Abby Berry Juice profile image

Disney Princess Names: How influential are they really?

posted by: Abby View all posts by this author

comments

11 Responses to “Disney Princess Names: How influential are they really?”

mill1020 Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:34 am

Great post! Disney princess movies/trivia are inevitable when you have a daughter. I know a Tiahna, but she was born in ’06 or ’07 and couldn’t possibly have been Disney-inspired. I also know a Belle (short for Isabelle) who is around ten years old, and her mom liked the idea of the princessy Belle option–I don’t blame her. I’ll have to ask my momfriend Aurora whether her parents were influenced by Sleeping Beauty.
Interestingly, my husband went to high school with a girl named Princess.
I’m doubtful that Anna will get a huge boost, or that the “Ahna” pronunciation of Anna in “Frozen” will become a big thing in the U.S. (unless the Ana spelling as a stand-alone catches on, or Adriana becomes very popular) but Elsa might become quite a bit more popular.

Don’t forget Ariel’s big sisters, who are named Duggar-style: Attina, Aquata, Andrina, Adella, Arista, and Alana.

bluejuniper Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:42 am

Cinderella is pretty unwieldy as a name, but I wonder if the character helped boost other Ella names? There are plenty of versions where this character is known as Ella instead. But I guess then it would be because of the tale itself, and not Disney per se, especially since Isabella/Bella/Ella have only had an upsurge in the last decade, whereas the Disney version came out in 1950(!)

taliesin Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 1:17 am

Ariel and Belle (as well as Bella – before the Isabella took over). Variant Ariella for those who wanted no misunderstanding about the gender but Jasmine’s day in the sun is far from over.

From a specific population pool in the city in which I work, I counted – yesterday – 35 different spellings and variations of the name Jasmine of
minors (under ten). Not thirty five different people, 35 different spellings and variations. It’s not a name I would give my daughter but I’ve heard a whole lot worse. I suspect that this may have fallen under the radar because of all the different spellings and also because quite a few of these children do not have social security numbers.

Abby Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 7:06 am

@bluejuniper – Very good point about Cinderella/Ella.

@Taliesin – I didn’t look at combined spellings of Jasmine over time, but you’re right – there were 3,348 girls named Jasmine in 2012, but combine all the spellings and it is 6,471, not counting Jasmina, Jaslyn, etc. – so there could be a ripple effect.

@mill1020 – Now that you mention it, I know a mom who was planning on Isabelle/Belle for the Disney angle, but she had a boy instead – that was eight years ago. She named her son Sebastian instead – another Disney name!

CsprsSassyHrly Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 9:25 am

This is pretty interesting. Considering the effect Disney princesses seem to have on little girls, I would’ve assumed that there would’ve been a more influential rise on the names given.

I think Elsa was starting to rise already, wasn’t it? I have an aunt whose given name is Elisabeth, and she goes by Elsa. Then I had a friend whose younger sister was Elsa (which I found strange since my friend’s name was Edna and they sounded so similar). Maybe these close interactions with Elsa’s make me think it’s just been around more than it actually has.

rainierloner Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 10:07 am

Merida is one of my favorite names! I love it’s sound, it’s meaning, everything! Brave was a great movie, and I loved the character Merida. Great post!

AprilRobin Says:

January 17th, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I actually know a little girl named Cinderella because it was her mother’s favorite movie. I like the name Merida because it is a pretty unique name and I loved her chracter in the movie. Another name I liked from this list is Ariel but I like her daughter Melody’s name more.

miss_sam Says:

January 18th, 2014 at 3:13 am

Could it be that the little girls who grew up watching the disney princesses are now having babies and start the “disney affect”? I was one of those little girls… Aurora, Belle and Jasmine are some of my fav names but Jasmine is way too popular, Belle has been ruined for me due to Twilight and I feel Aurora is way too obvious of a disney character so I feel I can’t use it…

SoDallas3 Says:

January 19th, 2014 at 4:20 am

I have been considering Elsa for well over a year and feel like that’s the kind of name I’d pick. It’s a family name, has a good long form (if I want it,) it’s commonly used in Germany (my country of heritage) and it has a pretty Disney connection. I love Aurora as well. Aurora, Ariel and Belle were my favourite as a child. Of course, there are less obvious choices like Alice, Evangeline etc. I have a feeling in Australia that Elsa won’t catch on, just because to most people its rather clunky. While Anna won’t catch off with the American/European pronouncition AH-nah, as we pronounce it Ann-AH Belle/Bella/Isabella and Isabelle are unfortunately overrun now which is sad because I find Isabel beautiful!

orphanedhanyou Says:

May 26th, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Can’t see someone using Pocahontas, but recently re-watched this oft forgotten movie amongst the other Disney Princesses and thought what a great name Kocoum is! Coco has become more ‘normal’ for girls, why not Kocoum (or spelling variation thereof) for a boy? Sorta reminds me of Callum…

orphanedhanyou Says: