn’t something that was done at all. I went to a multicultural school in Australia, so caucasian students were actually the minority, and we were used to hearing different sort of names. The majority of students were from Asia, India included, so it never seemed like a big deal.

Actually, now that I think of it, my nanna was teased about her name when she was little. Her parents wanted to name her Meryl; but her dad couldn’t spelt and accidentally wrote Merle. She was born in the late 1920s, so Merle was commonly a boys name, and she said she was mortified by how many people pointed it out all the time.

Other than that though, no one was bullied for their name.

grackym Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:07 am

I remember songs in primary school that went ‘Grace, grace what an ugly face, ran in a race and smashed her face’ or ‘grace, grace from outer space, her face looks like a monkey face’.
They were a little hurtful at the time, but nothing major. What annoys me more is when people say: ‘Will you say the grace, Grace?’
(Grace like praying for your meal) I’ve probably heard that a million times!

lua Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:17 am

Well, I just have to say thank you for posting the question. I am very interested in others’ experiences with this. I suspect fears of name teasing are overblown, or perhaps more a problem of generations past. My dad thinks my son’s name sounds feminine, and always references “A boy named Sue” (i.e., the father named his son “Sue” so he would grow up to be tough. The boy also despised his father for it). The funny thing is, my father is the only one who has suggested this about the name. Admittedly, my son is still young, but so far the only one doing the “teasing” is the one “worried” about what my son will encounter when he enters grade school. Seems like adults may be the greater perpetrators of ridicule in some cases.

MaeBear24 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:34 am

My name is Maeghan, pronounced ‘May-gen’ which is very unusual in Australia, where Megan (Mee-gan’) is commonplace. Though I think my name is clearly spelled to be pronounced with a ‘May’ like the month, it was often mispronounced- I was well trained to make sure I corrected the pronunciation of my name, including when teachers said it wrong. This resulted in some people teasing me for the fact that I stood up for myself when my name was mispronounced and people deliberately calling me Megan even when I asked them not to. I actually had a teacher once that told me my name wasn’t a real name and insisted on calling me Megan the entire year…I dealt with that by simply not responding to the wrong name.

Somehow, when I was 12, my name was morphed into ‘Maggot’ for a while as well which was annoying.

On a better note, some more friendly teasing I encounter is from my family particularly my Auntie Carolyn- I have called her Aunty Cow for the longest time (no clue why) and she (and the rest of my family) often refer to me as Moo-ghan which I don’t mind at all. No clue who started this little by play though.

I may have struggled with my name throughout school, but now as an adult, I love it!

CharlotteLouise Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:59 am

Yes, in primary and high school I was teased for the name Charlotte. Boys would laugh and call me “Charlottes Web”. When I was growing up Charlotte was not a popular or common name. When I was born the midwufe said to my mother “Oh Charlotte, I have not heard that name for such a long time, the only Charlotte I know was my great, great grandmother.” Fast forward 24 years and it is the number one baby name in my home country, Australia.

chellemma1 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 2:57 am

I have often been teased about my name – it’s generally all affectionate though. I don’t like the nickname Rach – so naturally lots of my friends purposefully call me Rach or Rach-el. When I was younger my uncle used to call me Rackel Welch (like Raquel Welch but pronounced awfully). I also got called Raquel quite a lot at school and one of my friends shortened it to Rack – which funnily enough didn’t bother me. When I was older I started going by Ray, which then led to some of my friends calling me Raymond!
In my experience it’s the people with more common names that get teased about them more even though people tend to worry more about teasing potential with unusual names. For example I went to school with a Merlin and a Tuesday who never got teased about their names and an Angela who got called Man-gela!

Betsy7506 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:03 am

Betsy wetsy, betsy pepsi and betsy the cow were common. Thankfully, i got along well with most kids so if brought up, it wasnt malicious. I think it’s also a slang term for a car, because once in high school a boy couldnt believe that was my name and showed my name off to a couple of other kids who all got the reference.

megank4 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:52 am

Teased? No. Sometimes some alternate spellings or mispronunciation. I hope our daughter doesn’t get teased for Stella. Maybe the beer Stella Artois, but that is the only thing I can think of, though kids are creative.

Malk Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:58 am

My entire life. I am female and have the diminutive of a male name (not Malk). It’s also the name of a cartoon character and later a celeb. So if kid weren’t teasing me for having a boy’s name, they were teasing me in about the other things. Even as an adult, people think it’s funny to mention the connections in a jokey way.
The teasing, and the constant gender confusion from my name, made me determined to never give my daughter a unisex or usually male name. I wanted something feminine but simple with nickname potential as I had no obvious nickname that I could use to escape the teasing (never thought of going by my middle name, I didn’t know anyone who had done that).

tree_loves_eth Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:59 am

My brother used to call me ‘pee on a tree’

tree_loves_eth Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:01 am

(for Petrea) but other than that I’ve had no issues (:

ElizaH Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:31 am

I wouldn’t necessarily call it teasing but my French family were always really nasty about my name as a child (my sisters all had distinctly French names and had I had a distinctly British name). I kind of got over it though when I got into my late teens, but in my earlier teens I really wanted a super French name to blend in better. It was hurtful to me that my grandmother actually didn’t call me Eliza at all but Hélène or Jacqueline which are my middle names. It’s weird though as my sisters’ names all got changed to something that was very British (Colette became Lettie, Antoinette became Annie and Victoire became Vic or Vicky) so I guess I’m more lucky that I have a more easy name.

I used to get called Liza a lot by friends at school which I HATED! People began doing it just to annoy me, in the end even teachers started calling it me.

CatherineA Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:47 am

One boy in middle school occasionally called me “Cat-Urine,” but he wasn’t really mean about it and I don’t remember ever having my feelings hurt by it. I do remember my parents thinking it was hilarious when they saw it in my yearbook. I know that some people have truly unfortunate experiences with name teasing/bullying, but in general I feel like most people’s fear of it (when naming their own children) is overblown.

jessiemay Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 5:29 am

The only thing I remember is a group of three girls I’d never met before (when I was about 5 and they were maybe a year older) told me I had a “really, really, really stupid name” (Jessie) but didn’t really say anything else about it haha. I kinda think it just happens to some kids regardless of how weird/common their name is; I don’t really think a name dictates it.

Brynie Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:14 am

Yes, unfortunately my name was teased :( My name is Bryn and I got Bin, Brian and many more, in primary school (and still sometimes by immature friends haha :D). I didn’t really like my name much when I was little because I thought it was so unusual not because I sometimes got teased. Now I love my name! I get lots of mispronunciation though for instance: Byron, Burn, Brian, Brit (there isn’t even a t in my name???…seriously), Bree (which isn’t too bad), Bine, Brine, Brim etc.

maiamoosmiles Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:44 am

My name is Marissa, which was hard to come up with a teasing name off of. Yet somehow, my mom came up with the idea to call me “Moo” and when my classmates (a class of ten other students I dealt with between grades 2 – 8) heard her call me that, I was teased relentlessly. Being in a Christian school, they also started calling me “Moses” when they found out that my name meant “of the sea” and Moses is along the same lines. Although, I thought Moses was a rather cool Biblical name and found it a better alternative than people mooing at me.

When I was really little, I could not pronounce the SHHHH sound and called my sister Ashley by “Assley”, but I thought I was saying the name correctly and had no idea it was rather inappropriate. My parents put me into speech early on for that reason.

marisarose Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:56 am

I’m another Marisa (pronounced like Marissa), and I wasn’t ever teased about my name. The only logical nickname was Ris and I didn’t get called that until high school, and only by a select few. Spelling, though, was a pain in the butt. Trying to explain, multiple times, that there is only one “s” in my name. I was also regularly called Mellissa and Carissa. My one great-aunt was the only person I allowed to spell my name incorrectly, because the way she spelled it seemed cool lol: Merisa.

SunKissedChild Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 7:32 am

@AprilRobin, My name is Josephine too, and I have never been teased about my name! My sister still calls me Phiney now and then, but that’s been adopted as more of a nickname or pet name.

I do HATE being called Joey. That usually comes from people who don’t know me, and assume that Joey is okay since I go Jo. I actually had a receptionist say “Thanks Joey” to me as I left the dentist the other day. That annoys me, but I don’t think it qualifies as teasing.

peacebird10 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 8:30 am

I was never teased for my name, Kara, but I was teased for being so tiny. I think kids will tease kids for anything, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to give my kids really tease-able names (whatever that even means).

DracoDrake Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 8:38 am

Relentlessly.To this day, I have people sing 2 different songs at me, thinking they’re clever &I haven’t heardthem for 40 yrs, and skeevy guys ask me if I;m good Karma or bad Karma. I hated my name as a kid, but like its uniqueness now. I’m Karhma Harmony. The only thing I dislike about my name is that h my parents put in the middle.

paperheart21 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 8:45 am

Honestly, the worst I’ve ever felt about my name was just yesterday as I was perusing this site for name ideas for #3 and looked up my own name only to see a short blurb that basically said, “Don’t use this name,” and suggested using one of two other names, instead. Great job.

obow Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 9:05 am

So glad to read this… trying to find a tease-proof name is nearly impossible. If someone named Jessie can get teased then I’m sure no name is tease-proof! Our surname makes teasing more possible but who runs around calling someone their full name? I won’t make it easy for the bullies, but I can’t do much to prevent some people’s kids from being little buggers. Such is life!

jem Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 9:09 am

I’ve never really been teased for my name (Jemima) – I just have people asking me to repeat it occasionally when first meeting them. I remember my friend’s older brother calling me ‘Pajama’ but that was more affectionate than anything else. Nothing rhymes with Jemima! :) I’m on exchange at the moment (in Europe) and I’m meeting a lot of Americans my age. A few of them sought me out to comment that I had the same name as a syrup in America, but they found it cool and exciting really!

@peacebird10 – I was definitely teased for being tiny too! I was absolutely always the smallest in every grade (until grade 12. I finally grew!)

downtheavenue Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 9:36 am

My name is April and people just love to shorten it to Ape. Not teasing, but I don’t really care for being called Ape. :)

Anaxandra Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 10:06 am

Noticeably, people who say that worrying about teasing is overblown are the ones not bothered by it. Everyone has different experiences of childhood teasing so I think that ends up beings pretty dismissive of people’s concerns. Some kids are more sensitive, and even the most blasé parent can end up with a sensitive kid. Going the ‘boy name Sue’ route would mostly likely cause a sensitive child to become even more sensitive, and likely resentful toward the parent. I can’t protect my child from teasing, I plan to teach them good ways of dealing with it, but it’s hard to know as a parent what lessons they’ll learn despite your intentions. Anyway I figure as a parent the least I can do is give them a good name, so they won’t have at least that to resent me for.

euphemiadwarlock9 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 11:31 am

I got bullied at school with my name. My name’s River and the kids at school would make fun of it and automatically associate it with the River Themes. :(
But in time I got used to it, I still hate my name though.

Sig Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 11:57 am

I’m Iona, and I got I-Own-A-Bike and I-Own-A-Car and such like in Primary school, which got gradually more offensive when I went to high school to I-Own-A-Various Bits of Genitilia or I-Own-A-Some Kind of STI. But it all disappeared by the time I was 16. All of which were meant offensively, but never really bothered me much. I did affectionately get called Combine Harvester by an old friend because I had a double barrelled surname which was very, very long.

Anaxandra, I have to say that if all a kid has to worry about is that they get teased about their name, life is going pretty well for them.

namenerd8 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I had a soccer coach who was french and pronounced my name the french way (Rachelle) some of the boys on the team thought it was hilarious and called me Rachelle for the rest of the year. One of them even told a supply teacher that was my name.

PinkPenguin87 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

My name is Elizabeth but I’ve gone by Ellie since I was an infant. It’s the nickname my parents chose for me. I got a lot of “How do you get Ellie from Elizabeth? ?” And a lot of being called Ellie Mae as in Ellie Mae Clampett from The Beverly Hillbillies. Then there were all the smelly Ellies, jelly Ellies, Elmo, Elbow, and Elblow. Those last five were all from my cousins who still call me by those names even though we’re all in our late 20s and early 30s.

MedbO Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Hey everyone my name is Medb which is the old Irish spelling of Maeve. When people see my name written name they can’t pronounce it or understand what name it is this led to being called Med b by a lot of the boys in my school!

orphanedhanyou Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

to my family I was Carrie Bekah when i was little. my older brother turned it into Care Bear which i still love : )

JH Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

@Paperheart21: I know what you mean. I love Nameberry even though they say they say ‘odds are against Jill making it back up the hill’. Eh, whatever. I love my name and they sometimes like names that I would NEVER use, so we can agree to disagree sometimes.

JH Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Also, to answer the question, I’ve never been teased about my name. People come up with lots of different nicknames, but nothing I’ve ever been annoyed or mad about.

nla Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I went to a private school for High School and some of my friends would call me Natielly, which is a made-up version of my name (Natalia). They used to say that since I came from a poorer background than them, that I should have a lower-class name (made-up, full of unnecessary y’s and double letters). They’ve outgrown that now, thankfully.

Jesslyn Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I’ve never been teased about my first name, although I received plenty of teasing about my last, because it includes a crude word (think something along the lines of Boobington). I did have one friend, though, named Madison who was teased relentlessly about her name. She has always been a bit overweight and is often rather unaffectionately called Fattie Maddie. Once a man in a bar even called her this after she introduced herself! It has convinced me that I can never, ever use any of the Mad- or Mat- names, even though I do love Matilda.

butterflykisses Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

My name is Polly, and my last initial started with a P as well, so of course I got pee pee all the time, as well as Polly want a cracker, Pollywog, Polly Pocket, Paul, like the guys name, plus many more. Most of them were endearing except when the kids said it!!! I hated it in grade school. As I have gotten older the jokes still happen, the cracker one never gets old (I’m lying to you) but its not offensive at all. I always take into consideration of teasing potential for my future kids, but I also realize its 95% unavoidable for most names, kids will find a way to make fun of almost everything. i

gipro2003 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I’m a Giulia, and I get Giulia Goolia ALL. THE. TIME!!! I’ve never even seen the dang Wedding Singer.

auntanne1122 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I really never got teased in a bad way but it was always people trying to be goofy or cute with me. Anna Banana, Annie in the Cannie, Annie is the Mannie, or Annie the Nannie. They never bothered me at all. I think mostly because I always loved my name. Plus, I had a lot of great friends and we could all take the goofing around.

kittykate928 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:04 pm

My old PE teacher sung K-K-K-Katie to me sometimes, and so did my family, an my friend once suggested I go by ‘Rhinestone’ is 4th grade (My full name is Katherine, but I go by Katie) that I quickly shot down. Other than that, nothing.

KateMP91 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I have never been teased about my name (Kate) BUT in elementary school, my best friend called me Kathy because she knew it bothered me. I still hate it, no offense to any Kathy’s out there, I am just NOT one.

megzrulz57 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 4:29 pm

My name is Megan. I get my name pronounced Maegan ALL THE TIME!!! People also tend to call me Morgan sometimes, but for some reason, I don’t mind that. In kindergarten, there was girl in my class named Meaghan. To distinguish between the two, she was called Meaghan and I was called Meggie. I hated that nickname and I still do. Last year, a girl came up with the nickname Meggers, which I also hate. Now that I’ve gotten to high school, no one calls me Meggers anymore.

vintageluvs Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I’ve been teased because of my name Andrea. Perfectly normal, I had always thought, until about sixth or seventh grade, when kids began to realize that Andrea was a male’s name. I got called Andy and Andreas a lot. I hate both. The part of Andrea I don’t like is that it doesn’t have an nicknames. Other names have plethoras of nicknames. I knew a girl Sophia who was Sophie for short, or a girl Adrianna who was called Adri. I don’t see what is so humorous about Andrea. I mean, I find with it now, but back then, my “friends” thought it was the most hilarious thing, and I remained “Andreas” until about ninth grade.
I’ve been considering Mackenzie for a boy. I hate the name for a girl, but I have a totally different perspective on the name for a boy. I don’t want to give my child a name the kids will tease. I’ve had the experience. My father, born Wayne Richard, had the experience. He hated “Wayno” and “Wayner” (he signs his name “Wayne R.”). I can see potential for this name to be teased, but I also can see it as a really cool name that the kids won’t find humours at all. Afterall, Mackenzie started out as a boys name, his cool nicknames for males, and is different yet familiar. I remain undecided about the name.

flexiballetgirl Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I got called “Holly Jolly” a lot, and as a sensitive first grader I thought Jolly meant fat (because Santa is “Jolly”). It’s hilarious now but I sure didn’t think to then. I’ve gotten a bunch of terrible stuff for my last name though!

KickinKay Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:18 pm

My name is Kaylah, and it has never really been a problem. But for a period of time in second grade there was a girl who relentlessly only referred to me as “Kayla-ha” and attempted to make all the other kids do it too. It bothered me for a while until a couple weeks later I asked why she didn’t make fun of Sarah or Mariah or Hannah, that seemed to confused her and she never bothered me again.

julyhare Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I’ve always been complimented on my name. In third grade we did an etymology project in school. My name is Claire and it means “light/clear” in French. After this project, I was made fun of and called “light bulb”. I don’t think any name is teasing-proof, it’s just kind of what kids do sometimes, but that doesn’t make it right. At the time I was traumatized and really upset but looking back it’s just so stupid that it’s almost funny.

chi1127 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I really had minimal teasing about my first name (Rachel). But I had constant teasing of my surname (Wolf). I was howled at frequently. Oddly enough, though I hated the teasing, it never made me hate my surname.

Llumeneres Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I’ve never been teased about my name, Elise. I have had friends/classmates come up with various nicknames but they were never meant to be harmful, they were just joking around- Eliseo, Lisey, Lise Lise, Elisidad (it was feliz navidad meaning Merry Christmas in Spanish, then Elise Navidad, then Elisidad), John, Juan, Gupps (Those last three are unrelated to my real name, but still).

starrkissed Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 7:54 pm

My name is Brittany. I used to hate it in school. I was a tomboy and wanted my name to be Mickey or Brandon (yea, no idea lol). Now that I’m an adult, my friends tease me by calling me Britney Spears. Annoying, but it’s all in good fun.

scgogirl Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 9:01 pm

I’m sure my name isn’t the worst of them- Taylor. I was called Tater-tot and Tattle Taylor only because the annoying kids couldn’t think of anything else.

namesage Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 10:07 pm

So Chrissy rhymes with Sissy and also a particularly awful word that starts with P. :P That was never an ongoing thing though just a couple of times. I have to say that I have worked with kids for years and I find that kids now are overall pretty tolerant and open-minded about names. There’s always going to be random teasing, but people think only kids with distinctive names are prone to teasing. I don’t think it matters. The only teasing I’ve heard recently was for the familiar and well-used “Abby”. A few kids decided to call her “Flabby Abby”. (She is not even a little overweight, by the way!) You never know with kids!

namesage Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Also…I have no idea where that smiley face came from…Random!

Anaxandra Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 10:10 pm

@Sig
First world problems eh? Didn’t I mention being dismissive?

For the record, they tried to tease me but couldn’t figure out much to do with my name. Nonsense rhyming. Teasing is something I consider, not naming my son Sue, for instance, I think it’s courteous to consider what it might be like for the child to wear the name.

Kandice88 Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 11:03 pm

I use to get Kansas which I hated and then Kansas City Chefs (which is a football team I believe) and it just broke my heart but I was in the third grade after that I just got people who straight up couldn’t pronounce Kandice.

bonfireazalea Says:

April 9th, 2014 at 11:10 pm

I wasn’t exactly teased BECAUSE OF my name, but some girls in high school used something about my name to annoy me. My name is Lauren, I’ve never gone by anything else and don’t really have any nicknames. They would call me Laur or Laur-Laur (like the first syllable of my name) because they knew I didn’t like it. They bugged me in other ways too though, and whatever my name was they probably would have come up with something. I told them I wouldn’t answer to that and didn’t, so eventually they stopped.

emrf2b Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 2:53 am

Yes, but it’s all in how you handle it. Don’t cry in a corner about it. My name is Eva, so I’ve been called Deva, Leva, Eve-ers, Eve-er Beaver, Evs, EEEEEEEEEvvvvaaaaaa (like someone announcing a boxing match), and a lot of people that say my name with a weird voice inflection…like yoda-ish. I’m not sure what possesses people to do this, but I’ve gotten it all my life, especially in grade school. The trick is to make it seem like it doesn’t bother you; joining in is even better. If someone is just calling you something you don’t like…like Joey or Ape…just politely tell them it’s Jo, or please call me April. I get Eva (pronounced like Evan) all the time, or even Ava (which I will never understand). Once people know, I can tell they make an effort to remember. Those that don’t respect that, I don’t give the time of day. Either way, everyone should be proud of their name and be glad that it’s interesting enough for people to take notice and even bother teasing about.

LuMary Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 9:42 am

My older brother rhymed my name with something derogatory. His name being Michael, always one of my favorites, I couldn’t think of a comeback – until adulthood: Michael – Psycho

mel_finch Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 12:03 pm

In primary school I was sometimes called Maggot (my name is Maggie) and various rhyming words, but it was never serious. Everyone got stupid nicknames – Nicole was Knickers and Ella was Elephant, so it’s not limited to people will uncommon names. I have a friend who really loves nicknaming people, and she’s affectionately called me Mags, Magsters, Magazine and – my favorite – Magsamus Prime. :D
Actually, I’m astonished no one’s ever teased me about my surname. Not only does it contain a rude word, it sounds almost exactly like a crime.
I’ve never known anyone to be seriously teased because of their name. I think a name is more of a target than a cause for teasing.

halle Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 3:39 pm

My name is Halle and that’s pronounced Hal-e. People always thought it was funny to call me Holly or Haley since I hated when people pronounced my name wrong. No big deal though:)

kitchi1 Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Yes. My name is Tia, and I don’t like it at all. I’m actually on here to find a different name that I can go by.

I’ve been called…

Teets
Teeter Tot/Teeter/Teeter Totter
Tia the Toy that never Talks
T-t-t-tia (like chia pets. Everyone thinks they’re so clever when they say this one…man, I’ve never heard that one before…all Tia’s would understand. Lol)
Ty-a
Tina

I’m sure there’s more. Those are just the ones that I can’t stand. I’ve been called Tee and TeeTee, but they are fine. Tee is actually cute, imo.

kitchi1 Says:

April 10th, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Oh! Also sometimes I have to repetitively say my name because people can’t comprehend that it’s just TEE-UH. Like Mia, or Leah. I think that’s funny, because it’s such a simple name. It might be because of my accent, though. I say it heavier than other people, which also I don’t like; I’d like people to say it the way I say it, lol. Am I too greedy?

wanderland Says:

April 11th, 2014 at 11:21 am

Perhaps it was just my experience growing up, but I truly don’t believe names are that easily teasable. Occasionally I’ve witnessed people use a name to further propel pre-existing teasing but it seems rare that a name is the sole and/or spark for bullying to come from. I’ve met people with names like Margarita, L’ete, Michael Hunt (Mike Hunt – say it out loud), and Barney. Aside from the occasional playful remark, most people just recognize that it was an unusual name and moved on. Even kids of all ages! Yet, I met a boy named Cameron who was constantly being called Cameron Diaz, and boy named Joe who was called “Josephine” and a boy named Maxwell who was called Maxi Pad for all of middle school. Truthfully, anything can be teased when a kid goes out of his way to tease.

The closest thing to name teasing I’ve experienced was when people discovered my middle name is Michel. Yes, I was named after my grandfather. But it is pronounced the same as “Michelle”. So for a few weeks kids called me Michael.

I was teased quite a bit in middle school, but I’d never say my name was a source of it.

Chloe14 Says:

April 11th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

In infant school there was this really mean girl who I hated and she used to call me Chloe Bowie I was only young so I used to get upset about it so I would start crying and the teachers did nothing about it. But now I’m in my teens people call me Chloe Snowy I hate that to.

tam427 Says:

April 12th, 2014 at 8:26 am

My name is Tamara. When I was a bit older I got “Tampon” a lot. My last name was also tease-able. But, other kids got teased too so it wasn’t a big deal to me. My name is also mispronounced ALL the time. Its pronounced like Camera but always get Tam-eh-ra or Tam-ah-ra. I just politely correct them. I actually love how unique my name is and am so glad I wasn’t one of 3 kids in my class with the same name.

J_Anne Says:

April 12th, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Not in a hurtful way. I was called Jessy-messy by my family quite a lot, and I was a particularly messy child, and Jessi-cat (my last name starts with a t, as a child since there would be several Jessica’s in my class, I would put Jessica T on my papers, but not leave a space, so it read JessicaT) both of these things have come together to make me particularly dislike being called Jessie, but only family members ever try after one polite, ‘I prefer Jessica.’

evelulla Says:

April 12th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I’m Eve.
In my year alone there is 2 other Eves, an Eva, an Evie, an Evelyn, a Neve and a Niamh. Oh, plus an Evan.
I get called all of those(yes even Evan) which really annoys me as lots of those people I absolutely hate. I am friends with Eva so we don’t mind getting mixed up.

I mainly get teased for my middle names: Tallulah Tuesday. I get Eve monday, wednesday etc. and just comments like ‘are you serious?’ and ‘what were your parents on when they named you?’.

I also get teased for my surname: Newman. I get the new man, Eve New Moon (during a science topic on the universe) and lots more.

But hey, I’m glad I’m not some people in my year when it comes to names(Pebbles Knibbs, Elgan manton-Roseblade, Rocco Wallis, Phoenix Tanner, Angel Isla Streppel Bonner…)

montana Says:

April 13th, 2014 at 12:31 am

My name’s Hannah. I went to school during the Hannah Montana years. Make your own connections.

DryLake Says:

April 13th, 2014 at 7:35 am

I’ve heard a couple of jokes about “Ofelia who doesn’t like water” and so on in the last two years, but the jokes about my second name were never really hurtful and just kind of creative. I got picked on a lot in grade school for my first name though, since it sounds really traditional, almost to the point of being viking-ish.

Myosotis Says:

April 13th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I’ve never been teased about my name, and no one else in my primary or secondary school has ever been teased because of their name either. There is a girl in my year who’s first and surname together sound like Aleah’s a man; that entertained everyone for all of 10 seconds. Tbh, the worst you can get out of my name is Jam, Jami, Jammie Dodgers etc. but I like those as nns. I suppose it does help that my first and middle names translate (from Arabic) into Beautiful Princess, and I get a few awwhs because of that, which is great, if a bit embarrassing.

beautifuldreamer Says:

April 14th, 2014 at 7:14 am

My name is Ashlyn, and I’ve gotten the occasional ass-lyn from annoying teen aged boys. Ahh, middle school.