French-Accented Baby Names: Jeanette, Cosette, Colette

comments

7 Responses to “French-Accented Baby Names: Jeanette, Cosette, Colette”

marypoppins Says:

May 5th, 2014 at 5:37 am

I think Jeanette is a lovely name! I have seen variations of it with two Ns or one T, but never any of the others. But then, even such a common name as Jennifer can attract a slew of misspellings. I’ve had people spell my name with all kinds of variations – one N, two Fs, Y instead of I, I instead of E, G instead of J, and combinations of all of the above!

bonfireazalea Says:

May 5th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

I love classy Jeanette but prefer the Jeannette spelling; it looks cleaner and more balanced. It’s how Jeannette Walls, author of The Glass Castle (one of my favourite memoirs ever) spelled her name. I’d probably forget how to spell Jeanette too- is it the N or the T that gets doubled?! (I also have trouble with words like recommend and embarrass.) With Jeannette, they both are, simple.

tararyaz Says:

May 5th, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I love -ette names and could care less that they’re dated in France! Claudette is on my list, and the beautiful Bernadette. I couldn’t think of one cuter than Suzette. So many great -ette names!

orphanedhanyou Says:

May 5th, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Ninette twice… all I can hear is kids teasing ninny/nincompoop

phaedraP Says:

May 5th, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Nice post. Note also that French names with the accent on the second syllable make great middles (think of last generation’s Marie or Nicole) because they flow so well with popular English names.

Many of the names on this list would be a wonderful, updated twist on the dated middles that we and our parents were given.

MerMaiden6 Says:

May 6th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

I adore the name Jeanette! I grew up surrounded by neighbors I looked up to, and the oldest, coolest girl was named Jeanette. If it wasn’t so closely associated with her, it might have made it onto my list. Don’t get me wrong, she’s wonderful, but there is enough of an age gap between us that we weren’t all that close. She was one of my first babysitters, and years later I babysat her kids!

As it is, we ended up choosing Anoinette for one of our girls, due this summer.

Kateri Says:

October 27th, 2014 at 8:10 am

Lizette and Lisette are pronounced differently. Lizette is said with a hard Z and Lisette with a soft s like miss.