Classic Names: Ten You Never Thought Of

comments

25 Responses to “Classic Names: Ten You Never Thought Of”

Charlotte Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 3:59 am

Nice list! I think my favourite from that selection is Paladin, although I’m not sure I could see my son wearing it. Oh, and I think Keturah was Abraham’s wife after Sarah, not before.

pam Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 7:56 am

You’re right, of course! Thanks: The post is corrected.

Tanya Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 9:17 am

Love Amoret and Nicasio. Great list.

Elisabeth@YCCII Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 12:29 pm

I have Keturah and Lorcan on a semi regular rotation for names I recommend. Adding Corin and Nicasio to that list.

On Ohdeedoh recently I came across a French Bethsabée, which I thought was enchanting. I believe is their version of Bathsheba?

tikicatt Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 12:53 pm

How do you pronounce Corin? Like the female Corinne – or Kah-rinn with the accent on the first syllable? Loving on the Nicasio name! Very fresh with the uber cool O for the last letter.

pam Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Core like in apple, in as in the opposite of out. Only downside: similarity to Karen and, yes, Corinne.

Boston Girl Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Out of the lot I like Amoret, Corin and Paladin. More cool names for future story characters… :)

olivegreen Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 3:53 pm

I love Amoret and Nicasio–very cool.

Erin Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Wondering about the pron of Nicasio — Nih-case-ee-oh? Or maybe Nih-cash-oh? Or something else?

Like Amoret, Lorcan and Paladin!

Emmy Jo Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Lovely list!

My favorite for girls has got to be Amoret — Spenser also calls her Amoretta at times, which I find just as pretty, though perhaps more likely to be confused with a liquer.

For boys, I wish more parents would turn to Eleazar and Abijah. After all, they’re not a far step from Ezekiel and Elijah. Why shouldn’t they be just as usable?

Sebastiane Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I think all of these names are cool. I would not consider them classics though because to me a classic is a name that has been consistently popular for a long time. Though legit names with a rich history, none of these ever made it to the top 1000.

I am especially fond of these,

AMORET-this is so sweet and romantic

BATHSHEBA –Sheba is an awesome nickname

CIRCE-I have always loved this

KETURAH-Ketty is a sweet nickname

LORCAN

Pam Says:

June 25th, 2009 at 11:12 pm

The pronunciation of Nicasio is nee-KAH-see-oh. Listen here: http://forvo.com/word/nicasio/

teabee Says:

June 26th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I went to school with an Amoret except it was spelled differently so I couldn’t find it here before and wondered if it was made-up. Thanks for the info!

JNE Says:

June 28th, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Toddler TV favorite in my house, Yo Gabba Gabba, has an episode in which a cute little girl named Keturah is featured in the ‘real kids dancing’ portion of the show. I thought it was a very unique and didn’t realize it was a Biblical name. Of all the names on the list, that is the only one I’ve heard in use in any way. Fun post!

Amanda Says:

July 5th, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Corin- also a name from CS Lewis’s “The Horse and His Boy”. Corin was the 2nd in line to the Archenland throne behind his twin brother Cor.

Amanda Says:

July 5th, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Paladin might be a choice that will ring odd with the gaming generation. Many games, from Diablo 2 and World of Warcraft to name two, have a paladin class. I, myself, am known as a draenei paladin! :) The paladin in gaming is referred to by such things as “Pally”, “Pink”, “Laddie”, and “dink”.

robynkit Says:

August 3rd, 2009 at 10:14 am

I suspect we’ll see many more gaming and fantasy names in the near future: WOW: Paladin. Lorcan sounds like a fantasy name to me. The only name I would consider is Corin–Keturah is seldom occasionally used–Biblical names are a good option but there are some of them that sound cumbersome or do not roll off the tongue easily (Uz and Buz, Zadok) and would garner a lifetime of teasing. My daughter just named her son Seth which I like–for a girl I would consider Charis which is Greek for Grace.

Catherine Says:

September 19th, 2009 at 9:16 am

Bersaba is an old Cornish variant of Bathsheba too.

Korin Says:

January 19th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

my name is Korin and i have never heard of of anyone with my name. the closest ive heard of is Corrine but still i guess its nice to have a “unique” name but sometimes i wish my parents didnt name me that particular unique name

Shelley Says:

May 3rd, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Circe is a beautiful name, but aside from its Greek origin, George R.R. Martin bestowed the name “Cersei” upon his completely wicked queen in his A Song of Ice and Fire series… I would totally rank her up there with Jezebel in wicked queen lore.

Leslie Owen Says:

May 7th, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Glad someone mentioned the Lewis connection to Corin.

Keturah is a fairly common African American name in my region of Florida, I know several girls named Keturah. It’s also a somewhat popular Israeli name as well. And Ketty is adorable as a nn.
I’ve always loved Abijah — Bije was the nn — have some colonial ancestors with that name. Another old colonial name that I’ve heard recently (from Puerto Rico) is Adriel.

*person* Says:

June 1st, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Amoret!

rollo Says:

July 14th, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Paladin WOW! A great find; and would his brother be Raphael?

dieselsmomma Says:

November 23rd, 2012 at 11:01 pm

My sister in law is coryn. I really like circe and amoret. ♡♥♡

Oriana1990 Says:

November 18th, 2013 at 8:18 am

n.b. Corin is a female name in Shakespeare, so it’s pretty solidly unisex! Love Lorcan, and Paladin also has a Tolkien link I think?