Four-Syllable Names: A whole lotta name

comments

26 Responses to “Four-Syllable Names: A whole lotta name”

Saranel Says:

October 8th, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Felicity and Cordelia. I ave my Felicity, now to talk DH into Cordelia.

Noetje Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 12:46 am

I love Wilhelmina, but here in the Netherlands it”s still clunky…

Poppy528 Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 12:53 am

Yay yay yay! Great names. When I pronounce any 4 syb “-lia” name it comes out with 3 syllables: Magnolya, Cordelya, etc … same with Montgomery, which I adore. I love all the nicknames you can get out of them.

Other favorites:

Ezriela
Adiela
Henrietta
Astoria
Odelia
Lavinia

auroradawn Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 12:58 am

Araminta and Horatio are in my Top Ten lists! I’m thinking of adding Dorothea (I’m liking the sweet old-fashioned nickname Dolly) and Amadeus (as a middle.)

Others on my lists (firsts and middles): Christiana, Evangeline, Elisabeth, Nicodemus, and Deliverance.

Katja Says:

Magdalena
Rosemarie (German pr.)
Theodora

Cornelius

Mara_lyn86 Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 2:24 am

I love a lot of three to four syllable names and I am so grateful that I have a one syllable surname or they would be way too much. They are probably my most favorite type of name ever.

Danica Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 5:15 am

There are so many girls names I really like.
Amaryllis
Amelia
Anastasia
Araminta
Catalina
Cordelia
Isabella
Katriona
Leonora
Madelina
Melania
Penelope
Seraphina

Not to mention the double names like Anna-Rose, Mia-Maja and Rose-Marie.

The only boy name I really like is Alexander…

maggiemary Says:

Isadora
Persephone
Ariadne
January

klcalder2 Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 8:16 am

I am forever drawn to 4 syllable girls names. I’ve already used one and it’s very likely that I’d use another. For boys, I seem to love mostly 2 and 3 syllable names, but there are a lot of handsome 4 syllable boys names.

skizzo Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 8:55 am

None of those boy names are really appealing. Horatio will never happen, do I even need to explain why? Same goes for Horace.

littlemissmariss Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 9:38 am

Calliope is really pretty, but when I mentioned it to my SO he just went “callie-oh-PEE?” :( Eh, I thought it was darling. I love Ariadne as well, but I don’t think he’d like it either. He does like Aria though, close enough! <3

I love love love Theodora! Its funny because I greatly dislike Dorothea for whatever reason, but Theodora is just so pretty! I do prefer Theodore and for a boy, but I still love Theodora!

Valencia and Catalina are really cute, but I still can't picture Columbia being used… I may only be 18, but pictures of Rocky Horror Picture Show come to mind. I guess a lot of people of my day have never heard of it anyway, it was more towards my dads age. But still.

I really love Ophelia and Wilhelmina as well! So gorgeous! Henrietta would fit in well with all these four syllable names, so pretty!

I feel like I'm the only one I know who likes Horatio :( I've brought it up to other name nerd friends and none of them liked it. I thought it sounded up beat and happy.

I have a tendency to like long and flowy girls names, so this topic suited me perfect! Love it! For boys though, I am a little bit more traditional, with a modern twist. I think the only boys names thats "long" on my list is Alexander and Theodore. The rest of them are along the lines of Archer, Caleb, Roman, Connor, Cole, Grey, etc.

Ah, I love it! :)

GoodHope Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love Olympia! It’s so powerful and pretty. I also love Elizabeth, Alexandra (both family names), and Antonia.

For the most part, though, these long names just don’t do anything for me. I find many of them either too long and ponderous or too frilly and overwrought. One- and two-syllable names are more to my tastes.

Tristan Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 10:05 am

Leonora
Penelope
Elizabeth
Mirabella
Ophelia
Cordelia
Cecilia
Amelia

I do like that “lia” ending. :)

My favorite four-syllable boy name is Emmanuel.

tavn Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love Thelonius…I really do…but it will forever remind me of the guy from Shrek.

GrecianErn Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

My faves at the moment:

Penelope
Cordelia
Elizabeth
Olympia (but here in Iowa… might be too much)

but my sisters picks are very different:
Valentina
Seraphina
Theodora

We like big names here. :)

Flick Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I love 4 syllable names! Cordelia is on the top of our list for a girl.

R_J Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Great list!
Theodora is nice, but I love, love sweet Teodora more.

ClaireElise Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I can’t think of a single 4 syllable boys’ name I like/would use, but there are numerous on my girls’ list, including Cordelia, Cecelia, Felicity, Leonora and Elisabeth.

I just can’t ever make up my mind if 4 syllables is too many!

UniqueNameLover Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Cordelia, Persephone, Isadora and Seraphina are all on my list. Love them!

catcher5 Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Really like Ariadne, but we already have 2 A names in the family.

My daughter’s name is Adelia (uh-dell-yuh), after my great grandma. It could be 4 syllables but we usually slur it to 3. And for short we call her Deli or Del, which I also love because it’s so different from all the little Addies running around, the typical nn for girls with A names it seems.

I like Huck, but not sure I could go all the way to Huckleberry for a boy.

Reubsmum77 Says:

October 9th, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I love long names on girls. My DDs are Cordelia and Persephone.

UniqueNameLover Says:

October 11th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Right….

Saracita00 Says:

October 11th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I was astonished to see so many of my boys favorites featured. Amadeus and Horatio are on my list of long-time loves but even *I* have deemed them over-the-top for contemporary use. Amadeo would be easier to pull off, and instantly falls into that dreamy “Latin o-ending” category. I had Vittorio in serious consideration earlier this year but it was just outside the comfort zone. Huckleberry is fun and the Biblical -iahs are handsome, even if I wouldn’t use any myself. I’m not so thrilled with Thelonius (rhymes with erroneous) and Olivier (I’m not one to call many names snobby-sounding but this is one of them), but still, I would think it was pretty awesome to meet a young man with any of the names on this list.

The girls list sort of makes my eyes roll…they are either frilly or clunky. And I literally laughed out loud over Bolivia. The big exception here is Magnolia and the other floral appellations, which somehow manage to balance the frill and clunk, and I love the nickname possibilities. January treads the line too, though it’s not my favorite.

My favorites not listed are Anastasia and Magdalena for girls (though I like the 5 and 3 syllable versions even more), and for boys Raedanoran is quite intriguing.

periwinkle Says:

October 20th, 2012 at 10:47 am

I really like Jeremiah.

poods Says:

October 30th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Bolivia? Really? For the love of God, please do not name your white middle class child after an impoverished country. What’s next? Haiti? Liberia?