bluejuniper Berry Juice profile image

Doctor Who Names, Part 2–Companion Names: Ace, Tegan and Sarah Jane

posted by: bluejuniper View all posts by this author

comments

15 Responses to “Doctor Who Names, Part 2–Companion Names: Ace, Tegan and Sarah Jane”

Scintiller Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 2:46 am

I love Doctor Who and the companions have definitely had an impact on names I love – Rose, Clara and Amelia are my favourites.

calypsotheoneandonly Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 10:05 am

I’ve never actually watched Doctor Whom, but this makes me wonder if I shouldn’t start, if only for the names. Great list! My favorites – Rose, Melody ‘River Song’, and Clara.

spotlightstarlit Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 10:46 am

As a Whovian- and detester of spoilers- I really wish this blog had been written without so many of them!

I love Romana, Rose and River the most, not just their names, but also their characters. However, Donna’s name fits her the best, the last name Noble coming to describe her in so many ways.

author in writing Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 10:47 am

Doctor Who has really gotten me to appreciate the name Clara! Oswin and Oswald are excellent too – and great shout-out to Ace!

Saracita00 Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Ahh! This article definitely should have had a spoiler alert at the beginning! I’m in the U.S. and I haven’t met Clara yet.

I have to say, Rose Tyler did make me like the name Rose, which I had never cared for before.

eleminty Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Rose and River will always be two if my all time favorite names. Rose is my favorite companion but the name River is so interesting on a girl. (Shoutout to River Tam from Firefly.)

bluejuniper Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Sorry for the spoilers! We’re up to date in Australia and I didn’t realise that wasn’t the case in other countries :(

mel_finch Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I love Amy’s name – Amelia Pond is so storybook and magical. Doctor Who has made me appreciate a lot of names, like Rose, Martha, Sarah Jane and Oswin. I think Clara Oswin Oswald is absolutely fantastic, but I can’t love her name as much because I don’t love the character.

jjayx Says:

December 30th, 2013 at 11:34 pm

I have to admit, whilst I liked Clara on a ‘oh-that’s-nice’ kind of level before Doctor Who, now I love it and it is, in part, thanks to the character.

alphabetdem Says:

December 31st, 2013 at 7:14 am

Love Doctor Who! I love Clara– the character, but her name is good too. I felt it was a bit boring before the show, but her peppy character has breathed some life into it. Lovely!

Rose, Dorothy and Amelia are great, too. Melody has a nice sound (no pun intended), but it’s a big hippie to me…. love River Song.

Elina Says:

January 1st, 2014 at 2:48 am

I love Doctor Who! Out of these I love Amelia, Clara, Rose, Romana, Sarah Jane, River and Melody and I hope to use these in the future as they were all amazing companians with brilliant names.

tori101 Says:

January 1st, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Not a major fan of Doctor Who despite everyone else who has been banging on about the Christmas special I purposely chose not to watch it still the names are lush, my favourites are…

Amelia
Clara
Dorothy
Rose
Romana
Sarah Jane

: )

PetraPlum Says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 11:19 am

Fave companions are Rose and Amy Pond – but River Song is such a fantastic character too. Since she became a companion, the name Clara has really grown on me too, just as Cora became a favourite since Downton Abbey!

PetraPlum Says:

January 2nd, 2014 at 11:21 am

What about Martha – she’s in the picture, but not mentioned. I like that name too, but hard not to associate it with Martha Stewart.

DoctorWho Says:

May 15th, 2014 at 9:10 am

Best programme ever! Doctor Who has made me fall in love with the names Amelia and Clara, which are now my favourite girls’ names, and River Song is an amazing character with a fantastic name :)